British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Issue 10

Watch out for the frankest interview ever given by Michael Lee in issue 10 of Backtrack (copies to be mailed out to subscribers next Tuesday)...

In a whopping 10-page exclusive, Lee talks candidly about his dramatic fall from grace . . . his descent into drugs...use of cocaine...three prison terms (the last for 18 months)...the people he blames for his speedway problems...falling out with his dad (and making up again)...what he's up to in his garden...and how he says finding true love has changed him...and much, much more from 'Mike the Bike'.

Also featured in the next issue...

EGON MULLER - brand new 4-page exclusive with the multi-talented '83 World Champ who complains that he never got the respect he deserved for winning at Norden, and why he liked 'dressing up' in women's clothes!

ARNIE HALEY - a great Yorkshire character who, before his sad death, admitted he probably stayed too long at Sheffield.

PIP LAMB - the former Oxford youngster on why he feels the hospital was to blame for his disability sustained in 1979.

HACKNEY REUNION - 4 page special from the recent bash at Paradise Park, inc plenty of pics and mini interviews with Thommo, Thomsen, Plech, Lovaas, Jansson, McNeil, Dave Mort, Petersen.

MALCOLM BROWN - former Leicester favourite talking on his recent visit.

JOHN BERRY'S PICK - JB chooses his track-by-track 'No.1s' from the Backtrack era of 1970-90. See how many you agree with...

SIMON WIGG - news of a great, new book on the former World No.2, who sadly died five years ago. Endorsed and encouraged by Simon's family, it contains Wiggy's own words from a previously unpublished interview, plus stacks of personal tributes from those who knew him best - including heart-rending accounts from close family and friends - and more than 200 photos of Wiggy throughout his illustrious career. This will be published by ourselves at Retro Speedway, very reasonably priced at £14.99, and in the same successful and value-for-money format as our Confessions of a Speedway Promoter book by JB. Details of how to order can be found in the new issue.

GARY FRANKUM – the 'world's most popular junior', who rode for a number of tracks between 1987 and '91, reveals his battle to beat the illness, ME.

READING 38, SWINDON 40 - We review this stormy encounter from Smallmead in 1980, when Steve Gresham and Barry Briggs came to blows.

Plus honourable mentions (and new pics of) Tiger Beech (Rayleigh) and Rob Jackson (Crewe).

Have you subscribed yet? It costs only £16 a year (6 issues) in the UK and with rain again playing havoc with the fixtures, be sure not to miss a copy by having it mailed direct to your door...

Just visit: http://www.retro-speedway.com

Edited by tmc

My son,Red Ott Airey Proch,never forgave me for naming him after some speedway riders :o:P

Guest Zootime

Just thought I'd like to say how much I look forward to each issue of Backtrack, its a cracking read for this 45 year old, every article invokes memories of one sort or another. It may not be the main subject of the piece, can be the mention of a particular rider or track, sometimes its just trivia that springs to mind ie colours of leathers or bikes. Either way its a welcome arrival through the door.

One or two riders who I'd like to see featured at some point, would be Chris Pusey(including a little about Geoff), Soren Sjosten, Wilkie, obviously I grew up watching a great side at the best track/stadium around imo.

A feature on Rochdale would be nice also.

Anyway, roll on Wednesday, Michael Lee & Arnie Haley will do for starters.

Thanks again for catering for the needs of a fella who was at Hyde Road the night PC & Michanek had "that race", never forget it, not just the race, the atmosphere was unbelievable, I was 13, it was a Weds night, school night, I think. My Dad and me always sat in the same place, think it was L block, just entering the pit bend (3rd turn as they say nowadays), I never realised at the time but I was my Dads ticket out of the house every Satuday night, ie if he took "the lad" my Mum wouldnt give him as much grief. I'm glad he took me rather than my 3 siblings, it wasnt favouritism though, I was the only one to show interest in going. I'm glad because although I drifted away to football, Maine Road to be precise, I never stopped reading my Dads Star News each week and therefore kept up to date with matters.

I still venture along to Kirky Lane or Loomer Rd occasionally and usually enjoy the meetings, not quite the same anymore though, no disrespect to anyone intended.

Cheers again for the mag

regards

Mike

My Backtrack arrived this morning, I thoroughly enjoyed reading Michael's interview, thanks :approve: Must get some footage of him racing at Lynn, rekindle the memory bank :)

Got my copy today and the interview with Mike the bike was brill.

Thanks for a super mag.

/ Mikael

Excellent as usual. One word though to Tony Mc though - Quote from Page 7 'By 1985, London no longer even had a speedway venue'!

Surely the Kestrels weren't so bad that you deleted them from memory!!!! ;)

Excellent as usual. One word though to Tony Mc though - Quote from Page 7 'By 1985, London no longer even had a speedway venue'!

Surely the Kestrels weren't so bad that you deleted them from memory!!!!  ;)

Good point, and of course apologies to all Kestrels followers. I was never a fan of NL racing at Waterden Road, though I respect the efforts and achievements of the management and riders who kept speedway at Waterden Road alive after Len Silver pulled out.

What I meant to say was that, after the Hawks folded and Wimbledon had closed, London no longer had a SENIOR LEAGUE venue by 1985.

That is until Hackney rejoined the BL in 1987 and speedway returned to Plough Lane.

The Michael Lee feature was a real eye opener but nice to read the story behind it from the man himself well done all at Backtrack on an excellent issue again xx

Another good issue, although I have issues with Mike Lee & his "Im not a criminal" stance...............right ho!! :rolleyes:

The man is clearly in denial :blink:

But thats not to detract from the magazine........

Egon Muller, when he's on about the lack of Germans, he did not mention Martin Smolinski who has quietly gone about his business for the Bees this year & has turned into a excellent solid scoring reserve in his first proper season of full time racing..........

Very strange from old Egon, has Smolly upset him?

Seems to me Martin has an exciting future ahead of him :approve:

HG,

I doubt if Smoli has upset Egon.I don't know how far Egon travels,but if he stays mainly here in the north then he see's a different Martin to what the fans in Bavaria see.The country is pretty well divided north/south for speedway and the times i have seen Martin here,he doesn't dominate like he does in the south.Also Egon naturally has the self belief of a champion and probably can't see anyone following in his footsteps.The new bunch of youngsters are probably the best for a long time,but whether there is a superstar among them remains to be seen.

Good point, and of course apologies to all Kestrels followers. I was never a fan of NL racing at Waterden Road, though I respect the efforts and achievements of the management and riders who kept speedway at Waterden Road alive after Len Silver pulled out.

What I meant to say was that, after the Hawks folded and Wimbledon had closed, London no longer had a SENIOR LEAGUE venue by 1985.

That is until Hackney rejoined the BL in 1987 and speedway returned to Plough Lane.

I would like to add my congratulations to everyone else's.Backtrack is an excellent read and this issue certainly keeps up its very high standard.

Just one point of clarification on your response above though, Tony. Wimbledon were also open in 1985, though not in the SENIOR LEAGUE. They closed in 1991, the same year as Hackney.

HG,

I doubt if Smoli has upset Egon.I don't know how far Egon travels,but if he stays mainly here in the north then he see's a different Martin to what the fans in Bavaria see.The country is pretty well divided north/south for speedway and the times i have seen Martin here,he doesn't dominate like he does in the south.Also Egon naturally has the self belief of a champion and probably can't see anyone following in his footsteps.The new bunch of youngsters are probably the best for a long time,but whether there is a superstar among them remains to be seen.

Am I right in thinking the Northerners think the Bavarians are all a bit inbred, seem to recall from my visits to Neuckenik(?) from my army days in Herford that this was the case.

ps, great place to watch speedway was Nueckenik, on a warm summers day, on the banking with a beer :approve:

Am I right in thinking the Northerners think the Bavarians are all a bit inbred, seem to recall from my visits to Neuckenik(?) from my army days in Herford that this was the case.

ps, great place to watch speedway was Nueckenik, on a warm summers day, on the banking with a beer :approve:

Think your right in assuming there is a bit of a North/South rivalry,and that Bavarians consider themselves somewhat different to the rest of the country.I haven't been to Neuenknick(heard the track wasn't too good and the red stuff is hard to get out of your skin/clothes),but its hard to beat a german track on a warm summers day with german beer :P

That has got to be the longest post EVER on the forum!!!!!! :blink:

Edited by shazzybird