British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
frigbo

Ray Harris

The local rag has reported that former Swindon, Stoke and Newport rider Ray Harris has passed away aged 85.

RIP Ray. My first speedway hero. He became a good friend and I visited him and his wife Dot in Hereford a few times. He gave me an old black helmet and a winners sash from a German grass track which I have kept with pride .

A lovely. lovely man who always had time to say hello. Fond memories.

Sad news, one thing I remember about Ray, and my father is always telling me this, Ray was THE master of 'dropping' or 'laying down' his bike. In fact, I'm told he was the quickest ever at the skill.

Edited by father jack

I didn't realise he was that old. I remember him from his Stoke days. Sorry to hear of his death but 85 is a good innings. I keep forgetting they get older even though I remember them in my mind in their racing days!

I miss the racing fron the 60's and wish I could have seen some early days racing as well.

My condolences to his family.

Tiger Tom

Sad news,  one thing I remember about Ray, and my father is always telling me this, Ray was THE  master of 'dropping' or 'laying down' his bike. In fact, I'm told he was the quickest ever at the skill.

absolutely correct FatherJack. It is a skill that I believe should be taught to every rider. In the US and Australia the riders can't get their licences until they can do it. I

remember training schools by Jack Millen at Stoke and Charlie Scarborough at Crewe where it was always part and parcel of the training.

How many English lads know how to drop a bike "on a sixpence" today ?? Very few.

Edited by Main Man

Coincidentally, while doing a bit of research for my Classic Meetings book, I have just come across the following from 17 June 1961 Speedway Star & News:

"Ray Harris is the Pride of the Potters

"A tubby little character with a heart as big as a lion's. An unquenchable sense of humour, a ready smile and word for all and sundry, loyalty to Stoke and a shrewd mind under his cheerful exterior that makes him the best skipper in the Provincial League. That is Raymond Harris, a 38-year-old garage proprietor from Hereford, the man who has played a big part in moulding the Stoke team into potential league champions....

"Ray has raced for Stoke in every one of their post war seasons. A unique record, only bettered by Cyril Brine of Wimbledon. During the years of Stoke's closure, Ray spent a couple of seasons with Swindon. 'But it was never quite the same as being with the Sun Street Stadium crowd,' he readily admits...

"At Stoke Ray takes a keen interest in helping the younger brigade. It was Pete Jarman who said: 'When I go to an away track, usually I am all over the place in my first ride. Back in the pits Ray is waiting. He tells me how he rode the track, and points out where I was going wrong...

"With a man like Ray Harris as skipper the team do not lack for inspiration."

It's a nice way to remember such a loyal servant to our sport.

Rest in Peace, Ray.

absolutely correct FatherJack. It is a skill that I believe should be taught to every rider. In the US and Australia the riders can't get their licences until they can do it. I

remember training schools by Jack Millen at Stoke and Charlie Scarborough at Crewe where it was always part and parcel of the training.

How many English lads know how to drop a bike "on a sixpence" today ?? Very few.

Think it was in Briggo's bio,that he was asked to show he could drop the bike before he was allowed to ride at Plough Lane in a second -half. :unsure:

Someone on the Newport site has done an obituary for Ray it makes intresting reading, http://www.aimoo.com/forum/postview.cfm?id...hreadID=2031679

I believe that Ray was forced to retire in 1965 beacause he'd been riding without a licence for a number of years, is this true ?

Thanks for that. Have had a look and had to print it off --especially the picture --brings back great memories although I must admit I've a tear in my eyes looking at it.

As for the licence think I can remember something like that being said .

Any news on the funeral??

I remember him riding for Newport at Old Meadowbank. He wore a stripey jersey that evening.

Sorry to hear that he has passed away.

Ray was known as the 'Portly Potter' and despite cutting a bit of an unusual figure on the track was quite accomplished. He formed a good opening pairing with the late Ken Adams whilst with the Stoke team of '61 and '62 and I remember them winning Heat 1 at Monmore, one particular meeting, in the great days of the Provincial League. Also remember Ray riding in one of the two Best Pairs TV meetings staged for BBC Grandstand, at Cradley, in February 1962. Sadly so many riders of that era are leaving us such as the imperious Ivor Brown who cakewalked the competition by winning all of the races for 4 points, I don't think his partner, Tony Eadon scored any. Anybody else go to those meetings 43 years ago?

I remember seeing the TV Best Pairs meetings on...er..TV.

Ray and his partner, Pete Jarman, were top qualifiers from the second week; Ivor Brown and Tony Eadon from the first week. Ray and PLJ lost in the semi-final to Derek Timms and Ivor Davies. Brown and Eadon won the final, but only because the scoring was changed to 4-2-1. On a 4-3-2 system, Timms and Davies would have won.

You are not quite right about the scores in the first round which was done on a normal 3-2-1 basis; Brown scored 20 points, coming last in his first race (e/f) and second to Harry Bastable in his third; Eadon scored 6 as he had three second places. In both the semi-final and final, Brown won and Eadon came last.

Edited by norbold

Thanks Norbold, memory a bit hazy in respect of the exact details, and couldn't be bothered to dig out the Stars from the garage. One thing I think I am correct on though is that one pair in each race had to wear white jerseys, for the sake of the TV, and Ivor Brown adopted this for the rest of his career.

I went with Ray Harris, Colin Gooddy and Pat Flanagan in the late 1950s to speedway meetings at Bremen and Oldenburg in Germany. Ray became a big favourite with German speedway fans and as I recall he went there in further seasons - one of them where his racing partner was Tommy Sweetman.

Edited by Guest