British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Papa Bazarou

SGP of Sweden - Avesta Sweden 31st May

Does anyone know anything about the potential council strike in Stockholm, that may put the meeting in jeopardy ?

Someone eluded to the fact on a mail list, don't know if there is any fact there or just another rumour.

Does anyone know the wildcards??

Does anyone know anything about the potential council strike in Stockholm, that may put the meeting in jeopardy ?

Someone eluded to the fact on a mail list, don't know if there is any fact there or just another rumour.

Its a fact that its a rumour :clown

Sorry I watched too much Yes Minister as a kid.

Apparently it is a very real threat because of their regulations over there but strikes are so unusual there that they are not sure how it is going to pan out. I believe they are hoping that some sort of agreement will be reached before then

Does anyone know the wildcards??

Zorro & PK

Guest wes lake

They were supposed to start the track Yesterday but has been held up until Wed after talks, the problem should be resolved HOPEFULLY :?

Hi all! The GP will be at Sweden on 31 of may. Question is where? If the strikes is still on at monday 26 of may it will be on another track and stadium then Stockholm. Eskilstuna and Avesta is the hottest prospect in the moment. COME ON YOU ESKILSTUNA!

Thanks for letting us know Zetters. I'm glad it is going to go ahead

Do the alternative venues have the same capacity as Stockholm or could there be problems if they have to be used with more tickets sold than the stadiums can hold?

How far away are they from Stockholm too (sorry my Geography is non existant). Will there be problems with riders and spectators having to try and find alternative accomodation at short notice?

Guest Jumppe

Hi,

According to Swedish sources and Swedish TV 2 text television,

Stockholm GP is canceled. According to same sources it is not moved

to other tracks.

Markku

:-(

Taken from the SGP web site

22-05-03

FIM MERIDIAN LIFTS SWEDISH SPEEDWAY GRAND PRIX ANNOUNCEMENT

Due to domestic strike action in Sweden, a decision over whether or not the FIM Meridian Lifts Swedish Speedway Grand Prix will be held at the Olympic Stadium, Stockholm, will be made early next week.

An alternative venue in Avesta has been provisionally booked for the weekend and will be the host of this year’s Grand Prix if strike action continues into next week.

Commenting on the situation, Rolf Sundberg, Secretary General, SVEMO, the local organising promoter said: “Admittedly this is not an ideal situation for everyone involved in the staging of the event. We do have contingency plans in place to hold the GP at Avesta should the strike action fail to be averted.

“In the meantime, we ask supporters who have already purchased tickets for the event to keep hold of their tickets until a decision has been made. If the event has to be moved we will give fans a choice of replacement tickets or a full refund.”

John Postlethwaite, Chief Executive, Benfield Sports International, rights holders of the FIM Speedway Grand Prix Series said:

“The one definite fact is that there will be a Swedish Grand Prix on 31 May. I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Swedish media for their support of our case to stage the Grand Prix at the Olympic Stadium. The Grand Prix Series, which is broadcast to over 100 countries worldwide, attracts fans from all over the world to visit Stockholm, and it would be a real shame for the city if the event was not held in the historic stadium a week on Saturday.”

FIM Race Director, Ole Olsen, commented: “The only restricting factor in terms of making an early decision is the laying down of the racing track at the stadium. We will leave this to the very last possible moment in order to maximise our chances of staging the event in Stockholm.”

This appears on the SVEMO site- It looks like a Monday morning decision to me, but then my Swedish is very weak. Can anyone translate, please?

VM deltävlingen kommer att köras

Huvudspåret är att tävlingen genomförs på Stockholm Stadion. Det förutsätter dock att arbetskonflikten mellan Kommunförbundet och Kommunalarbetarförbundet är löst senast måndag morgon den 26:e.

Om inte konflikten är löst flyttas tävlingen till Avesta, Brovallen

The Gp will be run in Sweden. The plan is still Stockholm Stadium but it is all depending on if the council strike is solved on monday 26th. If not, it will be run in Avesta,Brohallen. 164km from Stockholm.

If it does take place in Avesta then Tricky's just secured another 25 points. It's his home town.

It could turn out with a top three of Rickardsson, Adams, Zetterstrom. All of whom ride for Masarna.

And could we please throw in Lukas Dryml at 4 just for good measure :lol:

I'm sure Ales would like to be with him too ....

Bye Ales