Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
BriG

Dan Kirkman's Tapes Injury

Rule 9.4    "The Starting Gate, operable only by the Referee, shall support 2 or 3 cotton tapes (but not linen, plastic or other material likely to cause injury to a competitor colliding with them)....

Other than saying cotton has to be used, no reference to grade of cotton (if there is such a thing) is specified. I believe all tracks do comply with the rules and that a rare incident, as in this case is very unfortunate, but you cannot legislate for all eventuallities or we wouldn't be going for our regular fix of speedway.

Bill I know from Morgan at Joe Hughes that Chris Van Stratton has been enquiring about stocks of tape material and that the stuff that is supplied through speedway outlets is in short supply. Maybe the rules should be that only approved products are to be used i.e. ones that will break quickly under the momentum of a rider having dropped the clutch and moved forward.

<(but not linen, plastic or other material likely to cause injury to a competitor colliding with them)....>

.....maybe there's cotton and there's cotton. I don't know what the Edinburgh stuff was made of but I do know that Peter Oakes was concerned enough that they did not break quickly and to the extent of Dan's injury enough to refer the matter and pics to the BSPA and SCB with a view to having referees check that the tapes break easily before racing commences. I mean these bikes accelerate at 0-60 in about 3 seconds and Dan isn't the slowest starter in his age group so you would think they would and should break easily.

Dan's not the first rider to suffer this sort of injury in speedway but everyone I've spoken too in the last week reckon this is the worst instance they have seen. It would be nice to think he would be one of the last though.

Don't get me wrong I and Dan understands that this is a very dangerous sport and that if this is the worst thing that happens to him in his speedway career that he will probably be a lucky lad. However the sport's authorities have a duty of care to it's competitors especially the minors.

As an ex-copper and now professional photojournalist I have been quite shocked at the lack of adherence to rules at various training sessions across the country in the past 18 months, in fact if one wanted to document such practices and do an expose the sport would be in serious danger of closure on health and safety overnight, especially when it comes to minors.

One doesn't jump up and down about these anomolies because like so many before you have to accept that if you want to ride that is the way it is.

I do fear for the future of this sport crowds at Somerset, Newport and Weymouth have been garbage this year, atmosphere virtually non-existant. Every week I hear riders and mechanics talk about how many dangerous and poorly prepared tracks there are, just look at the injury list already this year.

I love this sport and don't want to see it go down the pan but it's definitely heading that way.

BriG

I must admit having been at Armadale my thoughts ran on the same thread why didn't they automatically break?

It is indeed a great concern if tracks are possibly using the wrong quality materials for the tapes surely a matter for health and safety since this has been brought out into the open.

Maybe as Peter Oakes suggested the tapes should be tested by the referee prior to all meetings to check they break on impact as part of his/her track inspection.

Best wishes to young Dan for a speedy recovery

Guest Kirky

Hi this is Dan Kirkman. Id like to say thnx to every one concerned of my injury. I am recovering well and hoped to be riding at Somerset last nite but as I went to put my helmet on I felt the pressure against my neck quite badly. I was very dissapointed as I like somerset a lot and the people working there. Ive been advised not to ride 4 10 days so that means newport u-15 is out of the window. thnx again for the response of my injury and i hope i will be riding fit soon.

Kirky

I do fear for the future of this sport crowds at Somerset, Newport and Weymouth have been garbage this year

Don't worry about us, remember Tim Stone doesn't need our money! :D

Hi this is Dan Kirkman. Id like to say thnx to every one concerned of my injury. I am recovering well and hoped to be riding at Somerset last nite but as I went to put my helmet on I felt the pressure against my neck quite badly. I was very dissapointed as I like somerset a lot and the people working there. Ive been advised not to ride 4 10 days so that means newport u-15 is out of the window. thnx again for the response of my injury and i hope i will be riding fit soon.

Kirky

looks like your luck might be changing - Newports U-15 meeting has been postponed due to rain. Hope its rescheduled at a time you are back riding! :wink:

A friend has asked to look at the photo's of Dans injuries but they appear to have been taken of the web pages. Does anyone know where I can get a copy from to e mail to someone

A friend has asked to look at the photo's of Dans injuries but they appear to have been taken of the web pages. Does anyone know where I can get a copy from to e mail to someone

Thanks  :D

Go to

www.bossracing.org

go to the news page and click on the link for'Injury Forces Weymouth Withdrawl After Edinburgh Leaves It's Marks'

Peter Oakes is a man of his word - tapes are now being checked by officials at tracks after refs and track MO's have been shown Dan's pics.

Regards

BriG

Type in

www.bossracing.org

go to the news page and click on the link for'Injury Forces Weymouth Withdrawl After Edinburgh Leaves It's Marks'

Peter Oakes is a man of his word - tapes are now being checked by officials at tracks after refs and track MO's have been shown Dan's pics.

Regards

BriG

Hope he is ok now Brian George has missed racing him

George was more lucky with his tape flip though did hell of a lot of damage to the bike.

Guest Christophers Dad

George will be able to go out with Chris soon, he now has a Jawa,but we will let him get used to it first :o:o

Edited by Christophers Dad

Nasty looking incident, I hope he is soon back on the bike.

George will be able to go out with Chris soon, he now has a Jawa,but we will let him get used to it first :o:o

Good luck to Chris, Pat..................and your wallet :D

When tracks can't get the exact grade of tape, they can always cut a nick in the tape at midpoint of each start gate. This was done at Glasgow for the pairs, as I saw it being done, and they broke for both Stoney and Mark.

Grant MacDonald caught his helmet on the tapes at Newcastle coming back from his broken neck and I think missed his later rides because of the pain. :(

:blink::blink:

Thanks for the info - I have now found it and passed it on.

Hope he is making a good recovery now :D

Guest Christophers Dad
hope to see you back at oxford .when your better .from all of us at oxford.

He did ride at Oxford last week you silly b***er :approve::shock: