British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lil Devil

The most naturally gifted rider

Guest Lil Devil

Two spring to mind instantly, Kelly "the jellyman" Moran and the original "PC" Peter Craven, although the latter "PC" Peter Collins wouldn't be out of the reckoning either.

At the risk of going into territory from another thread - got to be Michael Lee. If my memory etc. he top scored with 12 points for Boston in his first ever match, and averaged about 7.5 for Kings Lynn in Division One as their number 8. Not bad for a 16 year old!

I'd agree that Michael Lee was certainly the most precocious rider ever. As a fifteen year old he visited Iwade with the Mildenhall Fen Tigers Junior Team and took 1.5 seconds off the track record.

Then, of course, there was John Louis, who, in his first-ever season finished as Ipswich's top scorer having scored 8 maximums and also took the Silver Helmet. In his second season he averaged 11.31, topping the league averages.

But the most naturally gifted rider ever? Ronnie Moore. He could do anything!

I'd agree Michael Lee was an immense talent, I remember when he first started riding for Kings Lynn, the media was giving him huge wraps, I saw him do amazing things on a bike.

Ronnie Moore was before my time so can't comment there, although I've read about his comeback, to do what he did would take something very special indeed.

Kelly Moran was also incredible on a bike.

I'll throw another name into the hat..Jan O Pedersen.

Guest sheffieldbabe

i think the modt naturally gifted rider has to be someone that has not had loads of money pumped into the sport.

i think the modt naturally gifted rider has to be someone that has not had loads of money pumped into the sport.
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Guest sheffieldbabe

nikki pedderson

Michael Lee was a great rider, but in his first

season as a 16 year old failed to score a point at

Brough Park. It takes the best to excell at BP.

Andy Moore passes the test. What a rider.

You are correct, although sometimes its difficult to see this these days, no matter how good a rider is, he will have to find some serious money from somewhere to compete at the top level.

My dad used to tell me that Tom Farndon was the cats whiskers.

I believe at one time Tom Farndon held the track record at every National League track in the country simultaneously.

He was also the first rider to ride four laps of a speedway track in under 60 seconds.

Ron Johnson once said that the greatest ride he ever saw was when Tom Farndon beat Max Grosskreutz in the Match Race Championship. He dived under Max on the last bend and hugged the white line but still managed to ride the bend at a faster speed than Max who was riding round the middle of the track. Johnson said he had never seen any rider ever handle a machine like Tom did in that race.

Yes, I wish I'd seen him.

Watching this thread with interest and have to agree with a lot of what's already been said. Mike Lee was absolutely blessed with talent. Odd really, because he's probably above the ideal height for a rider.

Also reckon Joe Screen is incredibly gifted. He was a star as soon as he started the sport. I think he's one of those riders who would have achieved so much more in a different era. He's a racer through and through and the tracks of the 70s would have brought out the best in him.