British Speedway Forum
father jack

Left Handed Rider... Does Anybody Know ?

Hmmm.....I must be the exception to the norm as I seem to be better at turning left than I do right!!! Every time I came off my motorbike was when I was turning right, the near ones was when I was turning left.

Even in everyday life, I prefer to sit on the left side (coach,train bus etc)....mind you my pc is set up for a right handed person, mouse is on the right hand side, as in the volume control for my speakers...even my cup of tea is on my right!!

Think I must be a confused leftie :rolleyes:

I'm told that being left handed is associated with several benefits, including improved spatial awareness.

But I wonder which of today's top-boy's are left-handed...if any  :blink:

Nicki Pedersen is a leftie. Mind you he only has 2 full fingers on his right hand so it would be hard for him not to be a leftie :blink:

I wouldn't change being a leftie for anything :D

Edited by diamondgem

Left handed people naturally find it easier to turn right and right handed to turn left, if you doubt it hop on a push bike and turn both ways at a very slow speed.

Where d'ya get that from ?

'cause it's rubbish.

Left handers are known to be better batsmen at cricket and potters at snooker.

When My old man raced he always said it was an advantage to be a right hander. (he's left handed)

having being no good at snooker or cricket and being right handed maybe I should try my hand at speedway

But I wonder which of today's top-boy's are left-handed...if any  :blink:

One of the best showmen certainly is - Shane Parker is left handed

Something else we have in common!  :)

However, I cannot see this becoming the start of "Lefties of the World Unite!"

Just cannot see that happening!  :D

Oh I dunno - count me in. Lefties rule! Lets take over the universe....mwahhahahah

I can write with both hands thanks to going to a country village school where they used to rap me over the knuckles for writing with my left :blink: .

Same here Lioness

When I was 5 and painting a picture, the teacher took the paintbrush out of my left hand and put it in my right hand and said I had to use that hand to paint,draw and write......I was a stubborn little bugger even then, my response was to get my paint brush and paint the teachers face with it, then the surrounding area and finally to tell them I will use what ever hand I want to!!

They let me use my left hand after that. :rolleyes:

Where d'ya get that from ?

'cause it's rubbish.

From a Doctor, like I said try it, we have been showing people this for years when teaching them to ride and there have been very few who it didn't apply to.

Then again it is difficult for me to combat such a well reasoned argument as yours :rolleyes:

Another lefty here!

I'm pretty ambidextrous, due to the 'Shawns sister effect' where I broke my left wrist and was forced to use my righthand for a period of time.

I tend to do different things with different hands, I write with my left, play darts with either, throw anything else with my right and play pool (poorly) with my right. Some people find it strange because I pick up and use knives and forks either way round.

Dunno about Vinces theory about turning, from what I can remember I never had a preference when riding a bike. I do, however, prefer turning left in my car for some reason!

Do what my sister did, break your wrist when you're young and you have to learn to use the other arm, she can use both arms to write etc.

well at Canterbury i broke both wrists and an arm (all at the same time), but it didn't make me want to write with my feet :blink:

I remember Simon Wigg saying that the subject of left-hander's had been discussed a few times by riders...and they all agreed that it's easier for left-handed people to race speedway.

Because the positioning of the bike in the bends is controlled mainly with the left-hand side and the strength required comes mainly from the right. Which would definitely come more naturally to left-hookers. Also your reflexes are faster in your most-used hand...meaning consistently fast clutch-release is more likely to us lefties too  B) .

If it's easier why am I so bad.....thank goodness I'm not right handed or I would be worse!

Methinks there is more to being a good speedway rider than being left handed. I would gladly exchange hands for talent!

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2005 at 7:11 PM, Steve Turner said:

I remember Simon Wigg saying that the subject of left-hander's had been discussed a few times by riders...and they all agreed that it's easier for left-handed people to race speedway.

Because the positioning of the bike in the bends is controlled mainly with the left-hand side and the strength required comes mainly from the right. Which would definitely come more naturally to left-hookers. Also your reflexes are faster in your most-used hand...meaning consistently fast clutch-release is more likely to us lefties too B) .

But I wonder which of today's top-boy's are left-handed...if any :blink:

Clearly, given these advantages for wrong handed riders they should, in all fairness, be obliged to ride in the opposite direction :)

6 minutes ago, Celticman said:

Clearly, given these advantages for wrong handed riders they should, in all fairness, be obliged to ride in the opposite direction :)

Like Alan Grahame who,  if my memory serves, set an unofficial track record at Cradley Heath for going the wrong way round. He used to remove the footrest for this particular party piece.
Not sure if he was left handed though.

• Like 2

I am right handed when I played tennis, cricket, throw a ball, the only exception is that I write with my left hand. I did break the scaphoid in my left wrist in my mid teens, I managed to write somewhat with my right hand but went back to my left as soon as possible.    
I used to do cycle speedway and always from the start was pushing down on my right foot.  Used to be in a motorcycle club and never saw anyone adapt throttle to the left side and there must have been some left handlers about.

I'm right handed but play golf and cricket left handed. No idea why