British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sandman

Handlebars?

I remember that the Ole Olsen bars had the right side turned up higher than the Mauger bars. Also, the racers from the sixties had bigger bars because of the lack of power? Took a lot more physical power then to turn? Do the riders have that much more power to be able to use the toothpick handlebars now? Or is it because of no dirt? :)

Is it me, or am I right on this one? Plus, DD, before you get upset just think of the sweet sound of a Honda CR 93 in full song.... :)

Not sure of Ole in particular, but there have been handlebars of all shapes and sizes over the years. There are some excellent examples of different styles here

Guest Sir Lunchalot

I like that link Grachan, but where was Jimmy Edwards ?

Sorry about that, Sir L. He's here.

i did not think any of you liked me because I spoke my mind.

DD

What mind?

Guest Sir Lunchalot
Now lets not go there again ! :)

Please !!

I'm not trying to change the views people have but some of them might be best left unsaid (unless they are on handlebars that is !!).

Now lets not go there again ! :)

Please !!

I'm not trying to change the views people have but some of them might be best left unsaid (unless they are on handlebars that is !!).

And unsaid they are Lunchy ;-)

Hey DD, I really dont want to stray from handlebars, so this is last time... What was the little brother 50cc to the cr93? I saw one in a club race and what a beautiful bike! And by the way, it had little tiny handlebars! :?

Handlebars are a very important part of speedway history.

I've learnt so much from this (Or the previous closed thread)

However i still can't work out if Egon's Long Track bars were higher than other bars at the time.

Oh, were kelly Moran's smaller or did they just seem that way because he was so tiny. He's on the comeback trail by the way.

The complexeties of it all

WWTBP, Yes Egon Mullers were higher and it was as Steve Hone said, the basic Longtrack bars adjusted for speedway. Kellys were a bit shorter and turned down a bit flatter as he was quite a bit smaller than the average rider, 5'2? I guess his wingspan wasnt quite so big! :)