British Speedway Forum
Ian

Speedway's Greatest Promoters

This section of the Forum contains a large number of interesting posts from those of us who can look back over many years of watching speedway, and also those who are keen to know more about what it was all like. We've had threads about who was the best rider, what was the best meeting, what was the best track and things of that type. Here's one, though. Who was the greatest promoter of his or her time?

I started watching the sport in 1962, so I have a few to consider in my list. But first we need to define what it is that makes a promoter "great".

Is it long-term commitment to a club? Is it showmanship? Personality? Business acumen? PR capability? Maybe it's a combination of these and other factors.

I suppose that Johnnie Hoskins would get a very high percentage of the vote if a poll were held. The Great Man's place in history is assured by the sheer volume of written and anecdotal evidence which surrounds him, together with the not inconsiderable advantage of being credited by many with having "invented" the sport. However, Johnnie was probably past his peak by even the early sixties so I'm not sure I could put him in first position.

I can immediately think of five from the 60s whom I would regard as "up there or thereabouts". Here they are.

Ian Hoskins during his Old Meadowbank era. A showman supreme, helped along by his experience and interest in acting. Ian could hold an audience of 6000 in the palm of his hand; he would run the whole gamut of emotions from A through to B (apologies to Dorothy L Parker!) and then on a bit further. Any small snippet of information would attain the significance of a worldwide exclusive; the arrival of his latest signing would be heralded as if it were the second coming. A home defeat for Monarchs called for every response short of actual invasion of the victorious team's town, or in the case of really heavy defeats, possibly even England. He managed to convey much of that personality through into the press too. Perhaps his most endearing characteristic was his capacity for letting us all laught at him as well as with him.

Len Silver at his best at Hackney. To be honest I always thought he had learned a lesson or two from the Hoskins family because there were some similarities. The nickname "Leaping Len" was certainly justified by the energy he would put into these Friday night shows. Who else could make such a major issue of throwing a coin into the crowd after the toss?

Trevor Redmond in the 60s promoted at Neath, then at Glasgow. Here was another larger-than-life personality who knew how to get a crowd going (and that's largely what "atmosphere" at meetings is about, isn't it?) I think Trevor drifted away from speedway after his spell at Wembley in the early 1970s, and I always felt that was our loss.

Here's a controversial nomination - Mike Parker. After the disastrous slump in attendances in the middle 1950s, the long climb back to a golden age for speedway started in 1960 with the formation of the Provincial League. Mike Parker started that league, and I seem to remember that he owned about half the teams that participated. I never saw a Mike Parker-promoted meeting; perhaps he was a thoroughly dull individual. But it can't be denied that Mike, along with partners like Reg Fearman and Bill Bridgett, really went for it and may have been speedway's salvation. Controversial? He certainly would have been on this Forum. After all, he looked like a guy who was making money, and he owned more tracks that the Russell brothers have had hot dinners. If the greatest promoter is defined as the one who makes the biggest success of the largest number of tracks then Mike's the boy. He was astute enough to resist trying to be popular - that was a job for the riders.

How about Dave Lanning at West Ham in 1965, first year of the British League? A fabulous team and a brilliant front man. I remember the night they came to Meadowbank as one of the most memorable meetings I ever saw. We were beaten, but did it really matter? There was a virtuoso performance by Big Dave and Ian Hoskins each doing their bit to get the crowd going. Sheer theatre of course, but theatre of a very high standard. Dave went on to bring his enthusiasm to many an ITV speedway broadcast, and may well have won over new fans in the course of doing so.

That's my five for today, with apologies to all the good guys whom I didn't mention. Incidentally, they all had one common understanding which I sometimes think is lost on some of today's promoters - they knew the importance of projecting the personalities of their riders to the fans, and they were smart enough to let the riders get on and do that.

Good thread and good choices Ian.

I was lucky enough to start off at New Cross in 1960, promoted by the incomparable Johnnie Hoskins. There is no doubt he was still a great character, 37 years after he says he invented the sport. He created so much publicity for the club and speedway seizing on every incident and getting it in to the local papers and the speedway press.

I've never really seen Ian Hoskins or Trevor Redmond at close quarters so can't really comment.

You are right about Mike Parker and I would agree with you about what he did for the sport. He revived Hackney amongst others, and you are also right, he was very dull! But his place is certainly assured.

Len Silver is probably the last in the mould of the Johnnie Hoskins type promoter and, love him or hate him, you can't really belittle his place in the history of speedway. He also loved Rye House so much he bought the company....

Dave Lanning was another great personality, but he wasn't promoter at West Ham in their great year of 1965 - that was former World Champion Tommy Price.

Two other names I would like to add - Ronnie Greene. A strict disciplinarian by all accounts but his riders loved him and he produced arguably the greatest team of all time in the late 50s and early 60s with Wimbledon.

The other is John Berry. So inexperienced when he came in to the sport that the Control Board were dubious about allowing him a license, but look what he managed over the years. I think he is particularly worthy of being named as one of the greats for getting together a team of local riders able to take on everyone and win the league. He had no need to resort to the chequebook. He trained up his own riders. He was also absolutley opposed to guest riders and even when one of his top riders was injured he would replace them with another local lad.

Well, that's my fourpennorth. Any more for any more?

Edited by norbold

But it can't be denied that Mike, along with partners like Reg Fearman and Bill Bridgett, really went for it and may have been speedway's salvation.

Oooo there's someone I must get to read that :wink::lol:

I suppose Charles Ochiltree should be classed as one of the sports greatest promoters, but I find it very hard to be so charitable in view of the fact he shut Leicester down and sold the land for housing. :cry:

Im going for Joe Thurley revived speedway in Birmingham after over a decade away, in those first 5 seasons, 2 Lge championships, 1 knock out cup final winner inc a double in 74 plus gaining entry into the big league in 76, what we'd give now for a Thurley. :(

I've got to mention Dan Mcormick.

The Scotsman who turned the tide at Cradley Heath.

Until Dan's arrival Cradley were traditional easybeats, Dan changed things dramatically.

He's the man that brought in Anders Michanek, then there was the likes of Bruce Penhall, Bobby Schwartz, Erik Gundersen, Phil Collins, Alan Grahame, etc.

So although Cradley didn't win the league until 1981 they made gradual improvements in the league until then and it was the basis of Mcormick's team that finally did it.

However before that there were the KO Cup wins, League Cup, etc, etc.

He was a no nonsense character who swayed the axe, it took plenty of guts to sack Heathens legend Bernie Persson prior to the glory years, and he did receive plenty of verbal from the Cradley fans, however he kept at the job and laid the foundations for future Cradley promoters.

Johnnie Hoskins may have been past his peak by the 1960's but he was still the greatest even then. My proudest moment in Speedway was when I got to shake his hand and talk to him for a few minutes at Wimbledon one NLRC night. :):):):)

How about Dave Lanning at West Ham in 1965, first year of the British League? A fabulous team and a brilliant front man. I remember the night they came to Meadowbank as one of the most memorable meetings I ever saw. We were beaten, but did it really matter? There was a virtuoso performance by Big Dave and Ian Hoskins each doing their bit to get the crowd going. Sheer theatre of course, but theatre of a very high standard. Dave went on to bring his enthusiasm to many an ITV speedway broadcast, and may well have won over new fans in the course of doing so.

As Norbold says Dave did not promote "the ammres" in 65 and I am afraid I seem to have no pleasant memories of him, from my time at custom house! :shock::(

All I have is an unpleasant name inked in on the top of a picture of him from that time!

I was young and hard to please!

Now Tommy price, thats another story!

However, Johnnie was probably past his peak by even the early sixties so I'm not sure I could put him in first position.

:o:o:o

Past his peak? I have a lot of good memories from my time supporting Canterbury in the late 60's, early 70's and a lot of them include Johnnie, even in the twilight of his promoting days he was a fantastic showman and always the centre of attention. Absolutely no doubt in my mind, Johnnie Hoskins No1!! :approve:

Johnnie Hoskins may have been past his peak by the 1960's but he was still the greatest even then. My proudest moment in Speedway was when I got to shake his hand and talk to him for a few minutes at Wimbledon one NLRC night. :) 

However, Johnnie was probably past his peak by even the early sixties so I'm not sure I could put him in first position.

:o

Past his peak? I have a lot of good memories from my time supporting Canterbury in the late 60's, early 70's and a lot of them include Johnnie, even in the twilight of his promoting days he was a fantastic showman and always the centre of attention. Absolutely no doubt in my mind, Johnnie Hoskins No1!! :approve:

The man was a legend, right to the end. There have been / are some good promotors but JH will always be Mr Speedway and he was "Ours" :wink::approve:

There was only one "Governor" - Charlie Knott the Saints promoter. I can remember his rivalry with Johnny Hoskins to this day :)

Although he was a promoter of a more recent time than some of those mentioned, and was of a very different style to most of those mentioned, may I suggest Colin Hill for overall contribution to his club/town.

If you review the glowing tributes following his untimely death, I feel that he would sit very comfortably in this company.

I don't know where the Sheffield fans are on this thread but Frank Varey promoted at Sheffield for the longest time. He was Mr Sheffield speedway for me in the 60's and 70's. A bunch of us worked the track on Thursdays and gave up our weekends to help out on Sundays at the practices!....Once or twice the old Diablo Rojo temper came out at the meetings even though Frank had a heart complaint!... A few times we were invited back for Sunday dinner at his home. He was a great guy to know. I wish I had been wiser back then and asked him questions about the old days. Frank left Sheffield to go to our Arch rivals Belle Vue but he had ties there first even though he was a yorkshireman through and through!

I remember him bringing an old Dent Oliver into the team and once he brought in an over 50 Wilf Plant for a meeting! I miss the 60's at Owlerton!

Elizabeth Taylor (Mrs T) and son Ken who kept Berwick going for a decade or so and also dabbled at Newtongrange and Sunderland.

Don't think people realise how small a town Berwick is (around 25,000) and to get crowds of 2-3,000 was quite some achievement.