British Speedway Forum

We all know that Rune will ride for Poland in round two of the WC in Sweden later tonight, but the question is.. If he had a British passport, would you want him included in the GB national side?

My personal opinion is absolutely no way - He may be a good rider but he certainly wouldnt be a genuine Team GB rider just like i dont feel he should be riding for Poland.

Anyway, what do you think?

No thanks.

I wouldn't want Crumpy either (even if I do like him). If we're not good enough for them to start their international career with, we don't want them IMO.

Even so, they'd have to be proper Brits, not fake ones like Holta is a fake Pole. At least if Crumpy had never rode for Australia and rode for us, he'd be British because of Birth, how is Holta Polish?

Holta shouldn't be riding for Poland, simple as that. He is not Polish whether he has a Polish passport or not. He could think of changing his name to 'Zola Budowski'.

The question that needs to be asked is 'why is Poland, where the sport is at it's most popular, in the eyes of the people, with so many home born riders available, in need of Holta in the first place?

MY seedy mind thought this would have something to do with your chant in Sweden Mr. Davis

"Rune Holta takes it up the...." :P

Posted by beesboybert not SullyRox

Edited by SullyRox

Rune Holta in the Polish Team - weird. He's a good rider, he's strenghtening our team, he does have a Polish nationality but I don't think about him as a Pole at all. Maybe I should, I don't know his reasons for getting a Polish passport but if it's only money and sport then it's just not fair.

I want to support Poland, like all faithful fans do but I'm not sure if I'm gonna cheer for him. For me it seems we have only four riders in a team and Holta is like something extra, just like you buy four bottles of coke and get five gratis :blink: maybe it's weird but that's exactly the way I feel about him.

Didnt Marvyn Cox ride on a German Licence,what meetings did he ride in -he didnt seem to get any complaints at the time.

The question that needs to be asked is 'why is Poland, where the sport is at it's most popular, in the eyes of the people, with so many home born riders available, in need of Holta in the first place?

Also, why in Poland where the sport is so popular are they letting Rune ride for Poland despite him having a Polish passport?

Just because he has a Polish passport it doesnt mean he has to be included in the Polish side!

MY seedy mind thought this would have something to do with your chant in Sweden Mr. Davis

"Rune Holta takes it up the...."  :P

My chant?! Im pretty sure it started somewhere else and we joined in :P:D

I think he should be given a chance to ride for some international team and am glad that Poland have given him the opportunity, as Norway dont exactly have a team lol.

IMO he is a really good rider but i dont think i would want him in the GB squad purely because i think we have better riders.

I remember an English rider taking out a licence in another country, and he won their national final! :) Was it Cox? not sure, but, someone will know! won't they?

Just because he has a Polish passport it doesnt mean he has to be included in the Polish side!

I dont know if its a Polish Passport he has or not but the reason he is riding for them is he is riding on a Polish License.

I dont know if its a Polish Passport he has or not but the reason he is riding for them is he is riding on a Polish License.

Surely he will be riding on a speedway bike !!!!!

Marvyn Cox was 'German' champion, he also wore the German flag in a World Final!

This dodgy 'dual nationality' really does make sport look daft, and it's not just speedway either. There have been numerous footballers over the years who have played friendlies or junior levels for one nation and full competitive internationals for another.

It's daft, Play/ride for where you or your parents were born and be done with it, although ideally it would be nation of birth only, but that would scupper riders like Mark Loram as Malta haven't got much of a speedway team!

I would be happy to judge each case on it's own merits. For e.g. if a rider were to live here for years, re-locate to Britain, and decided to live here for the rest of their lives, they could take British Citizenship. Such a rider could then be considered as British as you or I. If he'd ridden once for Australia (for e.g.) when he was 18 that may not be particularly relevant by now. He could have been a Brit for 10 years, and improved to the point that he would be a good addition to the squad. This could be considered a genuine change of nationality.

Talking about Holta specifically I have to say that he, and the Poles, have pulled a fast one. He's a good rider, and it's great that we'll all get to see him ride at the highest level, but...

Rider/players in other sports changing just to get into a competitive team is not on in my opinion.

Oh, and Matt I was rather concerned by the thread title too. :P

If he has only got a Polish licence, how come he can ride for Poland, when a certain Mr Ferjan who had a Hungarian licence could not ride for Hungary as he did not have a Hungarian Passport.