British Speedway Forum

this back track ive got 1 seems intresting, do they review sheffs season from 93 onwards or what, would be intresting. B)

I was around then,Tigerblade,the 1982 team wasn't bad with Shawn,David Bargh and Wayne Brown,added to Reggie and Dave Morton think we finshed 5th in the BL that year.

Dad still shudders at the mere mention of the name Glover though lol

All those Aussie wonder kids he'd bring back,only they weren't wonders at all!

Signings like Zenon Plech and Ales Dryml who hardly ever turnrd up!

There was a third Glover of course,Gordon in the annoucers box,ruddy awful he was too lol

Anyhow enough of the Glovers,how about a interview with Maurice Ducker,that would be well worth a read!

Neil Evitts aswell...that'll please his number one fan lol

Who could forget the great Gordon Glover, with absolute stupid comments,like the time Reg Wilson crash into the safety fence and obvious to everybody in the stadium that he was badly injured, what did Gordon say, " Reg will be okay, he will be up on his bike and riding in a minute.

Look what’s in issue 9…

Main Man – Ivan Mauger

Part two of our exclusive interview with the greatest speedway rider ever. Mighty Mauger talks candidly about his relationship with Kenny Carter and Hans Nielsen – and spells out why he believes the outspoken former England star threw away the chance to win the 1982 World Final to Bruce Penhall. Also, why Nielsen paid the price for ignoring his advice…and what he needed to break his World Final jinx.

And for the first time, the legendary Kiwi speaks out about the Speedway Grand Prix, explaining why it should not be compared to the traditional World Championship of his day. What he thinks of Tony Rickardsson and Jason Crump…why British speedway is struggling to attract big crowds and where the BSPA went wrong…how Exeter pulled off an audacious masterstroke to give him one last season in the British League…looking back at his key World Finals and revealing why losing the 1973 run-off to Jerzy Szczakiel was not the worst thing to happen to him on speedway’s biggest occasion…who were the most gifted riders who wasted their talent?…the controversial and hard-hitting Mauger tells all – only in Backtrack Magazine.

Neil Evitts

"Some people might think I’m arrogant or ignorant, but I didn’t set out to be popular."…Neil Evitts has never been afraid to tell it like it is and in this candid exclusive the 1986 British Champion talks openly about all his conflicts with officialdom, including when he defied the rules to race as an under-aged 14-year-old before going on to ride legally for Stoke, Wolverhampton, Birmingham, Halifax, Bradford, Sheffield and Wolves again. The no-nonsense Black Country man got to know Kenny Carter better than any other rider when they were team-mates at Halifax and Bradford, and here Neil reflects on the impact KC had on him and what he recalls of their final days together…

Carl Glover

The 1974 Second Division Riders’ Champion reveals how he is lucky to be alive after suffering a near fatal heart attack earlier this year. Carl also reflects on his racing days as Boston No.1, plus why riding for home-town club, Sheffield, was a mistake which led to him returning east to King’s Lynn.

After his riding career ended early at 26, Carl went on to fulfil his dream job when he was appointed England manager in 1984 . . . but at times it became a nightmare. We get Carl’s fascinating insight into what it was like to deal with Kenny Carter and why he had to strip him of the captaincy…the problems with Michael Lee and why his England team were beaten before they faced the Danes in the World Team Cup final.

Ray Glover

The father of Carl takes over in the second half of our Glover family dynasty double interview. He explains what drove him to have a stab at promoting at Sheffield – the club he supported from boyhood – in 1980 and why he decided to sell up just four years later after a series of setbacks and problems with riders who let him down.

Ray – and Carl – also reveal their thoughts on former Sheffield superstar Shawn Moran – what he was like to deal with and why they say he lost his way in the sport. Also, they examine the effect Kelly Moran had on his younger brother…

Steve Weatherley

The second in our regular, new series where we catch up with a rider left disabled by speedway racing. This time we visit former Eastbourne and White City star Steve Weatherley, who talks for the first time about the fatal crash that claimed the life of Hackney’s Vic Harding and left him in a wheelchair for the rest of his life. In this uplifting story, brave Steve enthuses about his enjoyment of family life and how he is even winning races again!

Mick Bell

We talk to the man who holds the record for winning three senior league championships as both rider AND team manager, with Reading and Coventry. Modest Mick tells about what it was like on both sides of the fence and the differences between world superstars Ole Olsen and Anders Michanek.

Where Are Today’s Enforcers?

Our lead columnist John Berry asks the question after seeing current Grand Prix star Nicki Pedersen dishing it out again. JB says: "In my time riders like Pedersen would have been given a serious word in the ear early on in their careers."

Berry

Mort in print

We publish an extract from Chris Morton’s new hardback, Until The Can Ran Out, in which he admits how ‘track rage’ got the better of him and he deliberately set out to ‘attack’ a rival during his early days with Belle Vue.

Americans in Pictures

A treat for fans of those colourful Californians…nostalgic pictures from the 70s and 80s, featuring Bruce Penhall, Bobby Schwartz, Kelly and Shawn Moran, Dennis Sigalos, Scott Autrey, Rick Miller, Sam Ermolenko, Ronnie Correy, Lance King, Steve and Jim Gresham, Mike Curoso, Sumner McKnight and Rick Woods.

-----------------------------------------

Subscribers copies mailed out today (Thursday, June 30)

Enjoy!

Bloody hell,that was quick.Got my mag today :D

I got my copy today and I are living in Sweden.

I have read all the backtracks and they are so bloody brilliant. I do like this big interviews with the former big stars. The Ivan Mauger interview is very good.

Thanks for a billiant mag!

I liked to see some interviews with some old Swedish stars as: Tommy Johansson, Rune Sörmander, Varg Olle, Dan Forsberg, Ove Fundin, Göte Nordin, Banger Jansson.

Cheers

Mikael Johnsson

I got my copy today and I are living in Sweden.

I have read all the backtracks and they are so bloody brilliant. I do like this big interviews with the former big stars. The  Ivan Mauger interview is very good.

Thanks for a billiant mag!

I liked to see some interviews with some old Swedish stars as: Tommy Johansson, Rune Sörmander, Varg Olle, Dan Forsberg, Ove Fundin, Göte Nordin, Banger Jansson.

Cheers

Mikael Johnsson

Blimey, I live 5 miles away from their despatch and I havent got mine yet!

Look forward to Michael Lee's interview, such a favourite in my early days at speedway, it annoys the hell out of me that his career was blighted, he was such a fantastic speedway rider :( I also wish I had been older to really appreciate his skill at the time. My husband remembers Michael at the age of 14 practising round Saddlebow Road, how he used to try all sorts of lines round the track, he was such a natural! But the amount of food poisoning he had during the latter days of his time at Lynn was unbelievable :P;) .......... silly article!

Blimey, I live 5 miles away from their despatch and I havent got mine yet!

JC by the looks of it the copies that go abroad get sent first, not 100% just a theory, going to sit on the doorstep and pounce onthe postman and then rummage through his sack this morning :P god help him if my copy is not there :angry::wink:

Please tell us your memories of the Glovers - either in their respective roles at Sheffield in the 70s/80s, or (in Carl's case) his earlier brilliance for Boston in the old second division. Maybe you have a question you'd like us to put to Ray or Carl?

Dad has just read the article on the Glovers apparently ............ anyone that knew Unc as a rider would know that he never felt Pressure, he was up for the challenge as much as anyone it just wasn't ever meant to be :cry: still 3 goes at Wimbledon in the NLRC and three rostrum placings can't be bad can it? He might have ever won it but he'll always be my Champion even after all these years :approve:

Just read through my copy, and I have to say it waqs an excellent read, the magazine just seems to get better and better.

Just read this copy last night. All I can say is that my house insurance policy should be void when I read this mag because it's so interesting that if the house caught fire and the smoke alarms went off it I wouldn't stop reading to put the flames out.

WRT evitts interview.

I remember the Tatum knocking off Evitts British final '88. It started the "booing" of Tatum for yrs to come. Don't think it was dirty riding if I remember correctly. I'm sure there was 3 riders abreast heading down the back straight and something was to give. Hard riding in a British final that was in those days a great day in the speedway yr. To sit in a sell out Brandon crowd as a 14yr old at the british final is something very special in my speedway memories.