British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sully1202

Will We Ever Have A British World Champ Again

These guys definitely need loads of back up and loads of money thrown at them (used wisely!) to make it to the top, le's hope they have the racing/mechanical brain and dedication needed to win the world championship in the future!

Edited by Trees

Oh, and remind me again who the wild cards were at Cardiff this year??

The "wild card" - there's only one - was David Norris, who's in his 30s. The track reserves were Kennett and Stead. They weren't guaranteed rides, but got a couple each after Sullivan withdrew.

The Polish "wild card" for Wroclaw was K Kasprzak after the initial pick Miskowiak withdrew. Both guys in their in their late-teens or early-twenties.

Leaving aside the fact we have little chance of a World Champ in the near future and our record is not so good.What about our record of GP wins.3 wins since the GP's started out of about 70 or 80 GP's is rather pathetic. :(

Josh Auty will be world champ one day

Haven't seen him, but maybe he is very promising. Just a word of caution, because a lot can go wrong between now and then. When they were 15/16, both Joe Screen and Andy Smith looked respectively like world champs, but never quite made it that far. It's a whole different ball game and demands complete dedication and perseverence.

You're from Yorkshire I see - remember a lad by the name of Michael Graves? At one time he rode junior matches and attended training school sessions at Bradford and Belle Vue, but Bammy wouldn't have anything to do with him because his father insisted that he wouldn't ride in wet conditions and wanted all kinds of things in his contract. The dad was convinced he was grooming his lad to be a future world champ. Sadly, the career of Michael Graves never made it beyond reserve for the Dukes in the mid-to-late 80s - and he certainly never learned to ride wet tracks!

Not saying Josh will fall into the same pattern, but he must stick at it, learn his trade and go through the ranks before he even thinks about becoming world champ.

same old same old - loads of great U18s some excellent young PL 2nd strings but mostly brave old battlers who plug away, life and soul of the party, good lad etc. We respect noble losers too much.

World champs LIVE and ACT like world champs - work hard, dont drink much if at all, eat well, train hard, keep fit, ride loads and invest wisely in gear.

Too many bright young things turn into beer monsters alongside fading old dudes and hang out in the bar. Riders should be serious, professional high-performance ATHLETES. Not fat, overweight, hung over, smokers who find it all a bit tiring.

Rico and Scott still have time and tbh Lee has looked unbeatable around the Abbey (3 consecutive max??) Made Mr Clean look human (almost).

Otherwise its Roynon, Kyle, Billy, etc - a long wait - and a lot can happen.

Edited by SwineTown

Just as man will one day walk on Mars. Bound to happen eventually, but who knows when? More to the point, when will we win 3 in a row and be the envy of the speedway world rather than a laughing stock?

Edited by AndyM

World champs LIVE and ACT like world champs - work hard, dont drink much if at all, eat well, train hard, keep fit, ride loads and invest wisely in gear.

Too many bright young things turn into beer monsters alongside fading old dudes and hang out in the bar. Riders should be serious, professional high-performance ATHLETES. Not fat, overweight, hung over, smokers who find it all a bit tiring.

And there we have it........ the way to the top.

Well said Swine Town. :approve:

Very true. How dedicated are our top guys to their cause? Do they devote their entire lives to becoming world champion? On the whole, I doubt it.

So we won't have any riders in the GP for the next 5 years, where Scott Nicholls going?  He may not be in the top 8 for an automatic place but he is certainly one of the best 15 riders in the World so will get a place because of BSI nomination.  Does anyone honestly think Scott is not GP standard and that there is another riderwho's not in the GPs that would do better than him?

Well I think tnoght showed he is a GP rider and I see no reason why he will not still be in the GP's in the ext 5-10 years time while we wait for the next kid to get there.

Simple answer. Yes.

And who? Lewis Bridger. :wink:

Lewis Bridger, yeah right!! David Howe had an 11+ CL average in 1997, he only droped points to punctures and broke chains. I'm sure one or two riders beat him, look at him now, a PL second string/heatleader with little chance of being World Champion and slightly better chance of being in the GP's

Otherwise its Roynon, Kyle, Billy, etc - a long wait - and a lot can happen.
Please tell em you don't mean Billy Legg?! Yes he is a reasonable rider, a 5.5 CL rider in his second season but see what I have just said about David Howe. If he was going to be a GP rider (not even World Champ), he'd be in the PL by now. He might one day ride in the EL but realistically, Pl heatleader at best, not that it's a bad thing.

I'm sorry but right now NO rider looks like a future World Champion, we have no Under 21 rider who is riding in the EL as a heatleader, that said, it's not impossible, who realistically thought Loram would be World Champion until 1999/2000-ish? Even then it was not that likely until it really happened.

With regards to James Wright, he seems to be a sensible kid who does not drink and keeps himself in reasonable condition but it's too early to tell if he is a likely World Champion.

Edited by SCB

Well I think tnoght showed he is a GP rider and I see no reason why he will not still be in the GP's in the ext 5-10 years time while we wait for the next kid to get there.

Did it?

It showed he is capable in the qualification heats, but he came a cropper in the semis. And you need to be hitting the finals.

I don't want to be nasty, but what is it now, 50 GPs since the last British winner?

Edited by Subedei

Why do you need to be hitting the finals to get a GP place, I thought u had to be in the top 15 riders in the World. Are you seriously claiming Scott is not one of the top 15 riders in the World?

Why do you need to be hitting the finals to get a GP place, I thought u had to be in the top 15 riders in the World. Are you seriously claiming Scott is not one of the top 15 riders in the World?

I'd say there's more than 15 riders better than Lindback, but Lindback's making finals pretty regularly this season.

The BSPA have the responsibility to assist clubs developing young British talent, on and off the track. Perhaps if they spent less time trying to make up silly new rules every week and more time actually looking at the state of the sport in this conutry then Britain might just get somewhere.

Promoters are more interested in their club winning than the sport as a whole, and if that means stunting the development of a younger rider just to win a meeting or 2 they will. You only have to look at Coventry as an example of what happens if you persevere as Harris was pretty poor last season, but given support on and off the track he is flying at the moment.

Too much short sighted thinking in British speedway, not enough planning for the future.