British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
frigbo

LET IT GO!!!

Phil Crump for Swindon in '92

Didnt think he did that badly, he came back 6 years after he retired and scored a 6+ average in the BL

Bob Kilby in 83 was pretty bad if you ask me.

Thing is Crumpie in his pomp wpuldn't have even sniffed at a 6 point average.

Killer in '83 did struggle badly and seeing Ashby not only at reserve but for Reading as well was a travesty!!

But thats all they expected from him so i dont class it as a failure.

But thats all they expected from him so i dont class it as a failure.

That is very true but did Crumpie really need to scratch around for half a dozen points when 9+ was his norm at his best??

People new to the game would have thought Crumpie only an adequate rider and not the legend he is!

Quite a few riders have made comebacks, it must be so difficult to say "thats it I've had enough" and finish whilst they are on top of there game. Its in there blood.

Ronnie Moore's comeback was legendary, although I can't remember the full details.

There are quite av few others who have kept going a little too long, its like me with the girls, I've had my day but I'm not sure if I know it yet..they do.

On the Crumpie thing, I have to agree that it just didn't feel right watching Phil Crump on his come back. Sure, he may have done the job that was expected of him, but we're talking Crumpie here - the man who once had an article in Speedway Star headlined: 'The best rider in the World?'

In defence of Bob Kilby - yes he was hopeless but wasn't he only persuaded to have a go due to a chronic injury problem in the Swindon team?

I think Frigbo can look after himself and if people choose to take his post the wrong way then that's their problem.

Thank you ML

After all this is a Speedway Discussion Forum

In my defence here, this was the point I was trying to make :!: apologies for not wording it better :oops:

Guest Sir Lunchalot

Is it sad for the riders too when they come back and perform below their peak or just sad for the fans ? Why I say that is that some guys just have it in their blood and are happy just to be out there. So long as they are happy and there is a place for them then why not let them enjoy one last fling before they finally give it up ?

The good aspect is they have the opportunity to pass some of their experience on to the younger riders. The obvious downside is that they may be keeping a promising young rider out of getting a regular ride but as long as they aren't doing that then let them go for it I say.

I think Frigbo can look after himself and if people choose to take his post the wrong way then that's their problem.

Thank you ML

After all this is a Speedway Discussion Forum

In my defence here, this was the point I was trying to make :!: apologies for not wording it better :oops:

No probs Shazzy, sorry if i was a bit spikey in my response!

It’s certainly sometimes hard for fans to see their old favourites struggling and sporting that shiny little leather paunch underneath the race jacket. I suppose some riders are just happy to be there whereas others are forced to face up to the sad realisation that they are no longer World beaters. Most of the riders mentioned here soon retired after realising the young ‘uns had the beating of them. Others (eg Malcolm Simmons, Les Collins come to mind) seem quite happy to keep going for as long as they possibly can and just enjoy their racing.

and bloody good luck to them too!!!

as a few have said, if it's in your blood and you enjoy it, who cares about age.

my grandparents are 87 & 85 and my grandad wasn't very well last week. i was rather concerned as he is 87 and he just put it down to 2 bottles of red wine and too much sex!!! immediate thoughts are 'they shouldn't be doing that at their age', but why not?? they enjoy it.

speedway is the same

my grandparents are 87 & 85 and my grandad wasn't very well last week. i was rather concerned as he is 87 and he just put it down to 2 bottles of red wine and too much sex!!! immediate thoughts are 'they shouldn't be doing that at their age', but why not?? they enjoy it.

I'm halfway there, I know where I can get the red wine from..................... :cry:

On this point I can remember at Cradley in 1981 when Arnie Haley was struggling badly as a reserve and the crowd were giving him stick.

Just felt that a rider who had once been so good didn't need to go through that, I certainly like to remember him in his Owlerton pomp.

Arnie Pander when he was scratching around in second halves at Cradley.

I certainly like to remember him in his Owlerton pomp.

The Japanese made bloody good cars in them days didn't they. :lol:

Ron Johnson at New Cross and Edinburgh 1960/61. Ron had been there done it etc since 1927. I remember Ron having a match race with Geoff Pymar which must have been a record for the oldest combined age for riders who were still riding for league teams as opposed to Golden Greats etc type meetings. You still have to admire them though - it must be in the blood.