British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Your All-time Hero..and Why

What does it mean John captained Australia in speedway and dirt track racing????What is dirt track racing then?Longtrack or auto racing :unsure: Not sure i would understand an explanation from Trackman though.So if anyone else would like to offer an explanation :lol:
its the aussie eqivulant of grasstrack it takes place temporary tracks ie fields etc hope this helps you oddy Edited by oddfossengen

Not sure i would understand an explanation from Trackman though.So if anyone else would like to offer an explanation :lol:

I could wright it slowly for you..... :rolleyes:

Regards.

PS.

Dirt track is a track that is Dirt. :lol: ..

We also put in a right turn. :blink: at some meeting MX bikes line up with the boys on the grasstrack bikes... not a good mix at times. :neutral:

Thanks for the answers.So there were dirt track internationals/test matches?Against who?

Not sure i would understand an explanation from Trackman though.So if anyone else would like to offer an explanation :lol:

Afraid I can't offer an explanation, but I do concur with the rest of your post. :wink:

Charlie Monk, because of his cool non talking exteriour.

I was told that he would heat his R40 and bring it in a flask to put it into his oil tank and therefore gain an advantage in getting his bike going.

I also remember him giving me his autograph and putting an X on the chin of a photo of George Hunter!

If only he had made it to a world final, he had the class to make a rostrum place.

My father gave me my first taste of speedway at Glasgow White City in 1968 ( the year before it shut i think ) and Charlie was my first Tigers hero . Always remember being devastated when rider control forced him to move to Sheffield a couple of years later , but i seem to remember he did guest a lot for us in his year away .

My dad used to take me to both Monarchs & Tigers meeting when I was a lad - so it was George Hunter, Reider Eide (sp?) and Charlie Monk for me as speedway heroes- old age affects memory but I seem to remember George Hunter getting lots of max's

My dad used to take me to both Monarchs & Tigers meeting when I was a lad - so it was George Hunter, Reider Eide (sp?) and Charlie Monk for me as speedway heroes- old age affects memory but I seem to remember George Hunter getting lots of max's

All terrific riders . And yes he did score many a maximum .

your spelling is quite correct .

All terrific riders . And yes he did score many a maximum .

your spelling is quite correct .

Not exactly, Paul. It's Reidar.

Not exactly, Paul. It's Reidar.

Ah well - i spelt it wrong all those years ago . :lol:

Australia V England dirt track test.. http://www.johnlangfield.whlsites.com/ Chris Pusey, Julian Wigg... think Broadbank might of been in the team too .. 74/75? BFD might be able to help? or Rossco G. (;O))

Regards.

Thanks for the answers.So there were dirt track internationals/test matches?Against who?

is that a first? :lol:

Regards.

PS.

Do you concur KevH, I'm ya most talked about Trackman? ..... :rolleyes:

Afraid I can't offer an explanation, :wink:

So you concur with ya self then. :o ... Ya like KevH, been reading too much Trackman,

Ya get dizzy :P if you do as many laps as us Trackmen you know? :blink:

Regards.

PS.

Stay Safe 'Paulco'.... you might end up on a bike... :approve:

Ah well - i spelt it wrong all those years ago . :lol:

Your All-time Hero..and Why, Tell us your favourites pre-70s.... :unsure:

sorry Mods.... :rolleyes:

Regards.

My pre 70's hero was Ron Johnston of Belle Vue. (Never to be confused although he often is with Ron Johnson).

Seemed as hard as nails, loved riding in the rain (if you could believe Johnnie Hoskins) and according to the late Allan Morrey he could have been another Kiwi world champ if he had concentrated more on his speedway career. Used to stick his Belle Vue pay packets straight into a drawer because he was running his own business. I remember a rare occasion when he fell off on the pits bend and one of the Roger brothers (Bob I think) ran right over him. I met the original Johnno at a Peter Craven memorial meeting a few seasons ago and reminded him of this, however my hero could not remember it.

When Johnno retired he was replaced by Gote Nordin. I remember how impressed I was as a youngster seeing this picture in the Manchester Evening Chronicle of Gote in a race jacket with a Viking ship on the front. About the time Kirk Douglas was doing his stuff in the film of the Vikings. Magic.

As a Birmingham follower I can only state from when I first followed speedway mid-70s.

The Brummies golden years had messrs Warren,Hunt etc but for me it has to be Phillip Edwin Herne arrived in 73 as a teenager and within ONE season was a 10 point man in the second tier, gutted like so many others when he left for BL Newport in 75.

Elated in 78 when he returned and in my mind should have lead us on to great things, but 79-80 he had personal problems plus the leaving of king Joe Thurley didnt help. He then left for Leicester, but never really was the same again.

My fav! "PHIL HERNE"

Edited by stansolo