British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheStartTart

"You Make Us Proud"

Rabbit ..... Shazzybird sings the National Anthem  :approve:  Got it on tape from Cardiff 2002 to prove it  :lol:

Yeah, but like me you were probably intoxicated!! :P

great effort from all 5 - perhaps all this talk of nobody decent ready to step up can be put behind.

steady,harris,howe,kennett - all riders that would have done us proud 2day.

great effort from the youngsters!

"Just a reminder that they are Team GB......yes GB. Maybe someone should remind Scott Nicholls and Floppy that its GB.................not England "

Chris

Does it really matter...we all know what they meant......bit like Oxford Silver Machine or Oxford Cheetahs....Both the same team just some people cant get used to calling them Silver Machine

Come on cheer up...we are through

jaybea

Firstly it's Team GB and not England (our Welsh and Scottish compatriots are able to ride in this team if selected remember) and secondly half of them looked so damn nervous at the start I  expect the last thing on their mind was singing the National Anthem. And let's face it - the crowds at speedway hardly belt it out either do they?!!!

Still, if that's the most you can find to moan about it can't have been that bad...  :rolleyes:

Read my post again, Rabbit, and you will see that I did not refer to the England team but to the English lads. That is a correct reference as there was not a Welshman or a Scot in the team in which the English rode.

Could I be right in thinking you are being a tad racist in that you did not mention the male residents of Northern Ireland. They are as British as I am and, possibly as you are. This being so they too are entitled to for Britain!

I jest!

Glad you added the jest part Bert...or you might have incurred my wrath. And that believe me, ain't a pretty sight! ;)

And my post you quoted wasn't directly aimed at you btw.... :lol:

Firstly it's Team GB and not England (our Welsh and Scottish compatriots are able to ride in this team if selected remember) and secondly half of them looked so damn nervous at the start I  expect the last thing on their mind was singing the National Anthem. And let's face it - the crowds at speedway hardly belt it out either do they?!!!

Still, if that's the most you can find to moan about it can't have been that bad...  :rolleyes:

But since there's not a Scot or Welshman in sight, what virtue is there in calling it Team GB? That's the pot calling the Sospan Bach! :lol::lol:

The word of the SKY commentators were quite clear, you make us proud, well actually Team GB you make me pretty irate, not one of you attempted to sing the national anthem.  It has nothing to do with being royalist.

Why save thge Queen? and why should "God" whatever that is, do the saving? It's a totally stupid National Anthem and when Land of Hope and Glory was being belted out, that made people take more notice and is a much better anthem.

Does anyone care about the queen and how many people are religious these days?

Dont matter SCB, its my national anthem and its the one to be proud of :approve::D

The word of the SKY commentators were quite clear, you make us proud, well actually Team GB you make me pretty irate, not one of you attempted to sing the national anthem.  It has nothing to do with being royalist.

Congrats to the team but if you go on to win at Wroclaw then take a leaf out of Tony Rickardsson’s book and pledge your allegiance to your country by singing it’s national anthem.  Or are you ashamed to be British???????

RANT over

TST

The reason why they probably didn't sing the National Anthem is because when they do so, Sky TV has a penchant for either sticking their cameras up the riders noses or down their throats.

This is done in order to irritate and humiliate in the hope that a rider might stumble over the words, sing a few flat notes and generally make themselves look foolish. Most likely in the same way they were expected to make themselves look foolish on the track in front of the mighty Danes.

Guest Sir Lunchalot

I have to say singing should be a personal choice. I am one of the unfortunate people who can't sing to save himself, in fact I was so bad in music class in Secondary school I was politely told by the music teacher I was excused from singing for my entire time at school !!

I therefore am extremely self conscious about it and avoid singing (other than in the shower) at all costs. If you put me in an Oz race jacket and played me the Oz national anthem and I would be totally silent but proud as hell on the inside. Let those that want to sing do but please don't try to convince me to sing if I feel uncomfortable doing so.

.... and what's in a name, call it GB or call it England .. would different riders have been selected if the name was different ?

(And as a reader of the yahoo board and recognising a post from there could it be the yahoo board moderator who has ventured over to join our humble forum who started this topic ?)

they just rode their nuts off for us

They just rode their balls off

:blink: Crikey!! Err well done girls. :blink::unsure:

The reason why they probably didn't sing the National Anthem is because when they do so, Sky TV has a penchant for either sticking their cameras up the riders noses or down their throats. This is done in order to irritate and humiliate in the hope that a rider might stumble over the words, sing a few flat notes and generally make themselves look foolish. Most likely in the same way they were expected to make themselves look foolish on the track in front of the mighty Danes.

Why is it necessary to sing the National Anthem? Even taking notice of it would be a start. Time was a few years ago when every club played GSTQ before the meeting started, and everyone would stand. That hasn't happened at any meeting I've attended in years - people seem to regard it as an irritation, not a source of national pride.

Biased commentary? It was David Norris in there. Surely you have to expect it, seeing as he is very patriotic and was potentially riding for Team GB. :unsure:

And anyway, I liked the biased commentary. You think the Danish commentary, or the Czech commentary, or the Russian commentary wasn't biased? Every country would send out it's commentators to get the people back home involved and cheering on their home country. I for one was happy with Floppy and Pearson. At least it wasn't Millard. :wink:

I thought Floppy was excellent in the commentary box. Also Sir Kelv and Johno they were just as funny, spooky though think I must be in tune with Sir Kelv and Floopy everytime I said something they said the same. Is there a future within speedway for me I wonder :rolleyes::lol:

my best commentator is sam ermolenko and david norriss, oh and johno!, they should have the fan zone again thats better still!