British Speedway Forum
Scarface

2006 - Rules ?

So with another season coming to an end in a few weeks time, what changes will there be to the rules for next season ?

With a few teams struggling financially, will there be a reduction in the points limit ?

Will the T/R rule remain the same ?

What would people like to see change ?

Personally, i think the 45 points limit is about right, and that if it is lowered it would lower the standard of pl racing.

So with another season coming to an end in a few weeks time, what changes will there be to the rules for next season ?

With a few teams struggling financially, will there be a reduction in the points limit ?

Will the T/R rule remain the same ?

What would people like to see change ?

Personally, i think the 45 points limit is about right, and that if it is lowered it would lower the standard of pl racing.

The abolition of the circus and the return of the sport of speedway!

This would be achieved, in my opinion, by the abolition of the Joker, Tactical Rides, Tactical Substitutes, double points and [of course] the abolition of the play-off system.

I realise that this may result in fewer matches but there would be compensation in quality would supercede quantity.

Problem is that the BSPA will have a stack of occasionally conflicting proposals designed to resolve the known issues, some relevant and many not; they will argue the toss and end up with a package which has not been thought through and but will be votied in by consensus.

If they continue to bury their heads in the sand and think 5 minutes ahead, league speedway will have all but died within 5 years under the pressure of rising costs and reducing attendances. |Stark but true! :shock:

I really hope that what they choose to do this year is break the habits of a lifetime, appoint a subcommittee comprising management and speedway experts (eg. ex-riders), and give these people two or three months to conduct a complete review of all current circumstances in UK league speedway, including a vision of what the future will look like with and without change. They must make a programme of recommendations for the short- and long-term (at least 10 years) to propose how league speedway can be made to continue, grow and flourish.

Only then should the BSPA make decisions about where to go next and who should be responsible for its governance and strategic direction.

Problem is that the BSPA will have a stack of occasionally conflicting proposals designed to resolve the known issues, some relevant and many not; they will argue the toss and end up with a package which has not been thought through and but will be votied in by consensus. 

If they continue to bury their heads in the sand and think 5 minutes ahead, league speedway will have all but died within 5 years under the pressure of rising costs and reducing attendances.  |Stark but true!  :shock:

I really hope that what they choose to do this year is break the habits of a lifetime, appoint a subcommittee comprising management and speedway experts (eg. ex-riders), and give these people two or three months to conduct a complete review of all current circumstances in UK league speedway, including a vision of what the future will look like with and without change.  They must make a programme of recommendations for the short- and long-term (at least 10 years) to propose how league speedway can be made to continue, grow and flourish. 

Only then should the BSPA make decisions about where to go next and who should be responsible for its governance and strategic direction.

There is much to commend that approach, Andy, but I fear those who control the destiny of speedway are to entrenched to consider such, to them, radical action.

What woud I like to see? A plan where they agree NOT to change the bloody rule for 5 years. Even if they are stupid. We need consistency. At worst we need slight tweaking.

Obviously, to do that, we need a whole new rule book and someone (a group of people? Riders, fans, managers, promoters, referees, SKY) should be working on this NOW!

Edited by SCB

What woud I like to see?  A plan where they agree NOT to change the bloody rule for 5 years.  Even if they are stupid.  We need consistency.  At worst we need slight tweaking.

Obviously, to do that, we need a whole new rule book and someone (a group of people?  Riders, fans, managers, promoters, referees, SKY) should be working on this NOW!

Instinct tells me that it would be unwise to allow 'fans' any involvement in deciding the rules of the sport.

As to the involvement of the televison company; the fact that they invest a fair amount of cash in speedway does, quite definitely, give them the right to a good measure of involvement. I personally wish this was not the case.

There is much to commend that approach, Andy, but I fear those who control the destiny of speedway are to entrenched to consider such, to them, radical action.

Entrenched? Well, maybe so - all the more reason for their needing a fresh and independent set of eyes to look over the circumstances. This is why business makes extensive use of management consultants! I'll happily do an excellent job for the promoters, if called upon!! :approve::wink:

Instinct tells me that it would be unwise to allow 'fans' any involvement in deciding the rules of the sport.

As to the involvement of the televison company; the fact that they invest a fair amount of cash in speedway does, quite definitely, give them the right to a good measure of involvement.  I personally wish this was not the case.

in the end tho fans will be involved in any decisions because they will decide with there feet by not turning up to meetings because they are fed up with the sport being destroyed by stupid rules such as the 9 point tac rule

As to the involvement of the televison company; the fact that they invest a fair amount of cash in speedway does, quite definitely, give them the right to a good measure of involvement.  I personally wish this was not the case.

Hang on. I make it say an average of 1,500 fans per meeting, at £10 a person is £15,000 per meeting from the fans. ONE EL team is is 18(meetings) X £15,000 and there are 10 teams. In the PL it's 20 (or 21) meetings for 14 teams.

So in PL, PT, EL it's £15,000 X 10 X 18 and £15,000 X 14 X 20. TOTALS = 2.7 million for the EL and 4.2 million for the PL fans. TOTAL = £6.9 million. Thats not including play-offs, KoC, PT later rounds or Craven Sheild either. Do Sky pay 6.9+ million pounds per season? I doubt it. So the fans pay more so if by your reasoning, Sky give a bit of cash they deserve a say, the fans deserve an even bigger say.

Edited by SCB

1500 fans!!! If Glasgow had that, we'd be looking to run EL never mind PL!!!!!We rarely top 800 adults!!!

You have 800, Newport have 400, Workington have 2000, Poole have 2,500. Is an average of 1425 :P I did say AVERAGE.

I guess I could go to every track and count the exact number of people, count there wallets and purses as they enter the stadium and count them again as they exit and see exactly how much people spend at spedway. Is it only £10 to get into Glasgow, or a little more? Don't you have challenege meetings too? What about a track shop where a little more money is spent?

in the end tho fans will be involved in any decisions because they will decide with there feet by not turning up to meetings because they are fed up with the sport being destroyed by stupid rules such as the 9 point tac rule

Fans are key stakeholders who have been ignored or certainly taken for granted by the vast majority of promoters in recent years. If our views aren't taken into account you can hardly blame us for voting with our feet and taking our hard-earned cash elsewhere, can you? Fans may not appear very grateful for what you do right, but they're very quick to complain if things aren't right, so it's pretty important for the clubs to respond to constructive criticism (remembering the disdain if not contempt with which we were held by the Perrin regime?)

Most good companies spend a great deal of time and trouble listening to the views of their customers before launching new products or changing existing ones, for the very good reason that the success or failure of the product can have a critical impact on the success or failure of the company. How come speedway clubs haven't cottoned on to this yet? However, rather than adopt tokenism it would be good if the promoters can think hard about how best to achieve effective fan representation so - even if decisions are ultimately taken with a complete disregard to our views.

Hang on.  I make it say an average of 1,500 fans per meeting, at £10 a person is £15,000 per meeting from the fans.  ONE EL team is is 18(meetings) X £15,000 and there are 10 teams.  In the PL it's 20 (or 21) meetings for 14 teams.

So in PL, PT, EL it's £15,000 X 10 X 18 and £15,000 X 14 X 20.  TOTALS = 2.7 million for the EL and 4.2 million for the PL fans.  TOTAL = £6.9 million.  Thats not including play-offs, KoC, PT later rounds or Craven Sheild either.  Do Sky pay 6.9+ million pounds per season?  I doubt it.  So the fans pay more so if by your reasoning, Sky give a bit of cash they deserve a say, the fans deserve an even bigger say.

I did not say that the views of fans should not be taken into account. I stated that, in my opinion, it would be unwise to involve them in drafting the actual rules of the sport.

My apologies if I did not make that clear.

Fair enough, I think a group of fans should be involved. I agree that the promoters would have biggest say, then the riders then the fans/Sky. I'm sure very few would agree with that order :D

Your average promoter would sooner saw off his own leg than give fans any say over the way speedway is run - and therefore his means of earning a living. It won't happen, but as I said in my previous post the promoters do need to take the views of fans as the paying public more seriously into account.

Of course, you could always buy shares in the company running your club...but then again, what are promoters but fans who became shareholders and/or entrepreneurs? They certainly didn't enter speedway to become multi-millionaires (with the possible exception of Stuart Bamforth!) :shock:

Edited by AndyM