British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sully1202

Will We Ever Have A British World Champ Again

While i agree with most of what you say Andy,i can't see Hancock winning again

Nor can I - but if he can still get into the top 3, he's capable of winning it if other riders fail to deliver.

So there is still hope for our boys then,under those circumstances :P

:D:rolleyes::unsure::blink:-_-

Think the one thing that British Speedway needs is a multiple world champion. If you look at the countries who have had the most individual championship wins, these are boosted greatly by multiple champs. These countries have also seen a boost in speedway popularity as a result of the successes.

If you look at the success that Darts has had as a result of Phil Taylors championship wins, this is accentuated by many potential fans latching on to a winner, whilst an almost proportionate level want to see one of the 'Davids' beat the 'Goliath'. You only need to look at the live gate info for Premier League Darts for proof of the current health enjoyed by the game.

Mark Loram and Peter Collins got their respective balls rolling by winning one title, but only sustained success can win the hearts and minds the floating fans, former fans, and potential new fans which will lead the sport into a new golden era in GB.

Its a simple solution, only allow foreign riders to have an 8 point or more average.

That will cut the cheap dross that is blocking the leagues for the British riders.

Not sure i agree.Despite Nicki Pedersen's win and being at the Danish GP it is amazing how popular he is,that popularity hasn't made league racing in Denmark any more popular.In fact the Danish authorities were very disappointed last season.It just seems the fans turn up once a year :(

Think the one thing that British Speedway needs is a multiple world champion. If you look at the countries who have had the most individual championship wins, these are boosted greatly by multiple champs. These countries have also seen a boost in speedway popularity as a result of the successes.

If you look at the success that Darts has had as a result of Phil Taylors championship wins, this is accentuated by many potential fans latching on to a winner, whilst an almost proportionate level want to see one of the 'Davids' beat the 'Goliath'. You only need to look at the live gate info for Premier League Darts for proof of the current health enjoyed by the game.

Mark Loram and Peter Collins got their respective balls rolling by winning one title, but only sustained success can win the hearts and minds the floating fans, former fans, and potential new fans which will lead the sport into a new golden era in GB.

Entirely agree. We've never had anyone to dominate the sport like a Rickardsson, Mauger, Fundin, Briggs, Gundersen or Nielsen. Quite amazing, really - our top riders have been unlucky with injury, proved to be flaky or are not sufficiently committed to repeat or expand on any triumphs. This is one reason why I suggested that a sports psychologist might help.

Edited by AndyM

Yes Britian will have another World Champion one day, so long as Young riders get enough sponsership and backing to progress up through the three leagues.

It may not happen for a little while though.

Out of the current young British riders, who has the ability to make it to GP's?

Simon Stead? Chris Harris?

I'd love to see Steady as the next champion, but has he got it in him? Most of the Brits are great in the EL and beat the riders in the GP, but nerves must get to them on the big stage. Give it 10 or 15 years and we'll be seeing Auty as the Champion. Until then, we can only hope.

The killer is that most have up-and-coming riders beneath them who will form the next generation of success, and Poland is certainly looking good to have riders up there to replace Gollob soon.  Where are our lads?  Unless Stead, Kennett and co don't make very rapid headway and break into the GP circus darn quickly we'll be frozen out entirely.  Frankly, the next 2-4 years don't look at all promising for us.  This should be setting alarm bells ringing somewhere...but I don't see any evidence of that at all.  :unsure:  :angry:

I dont think its fair to say there is no evidence....

What do you think we are working for with the U15s :rolleyes:

We all know we will have a queit time but there are some good lads about and Ed kennett has shown in the test match he has class also when going to Wimbledon have been impressed by young Danny Betson. Lewis Bridger has a great future as does the top riders in the U15s as long as they are given the chances in the PL and EL and Peter Oakes is allowed to develope these lads.

Why are overseas riders allowed to double up????? this should be for BRITISH RIDERS ONLY. Also second rate overseas riders who are given chances time and time again also help with Vans accomadation etc while our lads are just left to fight there way on there own.?????

never understand that one

Under 15s is fine. But as I pointed out, the crisis won't wait that long - it's quite possible we might have no rider in GPs for 5 years!

Entirely agree.  We've never had anyone to dominate the sport like a Rickardsson, Mauger, Fundin,  Briggs, Gundersen or Nielsen.  Quite amazing, really - our top riders have been unlucky with injury, proved to be flaky or are not sufficiently committed to repeat or expand on any triumphs.  This is one reason why I suggested that a sports psychologist might help.

Spot on. I do wonder what would have happened if that drain had been covered up in '77, and PC had won two in a row? Maybe the 80s slump could have been, at least partially, avoided?

Edited by JC!

Under 15s is fine.  But as I pointed out, the crisis won't wait that long - it's quite possible we might have no rider in GPs for 5 years!

Agree with you there and the alarm bells should have sounded long before.

Had the conversation with George about this saying that if he makes it to EL will have a lot of expectations to do well.

He said no more than he would put on himself.

But what i would not want to see is these lads pushed to quickly. Just hope they get the chances in the PL and EL instead of an overseas rider "quick fix"

Also at the other end of the scale not many around on the 125s as a few years ago we need to do something to encourage the youngsters to have ago without a lot of expence a day for them to "Try out" some thing like that

ok so what would be everyone's 5/10 point plan to turn things around?

mine would be something like this (and probably very illegal :D):

1) overseas riders would come in on an 8+ average (until it was contested in the european courts) in PL and would not be allowed to move from 1,3 or 5

2) 2/3 years later the same would happen in the EL (although the transition to this would need to be well worked out and as gentle as possible)

2) contracts for overseas riders would be 'owned' by the BSPA and money earned would be ploughed into U15's and those on the U21 and GP trail

3) travelling expenses would be brought more in line to reality to encourage riders to more distant locations

4) The CL which would instantly grow because of the changes (no money in overseas flights anymore so the money goes into bringing through prospects) would be split into Northern and Southern leagues

5) until point 2 is implemented clubs need to be given incentives to take the leap with a young brit in the EL - scrap the 2.5% reduction...don't even think about 10%.....

- instead go for either a 2.00 point average for reserves and/or a 20% reduction for Brits - they are the commodity we would like to become the focus and there is no better way of doing it - i'm sure attitudes would change very quickly

edit: oh yeah and absolutely zero tolerance in the CL - commonwealth included

shoot me down :D

Edited by Splatty

Under 15s is fine.  But as I pointed out, the crisis won't wait that long - it's quite possible we might have no rider in GPs for 5 years!

which is why riders like Chris Harris, Simon Stead, Ed Kennett, James Wright, Dumps and Neathy need to be given ultimate support NOW - that could involve pairing them off with past legends, financial support, someone appointed to find sponsorship etc etc but I see no reason why these guys can't make it (and possibly others at similar levels)