Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

One of the most pleasing things about producing Backtrack (and VSM now) is the number of speedway people who see the mag and then get in touch with us.

We've recently received a phone call from former Sheffield promoter Ray Glover and we will be carrying out an interview with both him and his eldest son, Carl, in the next couple of weeks.

Please tell us your memories of the Glovers - either in their respective roles at Sheffield in the 70s/80s, or (in Carl's case) his earlier brilliance for Boston in the old second division. Maybe you have a question you'd like us to put to Ray or Carl?

Former British Champion Neil Evitts has also called and we will also be interviewing this hard-riding Midlander, who always gave everything for clubs like Bradford, Halifax, Birmingham, Wolves, etc. Again, let's have your thoughts on Neil and the best questions we will put to him...

Edited by tmc

Once again an excellent read - particularly the Ivan Mauger interview.

Well i would like to know what Ray remembers of Bob Paulson.As kids me and a few mates used to wait in the pits after the meetings at Plough Lane and get autographs from anyone coming out with wet hair:Our way of telling who was a rider,though i'm not too sure it was fool-proof.Anyway one time aftera Sheffield meeting this bloke came out mad as a hatter and started calling me "the wizard".I've still got his autograph signed "to the wizard".Just want to know was this a one-off or was he always so wacky :D

Edited by iris123

I will look forward to this issue, obviously I was there for the whole of Ray's promotership (is that a word?) When I look back now, although we weren't always the best of teams, with hindsight, I feel he did more right than wrong and he had some terrible bad luck to contend with.

Did he regret any departures in particular ie. when he first came he reportedly abolished the signing on fees and this caused problems in particular with Craig Pendlebury/Doug Wyer.

Did he feel let down by the Wayne Brown situation?

Which riders did he most enjoy working with?

Neil Evitts - I guess a lot of people would be interested to hear "his side" of a lot of things, as I think most would agree he seemed a morose type of personality on the face of it - that's meant as an observation, not a criticism!

Edited by Tigerblade

Yes I to remember the Glovers, he did have some bad luck and did not always bring in the right riders, mind you he did bring in Shawn Moran.

I would like to know about his relationship with you John Dews, I would also like to hear what he thought about Craig Pendlebury and Dougie Wyer.

One of the most pleasing things about producing Backtrack (and VSM now) is the number of speedway people who see the mag and then get in touch with us.

We've recently received a phone call from former Sheffield promoter Ray Glover and we will be carrying out an interview with both him and his eldest son, Carl, in the next couple of weeks.

Please tell us your memories of the Glovers - either in their respective roles at Sheffield in the 70s/80s, or (in Carl's case) his earlier brilliance for Boston in the old second division. Maybe you have a question you'd like us to put to Ray or Carl?

Former British Champion Neil Evitts has also called and we will also be interviewing this hard-riding Midlander, who always gave everything for clubs like Bradford, Halifax, Birmingham, Wolves, etc. Again, let's have your thoughts on Neil and the best questions we will put to him...

You will laugh at this, cos I always think of Carl Glover when I am in London and see the guards standing by their hut with them Busby hats, Carl didn't need a hat, his hair was just hike one!

But what a racer he was, along with Arthur Price and Jim Ryman those Barracudars took some stopping, have some great cine footage of them against Eastbourne in 1972.

More additions to the Issue 9 'cast'...

STEVE WEATHERLEY...talking about life after THAT crash. What an inspirational fellow this man is. He's still racing today.

MICK BELL...6 times a British League title winner, with Reading & Coventry as both rider and team manager.

Many thanks for the (disappointingly) few bits of feedback to the earlier content mentions.

NEIL EVITTS was typically forthright and he can still argue with the best of 'em. He tells us that he even managed to get himself fined £500 immediately after winning the British Championship! Now that takes some doing! Morose? Never. Just misunderstood and very difficult to get to know, but I think we've got a lot closer than most. He certainly knew Kenny Carter better than any other rider.

CARL & RAY GLOVER - Very, very honest stuff about the Morans, the lack of team spirit at Sheffield (pre-Ray) and how the Wayne Brown saga hit the management badly. Oh, and how Carl recently had a brush with death but thankfully recovered in hospital.

IVAN (Part 2)...where do we begin? Carter, Lee, Morans, Nielsen...all those World Final wins (was PC REALLY lucky in '76?) and why he has lost interest in the GP. And then some...

CHRIS MORTON...we'll be running a 3-page extract from his new book.

AMERICANS...I suppose not everyone will be dancing through hoops at our two-page spread, but they didn't half bring some colour and spectacle to the British scene, didn't they? And we could do with a few more like 'em round today, eh?

And JOHN BERRY having a 'Slightly Sideways' pop at Nicki Pedersen and the lack of modern 'enforcers' to 'sort him out'. Trust JB to stick his oar in...!

Better crack on and get this one finished...it will be out first week of July...promise!

Btw, We've already lined up Michael Lee as the 'main man' for issue 10. Should be very interesting...

What, you haven't subscribed yet?

Edited by tmc

More additions to the Issue 9 'cast'...

STEVE WEATHERLEY...talking about life after THAT crash. What an inspirational fellow this man is. He's still racing today.

MICK BELL...6 times a British League title winner, with Reading & Coventry as both rider and team manager.

Many thanks for the (disappointingly) few bits of feedback to the earlier content mentions.

NEIL EVITTS was typically forthright and he can still argue with the best of 'em. He tells us that he even managed to get himself fined £500 immediately after winning the British Championship! Now that takes some doing! Morose? Never. Just misunderstood and very difficult to get to know, but I think we've got a lot closer than most. He certainly knew Kenny Carter better than any other rider.

CARL & RAY GLOVER - Very, very honest stuff about the Morans, the lack of team spirit at Sheffield (pre-Ray) and how the Wayne Brown saga hit the management badly. Oh, and how Carl recently had a brush with death but thankfully recovered in hospital.

IVAN (Part 2)...where do we begin? Carter, Lee, Morans, Nielsen...all those World Final wins (was PC REALLY lucky in '76?) and why he has lost interest in the GP. And then some...

CHRIS MORTON...we'll be running a 3-page extract from his new book.

AMERICANS...I suppose not everyone will be dancing through hoops at our two-page spread, but they didn't half bring some colour and spectacle to the British scene, didn't they? And we could do with a few more like 'em round today, eh?

And JOHN BERRY having a 'Slightly Sideways' pop at Nicki Pedersen and the lack of modern 'enforcers' to 'sort him out'. Trust JB to stick his oar in...!

Better crack on and get this one finished...it will be out first week of July...promise!

Btw, We've already lined up Michael Lee as the 'main man' for issue 10. Should be very interesting...

What, you haven't subscribed yet?

Brill, cannot wait for the next edition

I too am looking forward to this edition - I've heard things since about the bad team spirit back then, and the Morans are always excellent value for a story or two!!

Tony Mac, I think one reason for the lack of response may be because, from what I can gather from postings, some of the Tigers fans on this forum haven't been going long enough (for whatever reason) to remember the Glovers.

some of the Tigers fans on this forum haven't been going long enough (for whatever reason) to remember the Glovers.

I was around then,Tigerblade,the 1982 team wasn't bad with Shawn,David Bargh and Wayne Brown,added to Reggie and Dave Morton think we finshed 5th in the BL that year.

Dad still shudders at the mere mention of the name Glover though lol

All those Aussie wonder kids he'd bring back,only they weren't wonders at all!

Signings like Zenon Plech and Ales Dryml who hardly ever turnrd up!

There was a third Glover of course,Gordon in the annoucers box,ruddy awful he was too lol

Anyhow enough of the Glovers,how about a interview with Maurice Ducker,that would be well worth a read!

Neil Evitts aswell...that'll please his number one fan lol

i was a tigers fan from the age of six in 1960 up until their closure in the late eighties and in all that time we only won the ko cup in 1974 in the late seventies early eighties sheffield seemed to sign riders past their sell by date ie Plech Persson Broadbelt Kroeze etc strangely enough i supported Belle Vue after Sheffield closed but i havent been to a speedway meeting since 1990

TMC out of interest are you doing a "Special" to cover the Hackney re-union, if so can I book a copy now please :approve:

I was around then,Tigerblade,the 1982 team wasn't bad with Shawn,David Bargh and Wayne Brown,added to Reggie and Dave Morton think we finshed 5th in the BL that year.

Dad still shudders at the mere mention of the name Glover though lol

All those Aussie wonder kids he'd bring back,only they weren't wonders at all!

Signings like Zenon Plech and Ales Dryml who hardly ever turnrd up!

There was a third Glover of course,Gordon in the annoucers box,ruddy awful he was too lol

Anyhow enough of the Glovers,how about a interview with Maurice Ducker,that would be well worth a read!

Neil Evitts aswell...that'll please his number one fan lol

I know you were, I only said "some" Tigers fans :D

Ray alienated my mum a bit because one of his first contributions was a dispute with the Flyer! Mind you we lost quite a few fans after that crap 1980 season and his (Doug's) move to Halifax.

Have to agree with you about 1982, although we finished second in the BL in 1985, I look back on 1982 with more fondness somehow. I actually didn't mind Gordon announcing......."I like it!"

The Zenon Plech we signed was somewhere below a pale shadow of the one who had served Hackney with such distinction.

Maurice Ducker....yes, would be interesting, although he always leaned to "it's never my fault, you ought to be grateful I am doing this for you at all"

I think you will all find that Zenon Plech was signed by Maurice Ducker, not Ray Glover.

I think you will all find that Zenon Plech was signed by Maurice Ducker, not Ray Glover.

Sorry Spin, but it was definitely Ray Glover, he signed him in 1982.