British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
raymondbudd

Speedway Down Under

I'm moving from London to Melbourne next Feb and wondered what options are available to me re: speedway. Is there league racing of any sort or is it open meetings, In addition is there any speedway on TV over there.

Finally I'm also a soccer fan and wondered if any UK soccer was covered over there.

Cheers,

Raymond

Guest Sir Lunchalot

I live in Melbourne and I'm afraid your speedway options will be more limited than you are used to in the UK.

There is no league racing operating in Australia, the distances involved are too great. The nearest track to Melbourne is at Broadford which is about 45 minutes north of Melbourne by car. The other track I go to is Undera which is about two hours away. There is generally a meeting at both tracks about once a month. The meetings are usually two classes of speedway solos (A & B) with sidecars as well. Sometimes two classes of sidecars (250cc & 1000cc) depending on the entries. The other main track in Victoria is at Mildura which is six hours north west of Melbourne by car. They are also a once a month track but they do have a winter series of sorts. I have also been to "one off" Longtrack meetings at Bendigo and Traralgon which are both about two hours from Melbourne.

The season starts in about November and runs till about April. The quality of the fields is largely determined by who is back from the UK and who wants to ride. The likes of Kevin Doolan and Travis McGowan often ride but its rare to see the big boys (eg Crump, Lyons, Sullivan, Adams) on a bike out here (sadly) unless its the Australian titles and even then they don't all compete. Having said that the racing is sometimes better when the big boys don't ride as they tend to clear out and head off into the distance out in front. There is a good class of "second tier" local riders (if I can call them that without sounding rude) from which the likes of Matt Wethers, Joel Parsons and Cam Woodward come from and their racing is often quite close.

The best local website is http://www.speedwaymotorcycles.au.com/ but the guy who runs it is rather busy with other commitments so it's not always super up to date but he does a great job with the resources he has available.

Speedway on TV is limited to the Channel 4 hour highlights of the GP's which we get about a week after each GP. When there used to be two pay TV stations doing sport we used to get the GP's live and the EL coverage from Sky (oh happy days) but alas no more. We live in hope though.

As for British soccer one of the free to air TV stations runs the weekly hour long highlights package but if you want direct coverage the local pay TV (Fox) does direct coverage of both the Premier League and European League. On some weekends during the season just gone there were 4 live matches on the same weekend from the UK. It always seems to involve one of Arsenal, Chelsea, Leeds or Man United though.

If you need more email me and I'll answer your questions as best I can.

Then there's allways that nice 8-9 hour drive to Adelaide so you can go to Gillman. On the way stop in at Marty's Cafe for a free coffee at Tailem Bend :D

News from Gillman for this coming season is that they should have their permanent lighting up & will be running every 2 weeks during the season, which is great news for speedway in South Australia.

Cheers Mark

Marty's Cafe for a free coffee at Tailem Bend :D

"Free" did someone mention my favourite word here ;) Is there a "Free" return flight available as well :D

Sorry Shazz, for the free return flight, the coffee costs $2000. But for you I'll chuck in a free Pizza :D

But for you I'll chuck in a free Pizza

don't do it Marty... i seen her... she's had enough, and all the pies :evil: ;)

But for you I'll chuck in a free Pizza

don't do it Marty... i seen her... she's had enough, and all the pies :evil: ;)

I do a mean lettuce sandwich :)

Guest Sir Lunchalot

Hmmm ... a free coffee at Tailem Bend .. it's nearly worth driving instead of flying next season.

Don't worry Marty, at some stage next year we WILL catch up at Gillman, even if it means me looking out for someone wearing daggy shorts and a big floppy hat with clouds of smoke coming out from beneath it and asking Bryn to introduce us. :D

I'm looking forward to next season, I very much enjoyed my trip to SA last year and now I know my way around a bit better it will be that much easier. If the racing is of the same standard as last year I will be well pleased.

i seen her... she's had enough, and all the pies :evil: ;)

And who asked you to chime in Honey! I think pot/kettle here m8 I'm not the one whose weight has increased over the last 16 years :!: Touché (again!!! ;) )

Hmmm ... a free coffee at Tailem Bend .. it's nearly worth driving instead of flying next season.

You take the plane Lunchy, I'll bring the coffee :D

Was getting allready to take Sam up to Mildura at 6.30 tomorrow morning for their Winter Series race & practice day, but just got a call that its off!!

Too Wet, sounds like the track isn't too bad, it's just that you can't get to it.