British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Your All-time Hero..and Why

Guest Christophers Dad

Bob Kilby my all time hero :o ,the fastest gater ive ever seen .

A really nice person also,good to see him at Oxford last season with the Mad Wellie :D:D

Guest Guest

Paul Tyrer is my all-time fave. He was a classy, sleak rider who failed to reach his potential after a 1974 injury. He was a 7.50 point rider then. Really went downhill after leaving Belle Vue in '76 and had retired within three years.

Guest nz
Paul Tyrer is my all-time fave. He was a classy, sleak rider who failed to reach his potential after a 1974 injury. He was a 7.50 point rider then. Really went downhill after leaving Belle Vue in '76 and had retired within three years.

Guest Guest_napoleon_*

MikeBrodbanks theRed Devil,despite bad heatlh and a 30 year career with no testimimonial or farwellmeetng. Wondefrul man and great rider

I was not around Pre 70's so I am going to enter my Dads favourite, Clive Featherby, who never gave anybody an inch when riding for Sheffield in the sixties.

Napolean - Following your comments about Mike Broadbank, you should enjoy the next issue (50) of VSM...which includes a very good exclusive interview with the 'Red Devil' himself.

Don't get vsm so maybe already done him,but what about Olle Nygren.Fantastic rider and there aren't many riders,even British that have done so much to help develope young talent.

:cry: is that a yes or a no as to whether you are doing a "special" to cover the Hackney Re-Union :cry:

Shazz,

We at Retro Speedway won't be producing any magazine or book 'special' for sale on the night of the reunion, as I'm told the organisers are publishing a souvenir prog/brochure themselves.

I was wondering if we should offer for sale old black & white pics (action & portrait) of the ex-Hackney riders who will be there on the night (with a donation to the Vic Harding fund), but maybe there won't be much response to that? I know you'd buy 10 pics of Ted, but who else will want to know?????

But we will definitely be covering the event, in words and pics, for our following issue of Backtrack, as well as pin down a few of the former Hawks present for interviews that can be held over to a later date...

Bernie Persson.

When I was very young Cradley Heath were a very unfashionable club, Bernie took the weight of the team on his shoulders and was an out and out number one, he was hugely popular with me and thousands of other Black Country fans.

I still watch the video of the 1972 World Final at Wembley and I've got the 1973 World Team Cup final tape also from Wembley as reminders of Bernie Persson's on track performances.

Over 32 years after I first saw Bernie ride I finally met him in person at a veteran riders dinner in Sydney Australia, it was the night before the Australian Grand Prix, a very nice man who showed great interest in Peter Foster's Cradley Heath book which I had taken along for him to sign, we enjoyed a drink or two, took a few photos and then the night after the GP I stood next to Bernie during a meeting at Gosford Speedway.

Got a photo of me and Bernie at the dinner if you are interested TMC.

Shazz,

I know you'd buy 10 pics of Ted, but who else will want to know?????

Not me!!! (probably got all the photos of him inherited from my nan :wink: ) but......... Barry Thomas ooooooo those eyes :P

Shazz,

I was wondering if we should offer for sale old black & white pics (action & portrait) of the ex-Hackney riders who will be there on the night (with a donation to the Vic Harding fund), but maybe there won't be much response to that? I know you'd buy 10 pics of Ted, but who else will want to know?????

Tony - you know I would purchase some and would be happy to pay a little extra knowing the money was going towards a good cause such as VHF or Speedway Museum.

Bernie Persson.

When I was very young Cradley Heath were a very unfashionable club, Bernie took the weight of the team on his shoulders and was an out and out number one, he was hugely popular with me and thousands of other Black Country fans.

I still watch the video of the 1972 World Final at Wembley and I've got the 1973 World Team Cup final tape also from Wembley as reminders of Bernie Persson's on track performances.

Over 32 years after I first saw Bernie ride I finally met him in person at a veteran riders dinner in Sydney Australia, it was the night before the Australian Grand Prix, a very nice man who showed great interest in Peter Foster's Cradley Heath book which I had taken along for him to sign, we enjoyed a drink or two, took a few photos and then the night after the GP I stood next to Bernie during a meeting at Gosford Speedway.

Got a photo of me and Bernie at the dinner if you are interested TMC.

Iremeber Bernie turning out for Sheffield in his last season in Britain, he was a little past his best , but was still a class act.

While speaking of Bernie Persson, who I agree was always a class act to watch,

I recall a somewhat amusing incident at Halifax once. (This again was in the 70's).

Halifax's redoubtable reserve Mike Hiftle performed a minor miracle by getting out of the gate first in a race that Bernie Persson was also involved in.

As Hiftle raced up the back straight Bernie Persson almost caught up with him ready to make an overtaking manouvre, which everyone expected would happen.

Just as Persson was about to make his overtaking move, the 'excitable' Hiftle did his customary 'wobble', which he was prone to do when he found himself in any other position but fourth place. Persson immediately shut off and fell some distance behind Hiftle.

You could almost hear Persson thinking 'F... that for a game of soldiers'.

I feel a little left out :cry:

Will the VSm be doing another article but pre 80s (ie 1970-1979)? More my era. :)

• Like 1