British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Your All-time Hero..and Why

Norman Strachan, because he lets me pat him on the head every Wednesday! :D Seriously. I can go back to 1970 but for me Mark Loram, who was responsable for getting me back into Speedway,after a 5 year gap, and his never say die attitude, a real racer. And Tony Rickardsson, pure class.

Pretty good choices starman ,remember seeing Mark as a 16 year old at the wick couldn't gate then by god he was exciting over the years one of the nice guys too.

Pretty good choices starman ,remember seeing Mark as a 16 year old at the wick couldn't gate then by god he was exciting over the years one of the nice guys too.

Guess what, Sidney. I remember seeing Mark Loram as a 16 year old at Hackney too. Hackney v Swindon when Simon Wigg was in the Hackney side. There was a "Yoof TV" station filming and it was on later on Channel 4 I think. Loram was featured because he was the youngest rider in the league at that time. I've probably still got it on an old video tape somewhere!

Zdenek Kudrna---always gave 100% you never knew what was going to happen next with him;always had a smile on his face for you.

Hope to visit his grave next year when the WTC is in Czecho.

• Like 2

Tim Bungay, because he was the first "not much good, but a real trier" I saw when I started seeing speedway at Wembley in 1970

Dave Mullett, for being the first rider I ever really took notice of, and when you're four, and busy playing with the hinges on the seats at Canterbury, it takes a lot to distract you, mark my words. And Andy Galvin, who is, was, and always will be, the reason I stick with it.

Todd Wiltshire, who joined the Dons as a unheralded reserve. Three months later he was a heat leader and in his second season attained a 9.91 average before moving onto greater glories in the BL with Reading.

Dave Lanning dubbed him "The fastest alive over the first 25"

I remember as I young boy my uncle Terry coming round to my house and telling my Mum that my favorite rider had been tragically killed in a racing incident, Peter Craven was that rider, strangely his initials represent my post 70's favorite rider.

Peter Craven lives in my memory for ever.

John Louis for me, started riding speedway at the age of 29 and went on to be one of the top riders in the world very quickly. Gave his all for home club Ipswich, probably at the expense of individual gory, bringing league titles and cup glory to a team made up mostly of local lads. Became the first Englishman to rostrum for many a year when coming 3rd at Wembley in 1975, a World Pairs title in 1976 and 4 World Team Cup wins in 72,73,74 and 75. A genuine local boy that came good, we can only wonder how many titles he could have won if he had started as a teenager. Top man, on and off the track.

• Like 1

Malc Holloway was my favourite ever rider remember him destroying the flower beds at the Abbey in 77?Mike Lee was a close second a class act probably at his best one of the quickest ive seen destroyed Crumpie in the helmet once and that was difficult to do then.

I feel no list of the past great riders would be complete without the inclusion of TERRY BETTS. He was a wonderful captain and a brilliant ambassador of our sport. Had time for everyone and gave 110% each time he rode. He was never a World Champion, but he never let you down. He would ride round in that comfortable style he had and would always be relied to get double figures. A truly wonderful Team man. Probably, if it was possible to actually look at his heart, you would see it is the shape of the Kings Lynn 's STAR... :t:

Leigh Adams for me. The best team rider i have ever seen. I have bought numerous DVD's of Swindon matches, especially at Blunsdon, where he nurses his team mates around for all 4 laps. Absolutely worth the admission money alone to watch it. Sure, on occasions i have seen him make the odd error and the opposing rider gets past...Woodward at Eastbourne springs to mind where he went past both Adams and McGowan, but generally it was an inevitable 5-1.

Leigh and Lee Richardson's partnership in the latter heats was almost telepathic, and a close second was the Adams, Zagar show in heat 15. Simply fantastic stuff.

Leigh was a good guy too. A solid team man, good with the fans. Sadly missed.

John Louis for me, started riding speedway at the age of 29 and went on to be one of the top riders in the world very quickly. Gave his all for home club Ipswich, probably at the expense of individual gory, bringing league titles and cup glory to a team made up mostly of local lads. Became the first Englishman to rostrum for many a year when coming 3rd at Wembley in 1975, a World Pairs title in 1976 and 4 World Team Cup wins in 72,73,74 and 75. A genuine local boy that came good, we can only wonder how many titles he could have won if he had started as a teenager. Top man, on and off the track.

Have to agree Blu, i used to enjoy watching Louis. Like lightening from the gate. As a kid, i thought his 'tiger' stripes on the arms of his leathers were really stylish too!

Saw his magnificent 15 point maximum in the British Final at Coventry in 75. That final contained probably one of the best races i have ever seen...Ray Wilson/Martin Ashby...think it was a run off...Wilson won because Ashby was too nice....something you would never say about Louis!

• Like 1

Alf Wells, George hunter, Ian Hoskins,and the rest of the 65/67 Edinburgh teams at Old Meadowbank.

Alfie taught me a lot as an apprentice mechanic, Laybank Express cause he was so friendly, but on the bike so so very good.

The 65/67 teams made me so proud to be a fan at that time.

Ian Hoskins, i say a big Thank You for bringing Speedway to the fans everywhere, but for me bringing it to Edinburgh

Edited by dode1

Leigh Adams for me. The best team rider i have ever seen. I have bought numerous DVD's of Swindon matches, especially at Blunsdon, where he nurses his team mates around for all 4 laps. Absolutely worth the admission money alone to watch it. Sure, on occasions i have seen him make the odd error and the opposing rider gets past...Woodward at Eastbourne springs to mind where he went past both Adams and McGowan, but generally it was an inevitable 5-1.

Leigh and Lee Richardson's partnership in the latter heats was almost telepathic, and a close second was the Adams, Zagar show in heat 15. Simply fantastic stuff.

Leigh was a good guy too. A solid team man, good with the fans. Sadly missed.

Have to agree Blu, i used to enjoy watching Louis. Like lightening from the gate. As a kid, i thought his 'tiger' stripes on the arms of his leathers were really stylish too!

Saw his magnificent 15 point maximum in the British Final at Coventry in 75. That final contained probably one of the best races i have ever seen...Ray Wilson/Martin Ashby...think it was a run off...Wilson won because Ashby was too nice....something you would never say about Louis!

Wilson Ashby and Louis total legends in my opinion i loved all three of them also the Booey Brothers and Bettsy a super era.
  • Like 1

Wilson Ashby and Louis total legends in my opinion i loved all three of them also the Booey Brothers and Bettsy a super era.

I used to enjoy the rivalry with Newport in those days sidders. Crump, Herne and the pantomime villain, Gresham. Their friendly and noisy fans, the crap track at Somerton Park...