British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest cheetahhawk

Speedway on radio

Guest cheetahhawk

Last weekend we were at Mum-in laws place and she has recently had new carpets laid and when the old carpets and lino were taken up she found a couple of copies of the Radio Times from 1946.

In one of the Radio Times we spotted "speedway from West Ham,"the meeting covered was West Ham versus Wembley,on the Light programme.the date of the meeting was 9th July 1946. Has anyone got any idea of the outcome of this meeting? The reason I ask is that my hubby was only a day old then so he doesn't remember :lol: It would be interesting to find out the results of the meeting and the riders involved.

Over to you, Kevin ...

Last weekend we were at Mum-in laws place and she has recently had new carpets laid and when the old carpets and lino were taken up she found a couple of copies of the Radio Times from 1946.

I don't know the answer to your question but I'd like to know where she got her carpets from. Nearly sixty years wear is remarkable! :P

I might try to go for the record now as I think the carpet in our bedroom has been down for about 25 years. All the backing is long gone but the carpet itself looks pretty good still. :lol:

Guest cheetahhawk

Gem,I don't know if the carpets were that old but I think the lino had been down for about 55 years.My mum-in -law always gets bargains. :)

i have a couple of 1946 scrap books so will see if the result is in there as they mostly focus on London tracks

9 July 1946:

West Ham 62 Wembley 46 (London Cup Match)

Scorers:

West Ham - Eric Chitty 17, Colin Watson 12, Malcolm Craven 10, Cyril Anderson 7, Bob Harrison 6, Benny King 6, Buck Whitby 3, Ron Howes 1

Wembley - Bill Kitchen 14, Tommy Price 10, Georgie Wilkes 9, Charlie May 4, Bob Wells 3, Alf Bottoms 3, Roy Craighead 2, Bronco Wilson 1

9 July 1946:

West Ham 62 Wembley 46 (London Cup Match)

Scorers:

West Ham - Eric Chitty 17, Colin Watson 12, Malcolm Craven 10, Cyril Anderson 7, Bob Harrison 6, Benny King 6, Buck Whitby 3, Ron Howes 1

Wembley - Bill Kitchen 14, Tommy Price 10, Georgie Wilkes 9, Charlie May 4, Bob Wells 3, Alf Bottoms 3, Roy Craighead 2, Wilson 1

Hey

anyone remember my purchase, at Lol's fundraiser, of an oil painting of the very same Colin Watson ?,

(Great night wasn't it)

You do, don't you Sarah ;) :clown

That was Colin Watson's last full match for West Ham. He was badly injured four days later at Odsal and never rode again.

Hey CH

can I have a photocopy of your prog - to put with my oil painting, plz?

Thanks Norbold

Sorry Addict, I haven't got a copy of the programme. I got the result from Stenner's 1947 Annual.

Now you've made me give my secret away... :lol:

nice one Norbold..you beat me to it!!

I have in the scrapbook the preview to the meeting... feast your eyes on this...

'WEST HAM CAN BEAT SPEEDWAY GIANTS'

A crowd of 60,000 is expected at West Ham tonight when the home riders meet Wembley in the opening stages of their Evening News London Cup tie (7.45pm).

Though West Ham are at the foot of the league table, they are the only London team to have defeated Wembley this season and are capable of gaining a good lead this evening.

It goes on to mention how things rested on the second strings Bob Harrison, Cyril Anderson and 'Buck' Whitby can rise to the occasion and back up the efforts of Eric Chitty, Malcolm Craven and Colin Watson.

Oh and for Cheetahawk, at the bottom of the article it says...

Tonights racing will be broadcast on the Light Programme from 8.45pm to 9.30pm

Somehow Norbold, I think you would enjoy going through these 1946 and 1947 scrap books... we shall have to meet at speedway somewhere so you can see them.

... and your Gran gave it to you Norbold ... :)

Plz can i have a copy plz

double take .... how many thousand?

Steve, I would love to see your scrapbooks. I've just been lent a couple from 1938 and 1939. Fascinating stuff. My next meeting is Wimbledon on 28 May, if you happen to be that way...

Addict, West Ham's average gate that year was about 50,000! 60,000 was nothing unusual. I'm not sure what it is you want a copy of, is it my gran?

not going to Wimbledon, but will you be at Iwade for the meetings in June?

will you be at Iwade for the meetings in June?

I could be persuaded! I'll let you know. Thanks, Steve.