British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jez

Who Was That On Thursday Night At Owlerton?

Went to watch teh Sheffield v Workington match and stopped to watch the young 'uns having a blast around the circuit, normally after heat 15 I set off home.

There was one of them that really caught my eye, must have only been reallt young as the bike looked massive compared to his little frame, he wore red and balck leathers with a bike with red guards, nothing fancy.

His style was superb and couldn't half slide it round the bends, just wonder if thats another one off the sheffield training conveyor belt.

One point thhough that always sort of bugs me with the young ones trying their hand is that they are more bothered about flashy kevlars, bikes, helmets etc when they struggle to actually ride the bikes, surely that should all come when they are competent on teh bike or is that just me!?!?

To be fair I think most of the kids are using second hand bikes and kevlars so they sort of inherit the flashy bits.

I ride at the training track with him and i think the lad you're talking about is Jason he is an excellent young talent.Visit his website at http://www.freewebs.com/jasongarrity

I think this is the lad you mean!

Thats the lad, cant believe how smooth he looked

Guest wizzard
Thats the lad, cant believe how smooth he looked

went down to the training track the other sat. on way to hillsborough and saw this lad.couldn't believe how good he looked so took some footage on my video phone to show my mates!!

Yes Jason, is a hot prospect and is probably the best out of a grand bunch of youngsters who ride down at the training track.

I urge any Sheffield fans to get down and have a look at these youngsters, I think you will all be amazed and happy, as the future looks bright with what we have, not all of them are at Jason standards, but they could be given time and encouragement.

I also want to time to say a little about the Sheffield Angels, who are the girls team, they are as good as the lads, and I am sure if there was a ladies league they would be champs.

Come on all you Tigers fans get down on Saturday and have look at what there is going on there, the talent is there on show.

he is great little jason although i agree his bike is bigger than him dont tell him that tho he gives ya evils :)

He is a rite nice young lad and deserves to do great!

Hes a great kid is Jason and i know he's gonna do well!

But then again when i watch alot of the lads (in between my own rides) at the training track its amazing to think all of these started on a little bike and mostly without a clue how to ride.

Im proud of all my mates down there its like having another family! :D

One point thhough that always sort of bugs me with the young ones trying their hand is that they are more bothered about flashy kevlars, bikes, helmets etc when they struggle to actually ride the bikes, surely that should all come when they are competent on teh bike or is that just me!?!?

Jez, that's how they get confident!....They don't hold practice Sundays on the big track anymore so this is the only way they get to ride the big track! Going from the trasining track to the big Owlerton bowl would be quite a shock to some of these young lads! (It seems to be a shock to some away team heat leaders! LOL)

They are all trying but some will just not have what it takes but they are all living the dream. Give them all the incouragement you can muster.

TigerTom

Jez, that's how they get confident!....They don't hold practice Sundays on the big track anymore so this is the only way they get to ride the big track! Going from the trasining track to the big Owlerton bowl would be quite a shock to some of these young lads! (It seems to be a shock to some away team heat leaders! LOL)

They are all trying but some will just not have what it takes but they are all living the dream. Give them all the incouragement you can muster.

TigerTom

Thanks Tiger Tom, its is great hear somebody giving these kids some encouragement, yes not all will make pro speedway riders, but as long as they enjoy it.

My son started down at the training track, at the beginning of the year and the main thing is that he enjoys himself, which does if a career is made out of it is a bonus. As for flashy kevlars Jez, my lad wears a pair of old leathers, that are far from flashy.

TigerTom....while im on this forum its not just lads....muahahahahaha!

No just messin it is very daunting going on Sheffield after having ridden on the training track my first time on Sheffield was about 2 or 3 weeks ago and as i went up to those tapes my heart went in my mouth! It was sooooo nerve racking and going down that back straight its hard to catch a breath it seems to go so quickly. I found my self puttin more power on than i would dare to use on the training track cos its that small! Everyones greatest fear when riding on that track is people critisising or just the fear of not being able to make it round the huge corners! :lol: