British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
howling gorgon

One for leicester fans - hope its not too depressing

H, I think Blackbird Road had got to the stage where it needed investment and CO decided that an offer from Barretts was too good to refuse, Martin Rogers was ready to carry on promoting but had no choice, your dead right that CO was great for Coventry, the facilities there were, and probably still are, first class, the track however never came close to the quality of racing seen at Leicester, it was always a trappers paradise. thanks again for the pics, I will keep them as a reminder of some great nights !

maybe one day the Lions will roar again !

I wouldn't hold your breath mate. :x BTW, Ray Wilson was my first true sporting hero. I idolised him as a schoolboy. 8)

There is a photo in our local paper tonight of the Stadium Grandstand being demolished in 1985. :-(

Also a piece about Leicester announcer Ken Mason, who also helped out with commentating at Coventry, Cradley and Halifax.

Credit where it's due I must admit although we haven't got a Speedway team, the Leicester Mercury regularly has articles about our sport and used to give updates on David Howe's career. Since he joined Wolverhampton though I haven't seen anything. :P

Gemini, yes I saw that tonight, very evocotive it was to, I was trying to remember Kens voice and any sayings he used, but to no avail ! I agree that the LM have never forgotten the speedway much to their credit, Liontamer, don`t worry I am not holding my breath for the return of the Lions ! Willy was also my hero, I have some fantastic memories of him, what`s your favorate ?

Willy was also my hero, I have some fantastic memories of him, what`s your favorate ?

One of my best memories was sitting in the Blackbird Road changing rooms with the team for the first time, & getting to talk to him. Also I remember buying a set of leathers off him & him having to come round my house to borrow them back as he'd forgotten to pack his & was on his way to Kings Lynn.

I can also remember the red face mask & scarf he used to wear, & the way he so often twitched at the starting gate before a vital last heat decider, causing one of the opposition riders to break the tapes. Happy happy days. :cry:

The biggest memory I have of Ray Wilson is taking Martin Ashby on the last bend in the British Final and condemning my hero to reserve in the 1975 World Final. I still haven't forgiven him!

Is there a decent fanbase for speedway in leicester? what happened to Martin Rogers?

Is there no possibility of a revival, even at conference level?

Great memories Liontamer, have you still got the leathers, which ones were they, the blue ones with the stripes, those red ones with the chequred patern or the "BOSTIK" yellow ones ? do you know what Ray`s doing now ? Hey Grachan, The British final you mention, that was my favorate Willy memory, in those days only 4 riders qualified and Ray was knocked off in his first ride by Simmo, that meant he needed at least 11 from his remaining 4 rides, he rode like a demon only loosing to Tiger Louis, and tied on 11 with Crashby, the run off was fantastic Martin leading for most of the way but world cup Willy took the win, breathtaking ! H, I think Martin Rogers moved to Austrailias gold coast not long after Leicester closed, the most recent talk of a track in Leicester was the Saffron lane sports centre but we`ll belive it when it happens !

Great memories Liontamer, have you still got the leathers, which ones were they, the blue ones with the stripes, those red ones with the chequred patern or the "BOSTIK" yellow ones ? do you know what Ray`s doing now ?

The red ones with the chequered pattern, They were provided by a sponsor & he always hated them. I always regret selling them. Ray is now semi-retired, but still does a bit of HGV driving. Dosen't go to speedway nowadays though. 8)

We always looked forward to a visit to Leicester, the hot dogs were magnificent. Favourite memory: Malcolm Shakespeare v Ole Olsen in the Golden Helmet! :!:

Found this via speedwayplus.co.uk

http://community.webshots.com/album/19841295yaPObOapts.

Bring back any memories?

Who is the little girl?

Thanks for the memories. Mine go back even further than Ray Wilson. To his dad Ron in the 1950s. Pedlar Palmer, Harwood Pike, Lionel Benson, Jack Geran, Johnny? Beaumont. Come on you old timers give me some more names. Even a few of the last leg trailers Phil? Bishop. They used to fight for the FENCE not the white line. Gone but not quite forgotten :cry:

Yipee....Someone who goes back as far as me. :D

Johnny (?) Beaumont was actually Les. Bet you remember now.

Others from the Hunters - Vic Pitcher, Len Williams, Jock Grierson, Jack Winstanley, Johnnie Carpenter, Joe Bowkis, Charlie Barsby, Cyril Page, Jack Mountford, Roy Bester, Dennis Parker, Gordon McGregor, Ron Phillips, Johnnie Green, Alf Hagon, Harry Bastable, Bryan Elliott and not forgetting the most successful of the lot Ken McKinlay (whilst they were called the Hunters.)

There were of course many, many others.

Oooh! I am coming over all nostalgic. Thanks for that. :lol:

What excellent photo's nice to look back on the past, I Love it!! :D

& to think it's now been reduced to hundreds of Barretts crappy little overpriced cardboard boxes. (Bitter? Me? Too *%#@ing right I am). :cry: