Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Grachan

Who Would You Like To See An Article On?

Anyone know what happened to Alan Mackie - former Sunderland 'Stars' Rider ???????

Geoff Ambrose - one of my favourite opposition riders. No-one ever seems to write anything about him but he looked awesome when he rode for Crayford at Cleveland Park in 1969/70.

Pete Reading - The first second division rider to be granted a testimonial in September 1977. He remains an elusive person to track down. Never an out and out No.1 but formed part of the 'engine room' of the team at Middlesbrough for 12 years.

Dave Durham - Rode at Middlesbrough between 1969 and 1975 until a second half crash with Newcastle's Robbie Blackadder. Slightly more consistent than Pete but once he walked away he never returned. Was fantastic to see him turn up at a reunion in Middlesbrough in 2005.

Dave Schofield - Impressive in the early days of the British League Division Two and won the Silver Helmet at Teesside in 1968. Signed for Workington in 1972 and was involved in a crash with Jack Millen, promptly retired from the sport never to be seen again.

Brian Whaley - Scored an impressive 15pt maximum on his debut at Cleveland Park for Berwick in May 1968. Moved abroad and worked on the US Apollo and then returned to the UK. Teesside promoter Ron Wilson signed him mid season 1970 and he was a total flop. He moved to Sunderland in 1971 and maintained a four point average in a mediocre team (sorry Ian!).

Henry Atkinson - Hugely influential team manager at Middlesbrough in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Henry's tales have often kept myself and Jason Pipe amused for hours on long away journeys. Fascinating to talk too and a very understated sense of humour.

Doug Underwood - I once had the pleasure of interviewing him and he was full of little anecdotes about his riding days. Doug rode for Scunthorpe, Leicester, Teesside, Reading and Weymouth and would make a great interviewee.

Sorry for being a lazy toady... but I can't sit and read through 21 pages of suggestions at

the moment.... but at the risk of doubling up any names, what about:

Dave Jessup, Ray Wilson, Martin Ashby, John Louis, Dennis Sigalos, Terry Betts,

Ian 'Tiddler' Turner, Tony Davey, Gordon Kennett, Mick Hines.... just to name a few.

John Louis would be my top pick.......!!

Geoff Ambrose - one of my favourite opposition riders. No-one ever seems to write anything about him but he looked awesome when he rode for Crayford at Cleveland Park in 1969/70.

He certainly was awesome for Crayford "CB" - and earned the nickname of "The Train."

Pete Reading - The first second division rider to be granted a testimonial in September 1977. He remains an elusive person to track down. Never an out and out No.1 but formed part of the 'engine room' of the team at Middlesbrough for 12 years.

Dave Durham - Rode at Middlesbrough between 1969 and 1975 until a second half crash with Newcastle's Robbie Blackadder. Slightly more consistent than Pete but once he walked away he never returned. Was fantastic to see him turn up at a reunion in Middlesbrough in 2005.

Dave Schofield - Impressive in the early days of the British League Division Two and won the Silver Helmet at Teesside in 1968. Signed for Workington in 1972 and was involved in a crash with Jack Millen, promptly retired from the sport never to be seen again.

Brian Whaley - Scored an impressive 15pt maximum on his debut at Cleveland Park for Berwick in May 1968. Moved abroad and worked on the US Apollo and then returned to the UK. Teesside promoter Ron Wilson signed him mid season 1970 and he was a total flop. He moved to Sunderland in 1971 and maintained a four point average in a mediocre team (sorry Ian!).

Henry Atkinson - Hugely influential team manager at Middlesbrough in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Henry's tales have often kept myself and Jason Pipe amused for hours on long away journeys. Fascinating to talk too and a very understated sense of humour.

Yes - you are right - I can't argue with that statement. We did have our success's (Russ Dent, George Barclay) but the rest apart from Goodall who b******d off half way through the Season were - as you say - mediocre.

I'd like to see something on a regular basis in Backtrack (if not Speedway Star) in memory of many of the riders who have lost their lives in the sport. Kevin Holden is one who springs to mind. Poole or Exeter never even held a memorial event for him which I think is a bit disrespectful.

Of how about a regular defunt club spot?

Hi Tony,

Apologies if it's been mentioned before, but it would be great to hear how Roger Johns is getting on these days.

Roger rode for the Dons between 1974-89, and I still fondly remember his 2nd bend cutbacks when he would power under startled opponents! Another thing in his favour is that we both went to the same school (Beverley Boys in New Malden) and at one school summer fete I spent a long time admiring his bike/leathers and even got to chat to the great man. :lol:

Regards

Barry Pickering

Before nearly demolishing everything on the centre green during a practice session at California-in-England in the 1957-58 winter, I signed a little girl's autograph album. Is there anywhere I might get my speedway memoirs published? :lol: I had good tutors over three or four years - at various times Maury McDermott, Jim Chalkley, Vic Ridgeon, Al Sparrey, Pat Flanagan, George Bason and Al Holliday. They all told me virtually the same thing in so many words - "We have never seen anyone like you on a speedway bike!" :rolleyes:

Edited by speedyguy

Before nearly demolishing everything on the centre green during a practice session at California-in-England in the 1957-58 winter, I signed a little girl's autograph album. Is there anywhere I might get my speedway memoirs published? :lol: I had good tutors over three or four years - at various times Maury McDermott, Jim Chalkley, Vic Ridgeon, Al Sparrey, Pat Flanagan, George Bason and Al Holliday. They all told me virtually the same thing in so many words - "We have never seen anyone like you on a speedway bike!" :rolleyes:

Sounds like you were a couple of centuries before the Backtrack (1970-90) era, so pse don't call us!

Sounds like you were a couple of centuries before the Backtrack (1970-90) era, so pse don't call us!

Yah! Boo! Spoilsport! I am taking my toys home! :rolleyes:

Hi Tony,

Apologies if it's been mentioned before, but it would be great to hear how Roger Johns is getting on these days.

Roger rode for the Dons between 1974-89, and I still fondly remember his 2nd bend cutbacks when he would power under startled opponents! Another thing in his favour is that we both went to the same school (Beverley Boys in New Malden) and at one school summer fete I spent a long time admiring his bike/leathers and even got to chat to the great man. :lol:

Regards

Barry Pickering

Hi Barry, I am in weekly contact with Roger! He is still slim and works as a plumber/tiler. He seems very fit and active, He was asked to attend a recent speedway event for veterans races and or parade lap, which he declined as he did not want to injure himself.Once a racer, always a racer!I can put you in touch with him, he is friendly and responds to emails from fans.I think he may even live close to you, but far away from me in Perth!

Andrew.

Hi Barry, I am in weekly contact with Roger! He is still slim and works as a plumber/tiler. He seems very fit and active, He was asked to attend a recent speedway event for veterans races and or parade lap, which he declined as he did not want to injure himself.Once a racer, always a racer!I can put you in touch with him, he is friendly and responds to emails from fans.I think he may even live close to you, but far away from me in Perth!

Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

Have sent you a PM

Hi Andrew,

Have sent you a PM

I have replied, did you receive all info? if not let me know!

terry shearer,mick hines,keith white, ted howgego, all rider i enjoyed watching during the 70s for brummies and behond