British Speedway Forum

From what I gather Prague is now seen to be the destination for stag do's. I suppose it brings a lot of trade but some of the drunken scenes doesn't do anybody any good.

Prague's actually trying to rid itself of "stag parties" and attract higher end tourists. The current "in" places for stag parties, I am told, are Krakow and Tallinn. But Prague still gets it's share.

We stayed in the Andel. which is on the other side of the river.

This was also the hotel of Travel Plus.

We had a suite as there was 5 of us and we each paid £45 a night approx. It may be pricy compared to other hotels but within our budget.

The suite was superb - kitchen, lounge, 1 bedroom upstairs and 1 downstairs. Curtains worked at the push of a button and we had fruit, slippers and bath robes.

We also had huge wide screen TV's in the lounge and downstairs bedrooms. The upstairs also had an office style setting.

The only problem was the tram wasnt a direct route anywhere and when it was chucking down with rain you had to run to Wencalas Square to get the closest one to the hotel!! Have stayed both sides of the river now and out of choice I would be Old square side for transport but other side for hotel!!!!

But overall a really good weekend - and even better if you had webbed feet. :D

I was a bit surprised that there did not appear to be any speedway fans in The Prague Centre. Atmosphere was very subdued and foreign but it was still a very good hotel. The tram going from Vypich direct to Pavlova after the GP was a godsend given how heavy the rain was.

We had a bright idea a bit too late that night, to beat the queue afterwards (mind you we did get on the second number 22 that came along) - go two stops up the opposite way, to the terminus at Bila Hora, and then we would have already been on the return when it got back to Vypich.

There were some other fans around Pavlova, a load of Poles got off the tram there as well as me.

Thanks to Peter Ballinger for the quality instructions on getting from the airport and to the GP.

Super GP thanks to Scotty and the brilliant atmosphere on the 3rd bend (loads of brits there, even spotted a few with the same race cards!:)

There was only about 6 of us on the tram back from the GP, slight disappointment that GP closed so quickly afterwards and was walked out of the grounds by the police while trying to talk to Tony Steele, they would not even give us ‘two minutes’ warning to leave.

Visited nearly every major attraction in the guidebook included the 299 steps up Saint Vitus Cathedral at the Castle….Think I will give all them steps a miss next year!. The lift in the TV tower is a much better idea and the lift up Petrin Hill

I was a bit tired at the British Final in Legends but was good with about forty people in there. I wonder how many people would have been there if there were no BSF! Come to think of it some people may have never met each other, unofficially of course. :P:)

Didn’t have a single problem for the whole week we were there, but didn’t go into town on the Saturday night. If you drink in pubs like the George and the Dragon then you have only yourselves to blame, no offence to yourself though Tsunami.

Walked up Wenslasus Square a couple of times but never even thought about eating or drinking in that direct area, apart from Lucerna Music Bar which is a converted theatre playing 70 and 80’s on the Friday night. Which was good fun, relaxed atmosphere.

The food was excellent in all the restaurants we ate in, some very good ones such as Kolkovna close to the old town and towards the Jewish area as well as some local to our Hotel.

Nice cocktail bar near hotel called Jet Set for the odd drink or three!

The Ibis Hotel at Andel was pretty awful and I really would not recommend it for next year, well not until my place is securely booked!

Phil

No offence taken either. I frequented it last year because Sunderland were getting knocked out of the playoffs by Crystal Palace and I didn't want to miss that. :D

The conversation I heard about fixing the girls up was as we were passing and the 'fixer' was outsite on the front. :angry:

:blink::blink:

Prague was fantastic !! We stayed at the Hotel Pyramida which was great - and within walking distance of the stadium (how we laughed at that tram queue on sat night!!). Also directly next to a tram stop so getting down into the town was no problem at all, will defo stay there again if (when!) we next go. Hotel seemed pretty popular with speedway fans, especially those from overseas, and also had a number of riders staying there ......

A special thank you to the fairies for sorting out the airport transfers - hope you got home OK ladies!!

ah now we didnt have a problem with the tram sat night,as we stayed in the stadium till kicking out time (like phil said) normaly you can stay in a lot later,duno why they didi that this year,any way the rain didnt spoil the attmosphere(after the meeting),just added to it,good to see ronnie corrie there (sitting in front of me in B senction) nice block,enjoying his beers as well.Oh i love that starrapramen( yes i no u dont phil) oh yeh,how was the brain hemarridge ? not very big tho,good to meet you and ruby tuesday and tigerblade,and of cause the pink fairies,and a few others,nice meeting you as well,and danny bird lookalike,you no who you are.LOL

This was my 3rd trip to the GP in Prague and had the best time yet, still trying to recover from it! Arrived on Thursday afternoon with easyJet and took the bus/metro to our appartment near Namsti Republicky. It cost GBP 25 each per night and was ideally located, you can see it here: http://www.hotelsprague.cz/truhlarska. Lots of beer before, during and after the speedway but avoided Wenceslas Square and the Old Town Square. Favoutite bars are Double Trouble on the lane from the Old Town Square to Wenceslas Sq, The Bombay Cocktail Bar and El Mojitto on Drouha, cant remember any others!

Did anyone notice the Danish flag with Newcastle written through the middle at the top of the flag pole nearest to the second bend? That was us! Had fun and loads of beer on Saturday night standing on the back straight with all of the Poles. Especially liked the game they played of pulling our flag down but it was soon back up again, until the police noticed what was happening and had a quiet word. Spoke fluent Polish by the end but can t remember a word now.

Edited by mitchf

Right, finally returned from my annual holiday to Great Yarmouth that was interrupted by a 4 day excursion to Prague.

Had a great time, the hotel we stayed in (with Travel Plus tours) was excellent and ideally situated for everything.

Friday night was fun, being a little delicate of health just recently I was scared to venture out for food, and thought I had been forgotten by the fairies (they hadn't but I was getting paranoid by this stage), so I did what all sad people do and cried my eyes out and sat there saying I want to go home....then got the phone call from the fairies saying you ready?

Going out with the fairies is a different sort of experience......I renamed it Sandies mystery tours, 2 hours (ok maybe a slight exageration) of walking on Friday night to find a place to eat, well most people go round in circles....we went round in squares but it was all good fun.

Saturday found us doing a tour of the city and my first experience of the trams...and the hunt for the 3 day ticket, can't believe how many places we asked for one of them including riding down a rather large excalator behind Mummy Fairy and then straight back up again.

At one point while on the way to the castle the group split up with Mummy Fairy still on her quest for the 3 day ticket so that left a group of 4 of us to continue to the castle.......well 1 of the group got off at the right stop, the other 3 of us were still on the tram when the doors closed and it drove off...to much hysterical laughter and shock. :rolleyes:

After many hours of walking and looking at fine buildings it was time for something to eat.....only problem was, time was running short and after wolfing down the meal (and no 1 son reacting with horror at the prospect of having his photo taken with Rory Schlein, much to the amusement of all of us around) it was a mad dash to get back to the hotel for the transfer to the stadium....must have been a funny sight to see a red faced me, trying to stomp down the road in flip flops but we made it back with seconds to spare (ok the coach was late leaving otherwise we would have been buggered).

The GP was excellent, brilliant seats and atmosphere and I shouted and waved my flags madly all the way through and to really make the night for my son, as we left the stadium and he was chanting something he had picked up from the fairies, he was given a special Polska hat from a Polish supporter.

Sunday we found somewhere near the hotel to watch the British final where we were joined by about another 50 supporters and great fun was had by all....much to the amusements of the locals who popped in every now and then to see what all the noise was about.

Monday and the day we came home but first a special treat, a visit to the Jawa factory which surprisingly I found interesting and of course my son was so excited about it all.

So all in all an excellent trip away and I definately want to go again next year...even if it is just for the cheap cigs and food. :D

So all in all an excellent trip away and I definately want to go again next year...even if it is just for the cheap cigs and food. :D

And you really should give that dark beer a chance Sue :wink:

bump.

bump.

Did the earth move Sandie? :wink::lol:

Did the earth move Sandie? :wink::lol:

Ha bloomin ha!!!! :lol:

Seriously though - I Asked Phil where I could find this old thread as it has lots of useful tips for those travelling to Prague - but remember it was started in 2005 so may be a little out of date. But suspect tram numbers and travel from airport to town etc will still be good.

Thanks Phil :wink:

Handy that this thread has reappeared, because I have a couple of questions about travelling outside Prague.

Obviously using public transport around Prague is super-simple, but I'm planning on getting a bus to Mladá Boleslav, where the Skoda factory and museum are.

Are the buses reliable around the rest of the country? Am I likely to get off into a strange world where nobody speaks a word of English?

Edited by Diesel