Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Your All-time Hero..and Why

john tiger louis for me seen him a handful of times at derwent park for the witches and england internationals .Think it was 71 he scored an 18 pt max.and retained his silver helmet against taffy owen.I believe he held it all season until losing it to phil crump at the end of the year i was even a member of his fan club .Great rider great memories

My first speedway hero was Ernie Price of Bradford. I can't give a special reason now - but then the admiration did start in 1946 - that's 66 years ago! So I guess I can be forgiven for this memory lapse?

Ernie's brother Tom rode with him at Liverpool and Belle Vue pre-war, and another brother Norman was a Bradford team-mate in the late 1940s.

The Price brothers were potato merchants at Burscough Bridge, Lancs, and a haulier firm in the same area and run by Oliver and Ron Hart used to transport for them.

Edited by speedyguy

Bernie Persson.

When I was very young Cradley Heath were a very unfashionable club, Bernie took the weight of the team on his shoulders and was an out and out number one, he was hugely popular with me and thousands of other Black Country fans.

I still watch the video of the 1972 World Final at Wembley and I've got the 1973 World Team Cup final tape also from Wembley as reminders of Bernie Persson's on track performances.

Over 32 years after I first saw Bernie ride I finally met him in person at a veteran riders dinner in Sydney Australia, it was the night before the Australian Grand Prix, a very nice man who showed great interest in Peter Foster's Cradley Heath book which I had taken along for him to sign, we enjoyed a drink or two, took a few photos and then the night after the GP I stood next to Bernie during a meeting at Gosford Speedway.

Got a photo of me and Bernie at the dinner if you are interested TMC.

Not really a hero of mine but a great rider that's John Boulger

Let's see now ,as I started to go to speedway in 1972, can any one guess which team I support .lol.used to like Oddy Fosengen great solid rider,All entertainment man Christer Lofqvist .But my alll time favourite would be for entertainment would be Eric Broadbelt for his never say die round the boards .I used to look forward to the the white line man Pete Smith overtaking on the inside like no one else could. Next would be a draw between Dickie May and Colin the JAP Goody for great team riding and just about the worst reserve a team could have (in a 12 year olds mind at that time) Mike Cake , as when ever he was due to ride a groan would go around the track .

Let's see now ,as I started to go to speedway in 1972, can any one guess which team I support .lol.used to like Oddy Fosengen great solid rider,All entertainment man Christer Lofqvist .But my alll time favourite would be for entertainment would be Eric Broadbelt for his never say die round the boards .I used to look forward to the the white line man Pete Smith overtaking on the inside like no one else could. Next would be a draw between Dickie May and Colin the JAP Goody for great team riding and just about the worst reserve a team could have (in a 12 year olds mind at that time) Mike Cake , as when ever he was due to ride a groan would go around the track .

I remember Cake crumbled when he went out there, and went to pieces. I would guess you support Swindon. :lol:

I remember Cake crumbled when he went out there, and went to pieces. I would guess you support Swindon. :lol:

Ha . Nearly rumbled . As for Cake well he did get creamed a lot

For Me It has To Be Olle Nygren ,The green Scarf ,the White Boots the agressive style of riding, and after that I learned of His motorcycling Exploits Moto Cross ,Isle of Man A truley all round Great Motorcyclist Also His Work at Kings Lynn Training Riders, One of Whom became another favorite Torbjorn Harrysson, Olle By Golly the best ever.

For me? Well two because firstly it's Sverre Harrfeldt because him crashing got me into all this and here I am some 46 years later! And secondly, not a rider but Crayford Speedway which led to me meeting my ex-wife and thus be presented with my gorgeous daughter.

Blimey I've written all that WITHOUT having a single drink - and NO, no doubles or triples either! :shock:

Edited by Bryn

lots of heroes..first one for me was Jimmy Squibb of New Cross, the first time I watched speedway. Others were Craven, Nygren, Knutsson, Briggo, and Clive Hitch was an unsung hero.

Personally always be Anders Michanek..nice guy to deal with as well...latterly Mick Poole.

Agree with you about Anders ,one of my genuine heros in my youth , but Micky Poole more of an legend in a lunch box :)

Olly olsen as he was a great rider. My mum used to work at brandon and knew him well. Nice guy.

Also chris harris in the 2010 play offs. Alot of riders would have withdrawn from the meeting after being rode over the way he was but instead he got up, won the race and inspired the rest of the team to a win which most thought was impossible.

i grew up at Reading every monday evening and my all time here was Jan Anderson, closely followed by Per Johnson who in my eyes was the best rider ever, later on when we moved away from that area then i liked Hans Nielsen what a great speedway rider he was

My heroes were Briggo, Malc Holloway, Martin Ashby,P Crump,Mike Lee and Tommy Jansson.

Norman Strachan, because he lets me pat him on the head every Wednesday! :D Seriously. I can go back to 1970 but for me Mark Loram, who was responsable for getting me back into Speedway,after a 5 year gap, and his never say die attitude, a real racer. And Tony Rickardsson, pure class.

Edited by Starman2006