British Speedway Forum
Trees

Henka Interview?

Have just sat watching an Henka Gustaffson Special MBI video from 1990, 91 & 92. Henka was fantastic, couldn't gate and was such a natural speedway rider, I'd forgot just how good he was at Lynn, Wimbledon, Eastbourne, Bradford ........ I'm only half way through the video! His passes from the back were brilliant, I'm sure he missed the gate so he could thrill the crowd, stalking his opponents for 3 laps, leaving his pass to the last bend!! Wow! He'll remain a legend at Lynn forever, I feel sorry for any fan that missed him!

Any chance of an interview with him?

i agree , what a rider & a really nice guy too , what happened to him tho ?, i thought he was good enough to be world champion

Guest Steve Dixon

Got some old stuff from Screensport when he was riding in Sweden, some great racing.

Sure he had his moments, but your opinion would go downhill if you'd seen him during his most recent stint with the Aces.

Guest Steve Dixon

Andy, i did see him ride for the Aces and you definitely wouldn't think it was the same rider.

That's right - as if he couldn't be bothered to put in the effort. Complete contrast to the previous time he rode for us, when he won matches by winning races when the chips were down.

The Henka of recent years is not the Henka I remember or the one that Trees refers to. Definitely a pale shadow of his former self. He was awesome in his early Kings Lynn days and definitely a favourite visiting rider - i can still remember his paid 21 max around Poole . I think a few serious injuries and a bit too much of the wild lifestyle put paid to his ambitions over the years. He and Lars Gunnestad were a nightmare when they got together! Gave Lars' landlords a few headaches from what I remember! ;)

He's still rattling up the points up in Sweden though from what I've heard. I remember his debut World Final at Odsal in 1990. If I remember right (though I'm probably wrong) didn't he eventually finish third due to FIM stripping 'Shooey' of second place.

He's still rattling up the points up in Sweden though from what I've heard. I remember his debut World Final at Odsal in 1990. If I remember right (though I'm probably wrong) didn't he eventually finish third due to FIM stripping 'Shooey' of second place.

No he was never third, Todd Wiltshire was third on the day and remains so as the FIM decided to remove Shawn Moran from second place but not to move all subsequent riders up a place. As a consequence there was a winner, Per Jonsson, a third, the afformentioned Mr Wiltshire, but the record books will show that there was no second place

Sure he had his moments, but your opinion would go downhill if you'd seen him during his most recent stint with the Aces.

andy my opinion still stands cos i only saw him @ lynn & the world final at bradford , thats why i asked what happened to him and now i see why , to many parties , what a shame eh ??

What a coincidence, he's signed for Oxford apparently so that interview may be easier to get now! lol

What a coincidence, he's signed for Oxford apparently so that interview may be easier to get now! lol

Come on down and see him Trees, Star Lady is coming on Thursday !

Henka certainly was one of the most entertaining to watch - but he's not exactly an 'old boy' and is really too recent to fit into our 70s-80s timescale.

Maybe in 10 years' time he will be ripe for an in-depth piece...

Tony Mac

Maybe in 10 years' time he will be ripe for an in-depth piece...

We've got to wait 10 years .................. owwwwwwww I might be dead by then :o ......... I can understand why though :(