British Speedway Forum

Seeing as nobody has mentioned it - number 8 arrived today with none other than Martin Ashby in there! He says he still sees Broady quite often, but I already knew that. I've often seen them standing together on the Blunsdon terraces.

I went to Martin Ashby Motorcycles once to get my FS1-E fixed. It was miles out of the way, but it meant it was fixed by Martin Ashby, so I was well pleased.

Would Tommy Jansson have been 1976 World Champ? A possible future champ, maybe, but not in 1976 in my opinion. He was a great rider but PC was ahead of him at World level at that point.

Just got in from work, ready to settle with a cuppa and have a read through ..... Cheers TMC it's made my week xx

I went to Martin Ashby Motorcycles once to get my FS1-E fixed. It was miles out of the way, but it meant it was fixed by Martin Ashby, so I was well pleased.

Brilliant!! Not sure if he still does the job now, but if I'd had a house that needed sand blasting in the late 70's/1980's, I dare say I would have been very tempted to call Mr. R. Wilson Sandblasters of Grenoside :lol: I knew a lot of the stuff in the article about him as well, but it's nice to see it again, I can remember that 1978 NRC like it was yesterday, it was the night after the British Final where PC had the sugar incident, and Ivan Mauger was excluded for a tape offence, reinstated, and then thrown out again when the other 3 protested!!

Also interested to see the bit about Mark Fiora, I was only wondering whatever happened to him, the other week!

Back to Martin Ashby though, unfortunately I never got to see him at his best, the second meeting I ever saw was that Gauloises Pairs meeting when he and Crumpie crashed. Again I can remember that one, wasn't long after the World Final and my dad got Ivan Mauger (who was riding for Exeter in the meeting, and also crashed, not seriously, but enough to rule him out of the rest of the night) to sign our programme beforehand! This is important stuff when you are 10 :D

Another useless piece of information, I always used to think Martin looked like one of my uncles, and judging by that picture in Backtrack, he still does, even now!

Issue 8 out now - look what’s inside…

Main Man – Ivan Mauger

Part one of our exclusive 7-page interview with the world’s greatest-ever rider. Ivan talks candidly about his rivals, how he became one of the fastest starters and why he would have still been among the fastest gaters under any rules.

Ivan reflects on his time with Newcastle, Belle Vue, Exeter and Hull. He reveals why he turned down the chance to buy Belle Vue before Stuart Bamforth took over at Hyde Road; why the daunting County Ground track at Exeter was unfairly criticised; and his bitter disappointment that he didn’t quite win another league title with the Vikings.

With characteristic confidence in his own ability, Ivan believes that he would have won the world title at least 10 times had the GP formula applied in his day.

Our top columnist John Berry provides his own insightful profile on the mighty Mauger.

Jeremy Doncaster

Interview with the former England, Ipswich and Reading favourite ahead of his farewell meeting. Was he too laid-back for his own good?

Wally Mawdsley

Reveals his personal struggle to overcome the severe financial blow of losing his battle to keep Canterbury alive. The former BSPA chairman also looks back at his days promoting at Romford, Exeter and Bristol and, also, what he describes as the worst decision ever taken in speedway.

Martin Ashby

The former England star names his all-time seven from the team-mates he rode with at Swindon, Exeter and Reading, and what he thinks of each of them.

Reg Wilson

The former Sheffield Tiger on his loyalty to his beloved Yorkshire club and why he perhaps regrets not making a move to Wolves that would have furthered his career.

Tommy Jansson

Could he really have stopped Peter Collins winning the world title in 1976, had fate not intervened? A reader puts the case of the hugely popular Swede.

John Simmons-wheelchair bound

The heart-rending story of the former Ipswich junior who was so badly injured at Peterborough in 1972 that he will spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair. John describes his battle to cope with his disability, physically and financially, and why he owes so much to his caring mum. First of a series on those we must not forget.

Mark Fiora

What became of the former Middlesbrough, Edinburgh and Long Eaton star, who returned home to Australia?

Reg Trott

Title-winning rider who turned referee, the former Eastbourne veteran recalls his part in helping the fledgling Eagles soar to the top of Division Two.

Rider Control

John Berry offers a possible solution to the age-old team equalisation debate.

When is it time to go?

Knowing when to quit is a tough choice facing both riders and promoters. Martin Rogers offers some advice.

Swedes in Pictures

A two-page picture spread to delight fans of former Swedish stars in the British League, including Michanek, Lofqvist, Sjosten, Jansson, Holmqvist, Johansson, Hellsen, Persson, Nygren and co.

Have you subscribed yet? It costs just £16 a year in the UK and subscribers will receive their copies FIRST!

www.retro-speedway.com

With characteristic confidence in his own ability, Ivan believes that he would have won the world title at least 10 times had the GP formula applied in his day.

It's hard to disagree with him there.

Wally Mawdsley

blow of losing his battle to keep Canterbury alive.

He did what!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: Maybe Canterbury Dogs!!!!!! :angry:

Just read the "Let's Not Forget" section

Can't put into words how I felt when I read it. (Have tried but just can't find the right way) a real eye opener. :approve:

well if you want to speak to Martin Ashby he will be in the Prince of Wales at Cardiff from 3pm on 11th June for a beer and a chat

Well someone named after him will be anyway! :wink:

Another excellent edition from the Backtrack boys, love all the articles especially the ones on Reg Wilson (again I also knew most about that article) , enjoyed the one on Mark Fiora, who I remember as a raw novice at Sheffield, but gave 110 per cent for the team.

The article that I thought was really good was the one about John Simmons, not a treace of bitterness or regret even though he has every right. I t certainly made me sit up and think a bit more, so the next time there is a Rider Benevelont Fund Collection, this speedway supporter will contributing a couple of quid more.

Guest wizzard

not got mine yet...should i be worried????

Wizard - if you give us a call on 01708 734 502, we will check out the problem for you and try to resolve it. If you are a paid-up subscriber, you should have received issue 8 by now

Why not give Susie a call and she'll check it out...

Guest wizzard

thanks...i will do so tomorrow.