British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ross

Help ! Back Issues Needed

Hiya, hope anyone can help here, i`m looking to get hold of all the back issues of the magazine for my dad!! if anyone can help then pls get in touch

cheers

Guest speedyguy
Hiya, hope anyone can help here, i`m looking to get hold of all the back issues of the magazine for my dad!! if anyone can help then pls get in touch

cheers

Sorry - cannot help with any issues. I have the lot but they 'are priceless." Were you a 1947 Wigan fan. I remember a few names off-hand Percy Brine (older brother of Wimbleon's Cyril) and Dick Geary who was their brother-in-law. Also in the second-half sometimes were Stan Bradbury, Ron Hart (Oliver Hart's brother) and Jack Winstanley. In 1948 the team moved on to Fleetwood.

I think Ross is only young so I doubt if he will have heard of any of the riders you mention. Just a shame I remember all of them. :P

Incidentally Jack Winstanley was at a recent Leicester reunion and was the oldest rider there. I hope he manages to come down again on September 20th for the next one when John Boulger will be the star guest.

Edited by Gemini

Guest speedyguy
I think Ross is only young  so I doubt if he will have heard of any of the riders you mention.  Just a shame I remember all of them.  :P

Incidentally Jack Winstanley was at a recent Leicester reunion and was the oldest rider there.  I hope he manages to come down again on September 20th for the next one when John Boulger will be the star guest.

Jack Winstanley loves the sport. I guess he must be about 80 years old now. I first saw a photo of him in a 1947 'Speedway Gazette' when he was starting at Poolstock Stadium, Wigan.

Jack was also at Newcastle's 75th Anniversary riders get together earlier in the year at Brough. Despite his age, the 'Chorley Pig Farmer' was still instantly recognisable. It was nice to meet him again as he was a good steady rider for us in the early 60's with his armchair style. :D

:blink::blink:

Sorry - cannot help with any issues. I have the lot but they  'are priceless." Were you a 1947 Wigan fan. I remember a few names off-hand Percy Brine (older brother of Wimbleon's Cyril) and Dick Geary who was their brother-in-law. Also in the second-half sometimes were Stan Bradbury, Ron Hart (Oliver Hart's brother) and Jack Winstanley. In 1948 the team moved on to Fleetwood.

Hey Speedy,

Thanks for the names. Having been a Manchester based supporter since 1946, those names bring back a few happy memories of the period.

Enjoy your speedway next season again, my friend. It will be my diamond jubilee as a supporter. There aren't many of us very senior enthusiasts around [at least not at Belle Vue]. We are like a vintage wine - not sure about the improving with age business though!

Ron.

Nice to know Jack Winstanley is still around. I was born in 1961, a year after the last Wigan speedway closed. But my Dad went to Poolstock as a boy in 1947, rode in 2nd halves as a 17-year-old at Woodhouse Lande in '52 and helped with work for the reopening of Poolstock in '60. He (John Rylance) and his brother Keith also rode in '60 at Wigan and he raced at Belle Vue, Liverpool, Stoke etc at times. I'll pass along news of Jack Winstanley, who he remembers.

Gemini !! you are correct, i`m only 26 . They are for my Dad, he loves all the old day stuff. My memories only go as far as Ole Olsen in his last season.