British Speedway Forum
BriG

Dan Kirkman's Tapes Injury

For those of you who saw the tapes catch round Dan's neck at Edinburgh last saturday there are pics on his web site www.bossracing.org that show the extent of the burns, taken three days after the incident they show why he was ruled out of Monday's 3rd round. To see the pics go to the Latest News column on the left and click on Kirky's injury latest link.

The lad was pretty gutted about missing Weymouth which has been his 'home' track and George and Stevie P will tell you just how fast Kirky has been around Radipole Lane in the second half racing this season!

I have heard that there is a shortage of the official tape material and that tracks are using other stuff. Obviously those tapes should have broken long before Dan was dragged from the bike and I know Peter Oakes is taking this matter further.

Dan will be back in action on Friday night at Somerset and then at Newport on Sunday.

BriG

Bri

Steve told me how bad the incident was and that Dan's throat was in a state but those pics! He must of endured a great deal of pain and I guess that must still hurt like hell. Speedy recovery Dan good luck at Newport on Sunday see you there.

Bri

Steve told me how bad the incident was and that Dan's throat was in a state but those pics! He must of endured a great deal of pain and I guess that must still hurt like hell. Speedy recovery Dan good luck at Newport on Sunday see you there.

What an appalling looking injury. I hope he heals up soon.

I was at Armadale and saw the incident. There were many problems with the tapes and eventually the starts were done with flags.

It looked and obviously was a real sore one for Dan.

Take care young man and all the very best for the future.

yeah i saw it too, but didnt realise how badly he was hurt. hope dan is ok, and wish him luck with his racing.

Thanks for the good wishes - Dan's a determined young man and is already looking ahead to tonight at Somerset - if the weather is okay that is, we are 5 mins from the track and it's raining quite heavily and has done most of the afternoon.

His neck still looks unpleasant but it mostly scabbed over now and the risk of infection, which was the reason they wouldn't let him ride on monday, has pretty much gone now.

Regards,

BriG and Dan

hi i saw the pictures and they looked pretty bad but glad that its getting better. i'm coming to somerset tonite so lets hope it all goes well if it is definatley on?! beth

mod note text speak removed

OMG first time I've heard of it, looked at the pics and video clip and have to echo what everyone else says.

Best wishes to Dan for a speedy recovery

That looks nasty, hopefully it'll clear up soon.

i saw him tonight and the injury has started to clear up! i didnt speak to him but he seemed in good spirit with all of his mates!

mod note text speak removed

Thanks for all your good wishes but unfortunately as soon as Dan pulled his helmet on at Somerset last night he knew he couldn't ride - the buckle rubbed against the dressing and pulled part of the scab off and the wound started bleeding again.

We considered a smaller dressing or no dressing at all but really there was no decision other than to let the thing heal properly before he resumes racing. That means he won't be riding in round four of the U 15s at Newport on Sunday.

Tough this game int' it but he's got a long time ahead of him and it's sensible to let things heal properly at his age. The thing that really annoys me is something that was so preventable has knackered up his chances of a decent run in the U-15s but good luck to the rest of the lads at Newport on Sunday.

Bri

It must be really frustrating for you guys Bri - you could almost accept it if it was an 'on track' injury, if he'd twisted an ankle or summat coming off the bike but this must be really hard to stomach.

Hope that every track has been made aware of it and checks done to make sure that as far as humanly possible this can't happen again.

Not wanting to trivialise the injury sustained to Dan I looked to the rule book to see what the rules are regarding the starting tapes.

BriG says in his original post "I have heard that there is a shortage of the official tape material and that tracks are using other stuff."

From the Rule book

Rule 9.4 "The Starting Gate, operable only by the Referee, shall support 2 or 3 cotton tapes (but not linen, plastic or other material likely to cause injury to a competitor colliding with them)....

Other than saying cotton has to be used, no reference to grade of cotton (if there is such a thing) is specified. I believe all tracks do comply with the rules and that a rare incident, as in this case is very unfortunate, but you cannot legislate for all eventuallities or we wouldn't be going for our regular fix of speedway.

As a matter of interest the Edinburgh electrician spent half a day finding the fault which if you remember your physics from school days (a long time ago in my case) involved coils and magnets.

Hope Dan gets back racing soon.

Bill

if there is an 'official' tape material then that would suggest it is there by implication. I don't know the ins and outs but from his background would assume BriG is a lot more knowledgeable on it

Mark Lemon went through the tapes at neck height at Glasgow and they broke - something I thought that would always happen. It disturbs me not only that this young lad has been put through this but that it could, from what has been said, also happen elsewhere if no remedial steps are taken to ensure ALL tracks tapes would snap under similar circumstances.

Surely not too much to ask?

Thanks for all your good wishes but unfortunately as soon as Dan pulled his helmet on at Somerset last night he knew he couldn't ride - the buckle rubbed against the dressing and pulled part of the scab off and the wound started bleeding again.

We considered a smaller dressing or no dressing at all but really there was no decision other than to let the thing heal properly before he resumes racing. That means he won't be riding in round four of the U 15s at Newport on Sunday.

Tough this game int' it but he's got a long time ahead of him and it's sensible to let things heal properly at his age. The thing that really annoys me is something that was so preventable has knackered up his chances of a decent run in the U-15s but good luck to the rest of the lads at Newport on Sunday.

Bri

I am gutted for Dan sorry Brian. George has enjoyed his races with Dan shame they have not been able to continue there "duels" in the U15s

Speedy recovery Dan. George was lucky in his tape tangle that it caught on his helmet again whipping him off the bike and did not snap???? though he was already lifting anyway :unsure: