British Speedway Forum
Scarface

2006 - Rules ?

The price of speedway parts go's up every season there for pay has to go up same with 10p a mile i dont think that it cost 60p a litter any more so travel must go up to at lest 15p a mile.

Get rid of the tactical ride rule and bring back the old tactical subs when teams are 6 points down would make meetings more interesting, trying to work out who will come in where!!

The price of speedway parts go's up every season there for pay has to go up same with 10p a mile i dont think that it cost 60p a litter any more so travel must go up to at lest 15p a mile.

Ben

how about instead of that the riders are paid mileage in line with what inflation should have boosted it to, as by all accounts the mileage rate has hardly increased in years

but more importantly.......that a radical drive is brought in to standardise machinery to parts at the lower end of the market - there would no longer be the struggle to raise funds for such and such overpriced carbs or forks - racing would be closer - skill would come back into fashion but more importantly the sport's main overhead would be reduced

beware of the TRick - the above situation has already become an important situation - what now happens when the GP riders realise they will have to go down the very expensive route of custom made parts to keep up with Tony - the GP wannabees do the same to be picked as wildcards - theoretically it could eventually filter down into the leagues and create even higher prices for machinery which riders already can't afford....paid by promoters who can't afford the wages

if a sensible approach is given to the finances in the sport at a time when clubs are apparently in trouble I wouldn't care if a team got quadruple points for a TR :blink:

About travelling expenses. I get none for my job, so why shoudl a speedway rider? Surely, if you increase the travelling expenses, the promoters will just pay a little less in points money/guarentees?

Plus, can you really see the promoters agreeing to give MORE money to the riders?

About travelling expenses.  I get none for my job, so why shoudl a speedway rider?  Surely, if you increase the travelling expenses, the promoters will just pay a little less in points money/guarentees?

You would if you had a job that required you to travel the mileages that Speedway riders do. The company I work for pay 40p for a car and that is considered a bit tight by some of our staff.

Vince, while I can see that side of things, my points, as I then went onto, was that the expenses come out fo the "wage". It'll just eb swings and roundabouts. If people want, I'm sure the promoters would pay £1.15/mile rather than 15p, but they'll probably just pay the riders a few £/point less to make up for the extra cost. Or add £2 to the entrance fee :P;)

About travelling expenses.  I get none for my job, so why shoudl a speedway rider? 
it's employment law

the reason you don't get any shawn is because your an ordinary commuter

"2. What is ordinary commuting?

"ordinary commuting" is essentially the journey an employee makes between home and a "permanent workplace"."

WOULD LIKE TO SEE IN 2006

NEW FORMAT

Name the riders according to their averages and list them in the programme in order. Should a rider be replaced, the new rider takes up the number according to his average in the team.

Wolves v Ipswich 2005 as example

Mikael Max 1 Piotr Protasiewicz

David Howe 2 Hans Andersen

Steve Johnston 3 Chris Louis

Fredrik Lindgren 4 Kim Jansson

Ronnie Correy 5 Karol Baran

Krzysztof Pecyna 6 Robert Miskowiak

Magnus Karlsson 7 Daniel King

Riders in Red and Green are programmed rides while the team manager must give each of his team a nominated ride (Blue and Yellow) in each half.

Heat 15 is the usual nominated ride.

HT01; Howe ? Protasiewicz ?

HT02; Karlsson ? King ?

HT03; Max ? Andersen ?

HT04; Correy ? Miskowiak ?

HT05; Lindgren ? Louis ?

HT06; Pecyna ? Baran ?

HT07; Johnston ? Jansson ?

HT08; Karlsson ? King ?

HT09; Correy ? Baran ?

HT10; Johnston ? Louis ?

HT11; Pecyna ? Miskowiak ?

HT12; Howe ? Andersen ?

HT13; Max ? Protasiewicz ?

HT14; Lindgren ? Jansson ?

HT15;

TACTICAL BENEFITS

This will bring out the best in tactical moves by a team manager. Does he put a heat leader in with his number 7 or does he put out his number 5 ?

Does he leave his number one till heat 14 to give him the last three heats, thus ensuring a strong finish and possibly a tactical ride in 13 or 14.

Does he give the available inside gates to the lower numbers and leave the top riders with an outside gate, or vica-versa ?

FOREIGN RIDERS

Riders will be bought in on a 5.00 average instead of 4.50 and should a foreign rider have a 4.27 average, he must return on a 5.00 average. If he fails to reach this average after two seasons, he will not be granted a permit for the following season. If they are not good enough, dont let them in ! eg; Kroner, Swist, Smolinski, Baran, Alden, Johansson etc

BANS

Should a rider miss a League match for any reason other than an FIM meeting on the same day or injury, they will be banned for 8 days, thus missing the following weeks home match. Reserves can only be replaced by a number 8 while main body riders can only be replaced by any PL rider or EL reserve riders, averages applicable.

FIXTURES

All A fixtures must be completed by a set date. This is when a month is set by for the KO Cup and then the B fixtures are done by September 15th.

ELRC

Replaced by the British League Riders Championship where each EL team has ONE rider put foward and 6 Premier League riders make up the field from six teams.

Edited by TNT133

There was a call some years ago for teams to be placed in any order a manager wants and for replacements to be made freely - so long as all members of his team ended up with the equivalent number of rides. Don't think it would be popular with fans, who would end up with much more scribbling to do, but I do think we're vastly over-regulated and need to give much more leeway to team managers to operate tactically without the need to find loopholes in the rules, deliberately drop points, manipulate averages etc. etc.

I think that it needs people who are not involved in the promotion of the sport to work out the rules. The present situation is as stupid as the inmates at the scrubs formulating the prison rules based on them having a vested interest.

The rules need to be sorted out properly, right from the bike regulations through to guests, including everything inbetween.

I'm afraid that I don't agree with that at all. The Promoters need some input as they are the ones paying the Riders wages and risking many thousands of pounds in investment in their clubs.

You forget that all rules are made for a reason and you can't say that any Promoter is going to intentionally harm his/her business. The basic rules of the sport have remained fairly consistent for many years and it is a matter of progression that changes and tweaks ocurr before the start of each season.

Not everything works, granted, but people never moan about the positive changes that are made. Promoters aren't daft, and I'm sure that one or two of the changes from this year will be ammended or scrapped for next season.

On the whole, I think that the BSPA and SCB make a pretty good fist of things and if Sky call the shots on various issues then so what!

Speedway isn't perfect but then what sport is? and as Rabbit rightly says....a lot of Promoters etc do read this forum I'm sure, so any constructive comments addressed in a civilised and sensible manner may well be appreciated.

Problem is that the BSPA will have a stack of occasionally conflicting proposals designed to resolve the known issues, some relevant and many not; they will argue the toss and end up with a package which has not been thought through and but will be votied in by consensus. 

If they continue to bury their heads in the sand and think 5 minutes ahead, league speedway will have all but died within 5 years under the pressure of rising costs and reducing attendances.  |Stark but true!  :shock:

I really hope that what they choose to do this year is break the habits of a lifetime, appoint a subcommittee comprising management and speedway experts (eg. ex-riders), and give these people two or three months to conduct a complete review of all current circumstances in UK league speedway, including a vision of what the future will look like with and without change.  They must make a programme of recommendations for the short- and long-term (at least 10 years) to propose how league speedway can be made to continue, grow and flourish. 

Only then should the BSPA make decisions about where to go next and who should be responsible for its governance and strategic direction.

Andy good post but you forgot FANS we are the blood of the support when we cough our £14 each week we deserve to be consulted :approve:

*SwissPosition dons an asbestos suit*

Let's be honest, are the rules *really* the core problem with speedway? I think not!

The problem is this...

Britain is becoming an increasingly "aspirational-middle-class" place. Speedway has a somewhat "pikey" image. There's no getting away from the fact that many (not all, I'm sure we know the ones, if we're honest) teams are forced to operate in conditions which don't sit easily with modern Britain. In short, they're dumps.

Why does this matter? Because what's needed to take speedway forward is good 'ol standard business stuff - more customers, regular customers, predictable income. Think about it...how much does it actually cost you to go to the bulk of home matches in a season? Well, it's a couple of hundred quid per person for entrance, and quite possibly about the same in petrol per car. It's not something you can do when penniless. Add in a couple of away fixtures (take the family on a 300 mile round trip plus entry, that's £100 gone per go) and it's not an especially cheap sport to follow regularly.

Why is it then that we're expecting to attract Britains young, image conscious, disposable-income-endowed, time-rich people to places which (not everywhere...yet again) look like abandoned building sites in which the dogs race? A number of people who've attended with me as newbies been put off by such simple things as being unable to stomach the toilets, and a failure find anything to eat other than fat with a burger garnish (after going straight from work, this *is* a problem)! Yes, it's "poncey", but calling it such doesn't change reality.

It's hard to blame (most...) promoters for focusing on what happens on the track. It is, after all, the good bit. It's the reason they're there in the first place, and the reason we show up week after week to watch. However, just for once, I implore the BSPA to take a long look at their facilities and decide whether it's worth spending a fortune on flying some barely average Swede in week after week, or instead using it on some paint\cleaners\bins\better food van\clearing up their site.

As much as I'd love the Speedway Fairy to wave a magic wand over our stadia and turn them all into clean, professional-looking facilities, it's not going to happen. More can definately be done though. A lot more.