British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
frigbo

LET IT GO!!!

No probs Shazzy, sorry if i was a bit spikey in my response!

You'll get used to me Frigbo and my tact ;) it does lack somewhat :oops:

I remember watching Alan Grahame struggling around Cradley probably collecting three points max and getting relegated to reserve, I really felt for the guy. Such a shame for a rider that gave the sport so much. It was nice to see him rekindle some form when he moved to Hull towards the end of his speedway career. Its still good to know he is still actively involved in motocross, presumably still trying to get the racing bug out of his system.

Guest Old Swinger

The saddest "comeback" that I remember was Lionel Levy who resumed riding at the age of 58 and was killed in an accident at the Sydney Showground in 1968. After all he had achieved in his career there was nothing left for him to prove - but as you say, it must have been in his blood.

R.I.P Porky

Guest Old Swinger
resumed riding at the age of 58

My fingers are faster than my brain. Lionel was 52 when he died.

agree with you there LT, but you'll find Shazzy is more 'squat' than 'squaw'

oh Honey, what sort of replies are you gonna get to that I wonder ;)

On the Crumpie thing, I have to agree that it just didn't feel right watching Phil Crump on his come back. Sure, he may have done the job that was expected of him, but we're talking Crumpie here - the man who once had an article in Speedway Star headlined: 'The best rider in the World?

I'm with you on this one Grachan, I agree they didn't expect the rider he once was, but I went to Bradford v Swindon to see him in 1990, and it was pretty painful to watch.

I also really used to like Chris Morton who has been mentioned, and he did eventually get back into decent scores in the lower league when he rode for Sheffield in 1993, but it was horrendous to watch him in the first half dozen or so meetings (even allowing for the rest of the Tigers being totally rubbish at the time!). I know he had been out for two years, but he was struggling to pass riders who, with all due respect and no offence meant, wouldn't have got within a lap of him at his best.

The thread on Scottish speedway riders got me thinking on this subject-I saw Ken Mckinlay in the early 70's at Oxford-Ken went on too long perhaps(born in1928)-however I also recall Harry Edwards and Howdy Byford going on a bit too long-but all these guys graced the sport in one way or another-bless 'em all.

I seem to recall an article about Eric Boocock (in a Star in the earlyish 90's) where he said he regretted his comeback and also think that Crash Ashby's loss of form was partially due to a broken collarbone mid-season but also due to an unspecified illness he had (don't know what it was though).

Have to agree about Kilby's attempted comeback - shame.

Other's to have failed on the return trail would be (early 60's all) - Buster Brown, George White, Goog Hoskin & Bob Roger. In Tony Lethbridge's vol 3 on Exeter Hoskin also says he regretted doing it.

How old would Goog have been in the early 60's ,ditto George White??

Ron Johnson at New Cross and Edinburgh 1960/61. Ron had been there done it etc since 1927. I remember Ron having a match race with Geoff Pymar which must have been a record for the oldest combined age for riders who were still riding for league teams as opposed to Golden Greats etc type meetings. You still have to admire them though - it must be in the blood.

Yes, Ron must be the classic example. He also tried a comeback in 1963 at New Cross when he rode in a second half match race against Phil Bishop!

How old would Goog have been in the early 60's ,ditto George White??

Sorry don't know though a guess would be 40 something. Both Roger and White's attempted comebacks were after serious injuries though.

Harry Edwards, Wal Morton, Geoff Pymar .... 3 riders who rode for many years. The likes of Harwood Pike can be added. All these blokes, from my memory, just loved Speedway. One rider I was always told who went on too long was the great Jack Parker but as long as he wanted to race who would have had the nerve to say "Stop" to a bloke like Jack. Billy Bales, Phil Clarke & Aub Lawson were long serving Norwich Stars who rode until they were ready to pack it in. That is how it should be

Edited by star ghost