British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Issue 7

Issue 7 of Backtrack Magazine includes...

John Louis is Mister Ipswich and in this issue 'Tiger John' looks back over his brilliant career as England racing legend, team manager and promoter, most of them spent with his beloved Witches. Louis recalls the rise of his home town club from a Suffolk backwater outfit to the pinnacle of British speedway as BL double winners in the mid-70s. But it wasn't all glory and happiness...he also reflects candidly on his fall out with promoter John Berry, when he was discarded from the team in 1980 and the hurt that caused him. He talks of his famous fellow heat leaders at Foxhall, Tony Davey and the late Billy Sanders...and why he still can't comprehend why Sanders took his own life 20 years ago.

Also...why our top columnist John Berry believes the time to hoour John Louis is now long overdue...

Rick Miller was one of the colourful, spectacular American riders of the 80s, when he won consecutive British League titles with Coventry. The Californian talks from his home about the great days at Brandon, riding for Charles Ochiltree and learning the ropes under Ole Olsen, plus his fall-outs with race partner John Jorgensen. And Rick also explains how he's now earning a living as a stuntman, rubbing shoulders with some of Hollywood's finest in top movies and TV commercials.

George Hunter lost his battle against cancer in 1999, but we present an interview conducted by Richard Bott shortly before the Scottish speedway legend's death in which looks back over his turbulent career and how things might hgave been so different. In an astonishingly frank interview, George admits how he was later haunted by the crash that claimed the life of Peter Craven...and how he reacted when he came face to face with Craven's young children.

Peter Collins will never forget the glorious summer of 1976 and we bring back great memories of that time with a review of the World Final from Poland, as well as some memories from fans who travelled all the way to Katowice to witness PC's finest hour.

Steve Bastable hit the heights in 1981 when he was the shock winner of the British Final. Stevie B looks back on that momentous night at Coventry, as well as the ups and downs of his career with clubs like Stoke, Cradley Heath, Birmingham, Swindon and Coventry.

Barry Crowson made history by competing in the first-ever Division Two race for Canterbury at Belle Vue in 1968. Barry also looks back at his spells with Crusaders' arch rivals Eastbourne, plus King's Lynn and why moving to Wimbledon in the mid-70s was a mistake.

King's Lynn celebrate their 40th anniversary this year and to mark the landmark we publish an extract from former Lynn promoter Martin Rogers' new book, Forty Years On; King's Lynn Speedway. We look back at the big impact made by Stars' former England stars, Terry Betts, Malcolm Simmons, Michael Lee and Dave Jessup. Plus check how some of the old Saddlebow Road favourites look today with our picture coverage from the recent Lynn reunion, including up to date shots of Lee, Betts, Simmons, Ian Turner, Ray Bales, Mel Taylor and Graham Edmunds.

Plus...

Anders Michanek was brought to England in 1968 by promoter Reg Fearman, who recalls the success of the Super-Swede and some of the more lighter moments of their relationship.

Scunthorpe are back in business after an absence of 20 years and we talk to former Scunny No.1 Nicky Allott about his memories from days gone by at the club's two previous tracks.

John Berry returns with part two of his lament to the passing of Rider Control and the old controversial method of trying to balance team strengths in another major talking point feature.

Latest reviews...we've got the low down on the new Bruce Penhall Story on DVD/Video, plus the new, remastered World Speedway Champions of the 80s production.

And especially for fans of Danish riders, we've a special two-page picture spread reviving memories of Hans Nielsen, Erik Gundersen, Jan O Pedersen and a host of others who came from Denmark to make their mark on British speedway in the 70s and 80s.

-----------------

Subscribers' copies being mailed out today (Tues, March 29), so please give it time!

If you haven't subscribed yet, and don't want to miss an issue due to rain-offs at the tracks, then why not click on the front cover image below and subscribe online to the next six issues for:

£16 - UK; £22 - Europe (air mail); Rest of World (air mail) - £30.

Cheers,

Tony Mac

Edited by tmc

Got my issue yesterday (usual excellent standard).

What Tmc fails to mention is the undoubted highlight of this issue which is to be found in the Steve Bastable feature. Included in a 70's Potters team pic is a very youthful and hirsute Mr Van Straaten!!! Top pic!!!

And there was me thinking it was one of Status Quo!!

Interesting, also, to see how some of the old riders have aged. It's wierd. You don't see them for 30 odd years, and they turn up looking like someone famous.

Okay, Malc Simmons, Terry Betts and Paul Woods don't look much different, but when did Mel Taylor become Peter York? And Ray Bales looks remarkably like Norman Collier.

Then there's David Gagen without a feathercut. That's so wrong. How can you have David Gagen without a feathercut? He's now morphed into Joe Brown, while Ian Turner looks like he's about to burst into the chorus of 'Agadoo'.

Also, Bobby McNeil. I've often wondered how Bobby McNeil might look these days. I was expecting him to have aged in a similar way to Charlie George of Arsenal. But NO!! He looks like he should be Chancellor of the Exchequer - a kind of cross between Nigel Lawson, Gordon Brown and Geoffery Howe. Hope his cocxyx is okay these days.

It has also suddenly occured to me after looking at page 10 that John Louis now looks remarkably like Tommy 'TV on the radio' Vance.

Amazing.

Well done to all at the Backtrack mag, this goes from strength to strength.

What Tmc fails to mention is the undoubted highlight of this issue which is to be found in the Steve Bastable feature. Included in a 70's Potters team pic is a very youthful and hirsute Mr Van Straaten!!! Top pic!!!

Yes, I was in hysterics looking at that picture!! I enjoyed the Stevie B interview, he was one of my favourite riders when I first started watching.

And there was me thinking it was one of Status Quo!!

How can you have David Gagen without a feathercut? He's now morphed into Joe Brown, while Ian Turner looks like he's about to burst into the chorus of 'Agadoo'.

Grachan, your first quote reminded me of the Quo on TOTP once, and my mum said, "do you remember when Phil White had his hair like that?"!! Shame it was just a pic of Nicky Allott in the mag and not the whole Scunthorpe side of the day :lol:

I know - isn't it a culture shock to see what some of them look like now?

Wonderful stuff as always, some of the behind-the-scenes "truths" come as a bit of a surprise to me sometimes, although you kind of suspected there was something not quite right.

I loved the 1976 memories, how I wish I could have been at that World Final - although, indirectly, that meeting is why I am here now!

Yes, tell us more Tigerblade.

Inc-de-ly. I ju- reali- it- no- Ray Bales who loo- li- Norman Collier bu- Graham Edmunds.

How do i go about just getting a single edition?

Being a Huge Bees fan i am after the latest issue with Rick Miller`s interview.

pls can anybody help ??

Ross

Loved it as usual, John Louis and Barry Crowson pieces .......... excellent!

Tell us more.....

Yes, tell us more Tigerblade.

Inc-de-ly. I ju- reali- it- no- Ray Bales who loo- li- Norman Collier bu- Graham Edmunds.

I think you two have got the wrong end of the stick :blink: I meant that I was sitting typing at the forum as an indirect result of the 1976 World Final :lol: It was because PC was at Sheffield in an individual meeting a couple of weeks after his win, that my dad decided to take us to the speedway, as he'd seen something about the World Champion being in town. Incidentally Grachan, I enjoyed reading about your trip.

Let's hope that Graham Edmunds doesn't do chicken impressions as well :D

Thanks Tigerblade.

I have to say, by the way, that the more I look at the back row of that Stoke picture, the more it looks like a line of geezers headbanging to 'Born to be Wild' at the local village disco.

I loved the 1976 memories, how I wish I could have been at that World Final -

Me too - that's the biggest regret of my speedway life, not going to that meeting!

How do i go about just getting a single edition?

Being a Huge Bees fan i am after the latest issue with Rick Miller`s interview.

pls can anybody help ??

Ross

You should be able to buy it at Brandon on Friday.

Got my issue yesterday (usual excellent standard).

Again,great issue.One of my early memories of Div.2 racing was seeing Stoke beat Rye House in the opening meeting '75 at Hoddesdon.I used to be able to persuade my dad to take me to 1 or 2 meetings a year outside London :D Anyway it was an away win for the Potters with Alan Molyneux scoring 15 and Steve Bastable at reserve scoring 14,paid 15.Mularkey was having problems with King's Lynn and not sure why"Crazy" Jack wasn't riding :(

"Also, Bobby McNeil. I've often wondered how Bobby McNeil might look these days."

Another excellent read, old speedway riders giving some honest interviews, love the Fanzine type feel of Backtrack.

Great to see the pic of Bobby McNeil one of my speedway heroes; I definately would never have recognised him today even if he was standing right in front of me!

The PC newspaper clipping I have in a scrapbook along with many other clippings from national newspapers (mainly the Daily & Sunday Mirror) from that era. Coverage in the daily papers nowadays is virtually non-existent which is a real shame.

Edited by Brian L