British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
frigbo

LET IT GO!!!

We all know that some riders love the game and find it hard to let it go.

Who are those riders that have either kept racing too long and been a pale shadow of their former selves, or have made ill-advised comebacks??

Phil Crump for Swindon in '92 and Eric Boocock at Halifax in '83 are two that spring readily to mind, who do you recall???

This thread might get a bit :evil: , most of the older/ex riders are heros for most of us on the forum from our childhoods. Some might not take too kindly to fans slating them for whatever reason....be careful what you say ;)

oh please!!!

Who mentioned anything about slating???

Frigbo....... read it again! It was a friendly piece of advice......think before you type that's all, if you want to make something out of the text then be my guest :!: :twisted:

I do think it is a good subject, but doing it respectifully takes a bit of care. It was always sad to me to see a former great hang on a bit too long or make an ill advised comeback. It seems people tend to remember the so called last race, and sometimes forget the past achievements. 8)

from what I have seen of Paul Thorp the last two seasons I would put him in this group - hes lost his cutting edge - I remember what he used to be like when he rode for the Diamonds in 1993 though and no-one can take that away from him!

Martin Ashby riding as a reserve for Reading - oh how the mighty had fallen!!

Thought Ivan Mauger coming back to Exeter for home meetings was a little wrong... although you can't fault the guy he still got an 8 or 9 point average.

I was/am the world's biggest Chris Morton fan.

I must admit - from a purely selfish point of view - I loved it when he came back with Sheffield in 93 - just to get another chance to see him ride again.

Clearly, he wasn't the rider he had been, but very occasionally he could still produce that little bit of magic. He even managed to win the Northern Riders Champs to put the whipper snappers in their place.

Phil Crump for Swindon in '92

Didnt think he did that badly, he came back 6 years after he retired and scored a 6+ average in the BL

Bob Kilby in 83 was pretty bad if you ask me.

I think Frigbo can look after himself and if people choose to take his post the wrong way then that's their problem.

Thank you ML

After all this is a Speedway Discussion Forum and we're not commenting on people in a personal manner.