British Speedway Forum

Guest Ego

Strewth!!!! Give Peter a chance, he has only just found out how many riders are interested in riding in the league. He has to sort these into even teams and then find out which clubs want to stage meetings and the dates these clubs have available. Oh I forgot to mention arranging dates for the Under 15 Championship, writying for the Star as well as doing his job at Coventry etc, etc,.......

any info on the dates for the u-15 champs and league yet anyone???

i know its not that long since the assesment day but holidays are needing to be booked!!!

Under 15 champs

Buxton 1st May

Armadale 28 May

Weymouth 30 May

cant remember the rest will post soon

No dates for league set yet

phil

The bad news is that the Scorpions are racing on all three of those dates, the good news is that they are at Buxton on 1st May and I'll be able to watch that round :)

The bad news is that the Scorpions are racing on all three of those dates, the good news is that they are at Buxton on 1st May and I'll be able to watch that round  :)

Come and say Hi looking forward to the Scorpions round in June.Shame with me being so ill during the winter that George never got to one of the training schools

:sad:

OK HERES THE WORDS TAKEN FROM PETER OAKS'S LETTER TO MY SON.

THERE WILL BE A TOTAL OF SEVEN ROUNDS

1 BUXTON SUN 2 MAY 1

2 ARMADALE SAT MAY 28

3 WEYMOUTH MON MAY 30

4 NEWPORT SUNDAY JUNE 6

5 VENUE AND DATE TBA SOMETIME IN JULY OR AUGUST

6 SHEFFIELD DATE TBA SEPTEMBER

7 MILDENHALL SUNDAY OCT 2ND

BRITISH ACADAMY LEAGUE DATES TBA

I UNDERSTAND THERE ARE 9 SEEDED RIDERS WHO WILL TAKE PART IN ALL ROUNDS.

ALL OTHER RIDERS WILL BE INCLUDED BY ONLY ALLOWING THEM TO COMPETE IN 3 ROUNDS EACH.

I have recently read that SOME riders who finished in the top 5 last year are also entered in 2005 and whilst they meet the age criteria is it fair to allow riders who have a conference league contract and 6 months conference league experience to ride in this championship ?I feel that the number of riders who want to take part has been underestimated and maybe future years may well see the addition of an under 13 championship so as to let all entrants get all 7 rounds in.Keeping the championship as it is will see some closer racing than last year and will keep the public well entertained.Josh will have to work very hard to retain his title.Good luck to all.

Phil and Dan Greenwood

Come and say Hi looking forward to the Scorpions round in June.Shame with me being so ill during the winter that George never got to one of the training schools

:sad:

I'll come say Hi Steve. I now know what you look like after seeing you organise the Buxton session so well.

Is there a U-15 round at Scunny? Morganbike suggests not but I hope there will be.

I've just read the thread about your hospital stay. It sounded grim. Hope you're fully recovered now though.

I have recently read that SOME riders who finished in the top 5 last year are also entered in 2005 and whilst they meet the age criteria is it fair to allow riders who have a conference league contract and 6 months conference league experience to ride in this championship ?I feel that the number of riders who want to take part has been underestimated and maybe future years may well see the addition of an under 13 championship so as to let all entrants get all 7 rounds in.Keeping the championship as it is will see some closer racing than last year and will keep the public well entertained.Josh will have to work very hard to retain his title.Good luck to all.

Phil and Dan Greenwood

Hi Phil and Dan,

Thanks for the dates. Unfortunately Scorpions fixtures may limit me to 2 or 3 rounds (Buxton, Sheffield and hopefully the unknown one).

Regarding the U-15 championship I think the very best who qualify by age should be able to compete. It is a very prestigious competition and would be severely devalued if someone won it this year when there was, for example, four U-15 riders who weren't allowed to ride because of previous experience. However, I hope the youth speedway scene continues to expand and your idea of an U-13 championship is a very good one.

As for the U-15 league, I hope that riders who are already riding regularly in the CL, and one of the nine seeds in the Championship, don't fill up spaces in this competition that could otherwise be taken by riders who aren't getting regular competitive speedway. My understanding is the league is in place to give riders experience and not about who wins the league/tops the averages. I think it was a very good decision not to allow league clubs to have their own teams. Of course the U-15 league needs to be competitive (both on a team and individual basis) but it would be very disappointing if suitable riders got squeezed out.

Let's hope there are lots of league fixtures to satisfy all the young talent that is around. Once they can fully slide then I'd say they need competitive track time.

Edited by Scunny Stag

As far as I am aware the only rider from last years top 5 in the U15 Championship who is age eligible is Josh Auty. As I remember it the others were Shane Waldron, Simon Lambert, Gary Cottham and Matt Bates all of whom were born in 1989 so won't be eligible.

As far as the league goes I know the age criteria is slightly different and allows for riders who were still 15 at the start of the season. Many of these will have CL experience but I would assume that the reasons for their inclusion are that the CL may be a big step up and this league could be a confidence builder when things aren't going too well. This was certainly the case for Sam last year when the U15 rounds gave him the chance to be competitive after spending time riding at 2 or 4 in the CL and really struggling. There is also the need for riders to be competing who have enough experience to entertain the crowds, there won't be too many tracks volunteering to hold rounds in future years if the crowds don't enjoy it. Finally but probably most importantly riders need to be competing against faster opponents in order to improve, for the youngsters this will usually be those with CL experienece and those riders are competing against fater riders all the time in the CL. Otherwise the standard will remain stagnant. If you watched the early U15 rounds last year there were a couple of riders head and shoulders above the rest but during the year the gap closed by a huge amount as the front runners improved less than those who were chasing them.

Yes Vince you are correct.What threw me was page 23 speedway star (weymouth) as Bates and Bridger say they are riding the 2005 under 15 championship.

Entertaining the public is important and because of its huge success last year promoters should not be wary of putting on a round of under 15's after a conference meet.

I think the league teams havn't been picked yet because the riders will be looked over in the first couple of championship rounds so they can be graded then matched appropriateley and evenly.

phil

Yeah I saw that in the Star but I assume they meant the Academy league not the U15's. From the way I understood it the kids won't actually be attached to one team but will be sorted into teams for each match so that they can produce even teams presumably like they did at Newport last year. I could well be wrong though. I think the league will be a big success as that try out at Newport seemed to please everybody from the riders to the spectators.

5. VENUE AND DATE TBA SOMETIME IN JULY OR AUGUST

Belle Vue said at thier meeting in Febuary that they would be running one on the same night as the Junior Championship which is 1st of August so maybe this one is Belle Vue?

I somehow doubt that an Elite league club would run an under 15 championship round after there own fixture.Firstly the rounds have to be in school holidays or at weekends and secondly Belle vue would have to start earlier to accomodate the under 15's and this would be highly unlikely.They would not run the under 15's before their home elite meet as this would risk loosing first aid cover.

Phil