British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Wiggy!-new Book In Tribute To Simon

Somebody close to me got his copy for Xmas, very pleased too his is with it and can't seem to put it down.  Keeps reading out bits to me all the time, so looks like I'll be having a read in due course. :approve:

that would be me then ....

what a good book it is, and as has been mentioned, you get a ride through the whole spectrum of emotions ... from humour to deep sadness.

the book sums up just how dedicated and obsessive Wiggy was towards the sport he loved (grasstrack/longtrack), and how much he put into speedway.

i have no doubt, had Wiggy been alive now, he would have been able to offer so much to both tv and magazines and pushed and promoted the sport in such a way that we have yet to see.

the bloke was a star.

oh, and one of my pictures is in the book!

that would be me then ....

what a good book it is, and as has been mentioned, you get a ride through the whole spectrum of emotions ... from humour to deep sadness.

the book sums up just how dedicated and obsessive Wiggy was towards the sport he loved (grasstrack/longtrack), and how much he put into speedway.

i have no doubt, had Wiggy been alive now, he would have been able to offer so much to both tv and magazines and pushed and promoted the sport in such a way that we have yet to see.

the bloke was a star.

oh, and one of my pictures is in the book!

spot on Steve.. Wiggy was everything right about speedway, and if he was still alive, quite sure he would have been at the fore front of bringing the sport up.. i didnt know him, but always admired him. great self promoter, rider and a top flight person..

Edited by sandman

I have to say that I still havent finished the book that I got for Christmas. I was all hyped up about it, read the Wiggy and the family part of it almost all at once, but after the first time I finished reading the friends part, I havent picked up on it since...

Wiggy must have been fantastic, no doubt, but I was a bit disappointed about the book... :sad:

I have to say that I still havent finished the book that I got for Christmas. I was all hyped up about it, read the Wiggy and the family part of it almost all at once, but after the first time I finished reading the friends part, I havent picked up on it since...

Wiggy must have been fantastic, no doubt, but I was a bit disappointed about the book... :sad:

Said much the same on another thread.The first bit was good.Second half of the book was very much a filler.I would rather have had full statistics for Simons career than all those interviews

Said much the same on another thread.The first bit was good.Second half of the book was very much a filler.I would rather have had full statistics for Simons career than all those interviews

Arrrggggh!

Before anyone reminds me, everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, but the last two comments leave me dumbfounded and a bit puzzled as to what exactly speedway fans expect from a book.

Iris, are you honestly saying that you'd rather see page after page of boring statistics than read the tributes of some 60 people from the world of speedway, all with something interesting and unique to say about Wiggy! I can accept constructive criticism, but replacing honest words and good copy - all 100-odd pages of it - with stats is taking the biscuit.

This has already been recognised as one of, if not the best, speedway books EVER produced, and thankfully your negative comments seem to be in the very small minority.

Don't take our word for it. Speedway Star Editor Richard Clark knows a good read when he sees it. Here's an extract from his review:

"Full credit to Gareth for bringing him back into our lives so vividly, wisely letting Wiggy do the talking!

But there's much, much more to this book, too.

Brother Julian's compelling foreword and widow Charlie's heartbreaking testimony are moving, frank and, strangely, uplifting. As is the effect of the countless tributes that also help fill these pages.

Tributes from so, so many people genuinely touched by this man Wiggy. Ivan Mauger might not strike you as the most emotional of men. Read his thoughts on Wiggy and judge the six-times World Champion anew. Hans Nielsen, a machine? Read on, read on.

The measure of the man is that the tributes resemble a who¹s who of track racing.

This is a unique speedway book about a unique speedway person.

Gareth and Retro Speedway's Tony McDonald have done the Big Man proud.

Do yourself a favour. This Christmas, spend some getting to know Wiggy."

Finally, thanks to all those who took the trouble to post their positive reactions. Please keep 'em coming...

I'll get back in the pram now...

Edited by tmc

On the "other" Wiggy thread wherever that was.Think in speedway general discussions i did go into a bit more detail.I did in fact say that Julian's and Charlie's as well as Simons daughters contributions were very moving,but i did find that section maybe 30-40% to long.In all honesty i don't think all the contributors, great and small had something "interesting an unique" to say,but thats my opinion.

It is however a very good book,i would recommend it,just for me a smaller interview section replaced by a stats section would have made it perfect.sorry :P

Iris, are you honestly saying that you'd rather see page after page of boring statistics than read the tributes of some 60 people from the world of speedway, all with something interesting and unique to say about Wiggy!

Please no!! I hate statistics and am not the slightest bit interested in them. If I had known there would be loads of "facts & figures" then I wouldn't have bought the book. It was brilliant and thanks for the chance to have a little insight into Simon's life & family, as well as his speedway/longtrack career. Great stuff. :approve:

Arrrggggh!

Before anyone reminds me, everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, but the last two comments leave me dumbfounded and a bit puzzled as to what exactly speedway fans expect from a book.

What do people ever expect from any book? Different things... This one didn't quite do it for me.

Dumbfounded look's like a nice word. Thats what I am about your comment. Why would you spoil your day enough to post, from something two persons have said, when apparently so many have praised the book? I'll try and read it through sometime...

I thought it was a great book

Poor Simon died before the book was finished so there is bound to be some filler pages but i thought this was done very well

Best thing about the book was it did not make out that Wiggy was a saint but after reading it He was your hero and wished he was involded in speedway today

Personally, I felt it was a terrific book.

Obviously, Wiggy's comments are the backbone of the book, and it made me sad that he isn't still around today, as no doubt he would be promoting somewhere and making a damn fine job of it!!

However, it's clear that the interviews with Gareth Rogers didn't cover everything, as they couldn't be expected to, due to Wiggy's passing, and this is where the comments of Julian Wigg, Charlie Wigg, and the riders / promoters / sponsors who knew him come in.

It gives a chance for the whole story to be told - otherwise e.g. Wiggy's time at Exeter and King's Lynn would not be covered. And, personally, I found the comments of some, such as Ivan Mauger, who clearly was a friend as well as a mentor of Wiggy's, quite moving.

And the fans section was a nice touch as well (although I would say that, having contributed to it!), showing the impact that Wiggy made to those stood on the terraces.

All the best

Rob