British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
oxford duke

Speedway memories

What memories from speedway really stick in your mind the most :?:

I have a few - An October league match at Bradford in 1992, important to the title race, last heat decider, Per jonsson and partner make the gate, but Simon Wigg and him clashed on the first bend, Jonsson went off and Reading lost as he was excluded! I still don't know whether jonsson fell or he was pushed.

I also remember Dukes winning at Belle Vue in 1997 to almost seal the title! Sweet.

the most bizarre was watching Hans Andersen at Belle Vvue cling onto his bike only by his arms with his legs at one side of the bike. He somehow stayed on :!:

The overtaking moves that stick in my mind both involve Havvy and Joe Screen! Per jonsson dived between them in what was possibly the best race i have ever seen and Alan Grahame split them in a great manouevre in 1995!

That race where Per split Havvy & Screeny was also the best race I have seen in 29 years of watching speedway. It was also the only time I have ever seen the home grandstand get to their feet & applaud an away rider like they did 8)

Sadly Per was badly injured shortly afterwards :cry:

The BV match in 1997 was fantastic. I had been going to BV regular since 1991 (still do) & it was the first time we had beaten them in a league match, either as Bradford or Halifax since something like 1973 :!: We beat them in League Cup, Champions Cup & Gold Cup but not for 24 years in the league.

the most bizarre was watching Hans Andersen at Belle Vvue cling onto his bike only by his arms with his legs at one side of the bike. He somehow stayed on :!:

We were talkin about this last nite at BV cos Andersen was riding. It was almost as spectacular as Bobby Ott appearing to fall off & get back on his machine in one movement, something I saw him do not once but twice, once at BV & the other at Bradford :-o

He was a great entertainer shame he didn't make more of his career than he did really :-(

That race where Per split Havvy & Screeny was also the best race I have seen in 29 years of watching speedway. It was also the only time I have ever seen the home grandstand get to their feet & applaud an away rider like they did 8)

Sadly Per was badly injured shortly afterwards :cry:

The BV match in 1997 was fantastic. I had been going to BV regular since 1991 (still do) & it was the first time we had beaten them in a league match, either as Bradford or Halifax since something like 1973 :!: We beat them in League Cup, Champions Cup & Gold Cup but not for 24 years in the league.

Yeah, although Per wasn't generally liked at Odsal due to Reading beating us in the title and a clash with sean wilson, that move was beyond brilliant, and no wonder the odsal crowd got to their feet :) Jonssons injury still does upset me, he was a nice guy, and what happened to him was awful. The loss to speedway was also a great one. I cant help thinking that tony ricko might not have five world titles if jonsson had been around.

I was only 13 at the time when we won at belle vue but a massive massive dukes fan and i loved the win there, it was majestic :D :!: :!: We walked past John Perrin on the way out and he was really angry. But didnt he use billy hamills rider replacement ride in a nominated race :?: I think it was legal but it was sneaky!

Bobby Ott was an entertainer! At the fours one year, he was on two minutes so he went on the centre green to get to the tapes and the crowd booed. Mr showtime!

Any other memories anybody? It will bring back other peoples happy memories! Its sent me nostalgic for odsal! im only 19 too. [/b]

Good old Per. I can just imagine him doing that. I used to go to Reading every week just to watch him do stuff like that – and he did it regularly. You’d even get Racers fans hoping he’d be last out of the start just to watch his cat & mouse tactics on the hapless race leader, before swooping on the final bend. I agree that if he had not been injured then many more World titles would have come his way. Fantastic rider.

I only visited Halifax once, but I enjoyed it there – definitely the kind of track I enjoy. Swindon lost, but what I remember best is Phil Crump beating Kenny Carter twice in the match and then again in the second half final. (Pictures here)

Too memories to mention, mainly from the 70's/80's Rye House on a Sunday afternoon was always a good day out :!: Especially if the River had burst it's banks (Again!!) when the pubs new dance floor that was illuminated got waterlogged and fused!

Guest DaveC

One of my many Speedway Memories, and one that always remains in my mind was of a race at Wimbledon in 1976(i think it was). It was a Challenge Match between the Dons and Newport. The Dons had the superb Martin Ashby guesting for them at No 1 replacing the late and Great Tommy. His partner in the race was Stefan Salomonnsson. The race was a fantastic duel for the whole 4 laps, the Newport guys were all over Martin has he slowed the race down at every corner waiting for his partner. The Dons got a 5-1 in the race and it just brought the place down. I'm not very good at describing the race, you had to be there to witness it. Martin guested a lot that season for The Dons and never let them down, always team riding when possible.