Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Graham

World Games Speedway 1985

As a child I can remember coming in from school and just catching the end of this on Channel 4. It was unusual to see Speedway on daytime telly (and still is).

It seemed a rather strange event and obviously the World Games (which featured non-0lympic sports) didn't really catch on.

I'm quite curious about this and wondered if any of you had details or memories of this meeting.

Cheers,

Graham.

Yes, I remember seeing it but can't remember much about the actual event. Wasn't it a best pairs won by the Ipswich pair of Donkey and John Cook? Which was a bit strange for a World Games as it was a club event and won by an Englishman and an American riding together.

I remember Grachan posted a clip of a good race between Alan Grahame and Cowboy Cook on here some time ago.

The meeting was held at Wimbledon.

Edited by frigbo

I did indeed. I have the meeting on video. I can do you a copy if you like Graham.

i was at the meeting ... remember being in the pits by the first aid room while Steve Ryder was interviewing all the riders

at the time it was just really another meeting as the World Games meant nothing ... spose i feel the same now

I was there as well.Funny, was just thinking about it the other day because the opening ceremony was on t.v as it is in Germany at the moment.No speedway involved though. :(

Agree with Steve though.The meeting wasn't a big deal even though there were some great riders there.They weren't even representing countries if i remember right.Wasn't the main part of the games held in Barnet?

Edited by iris123

With the Olympics on atm and with Speedway going to be back in the World Games in Wroclaw next year (2017) I wondered if anyone did have any more details of that meeting held at Wimbledon Speedway as part of the WGs when hosted in London in 1985?

With the Olympics on atm and with Speedway going to be back in the World Games in Wroclaw next year (2017) I wondered if anyone did have any more details of that meeting held at Wimbledon Speedway as part of the WGs when hosted in London in 1985?

It's on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED3fgjEkaOo

• Like 1

I went to the meeting in 1985, it attracted a decent crowd considering the dons had dropped Down to the NL. I remember the programme was awful, a large brochure covering all of the sports plus a basic race card insert.