British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Wiggy!-new Book In Tribute To Simon

When Bruce Penhall walked out on Cradley in 1982 he left a massive hole, both in terms of points scoring ability and personality.

That Simon Wigg was able to fill that void (in both categories) when he rode full time in 1983 is a testament to the qualities of the man.

He just had one of the best smiles didn't he?

My best memory of Wiggy was back in 1983, Part of the deal that bought wiggy to Cradley was that Cradley had to agree to take a full strength team to Weymouth for a challenge match, As per normal A coach load of heathens made there way to weymouth for a day out followed by the meeting. When we arrived in weymouth who do we bump into on the go karts - wiggy and Phil collins probably 2 of the nicest and funniest guys ive ever had the pleasure of meeting anyway after wrecking the go karts and taking the mickey out of the attendant Wiggy and Flyer (Phil Collins) decided to go into the joke shop and purchase policemens helmets they then proceded to direct the traffic in weymouth high street and managed to bring it to a standstill !!! one of the funniest things i have ever seen.

Wiggy - A super, funny guy, and propbably the most naturally talented alround motorcyclist this country has ever seen - Greatly missed but very very fondly remembered

Guest cheetahhawk

Here is the piece that I wrote to tmc to put in the book about Wiggy.

I first really came across Wiggy when he rode for Hackney in 1987. I always found him to be very approachable and was always willing to sign autographs for my children and me.

However my best memory of Wiggy is after we moved from London to High Wycombe after Hackney's closure in 1991.My twin sons passed the exams to go to John Hampden Grammar school in High Wycombe and in our local paper around the same time,there was an article about Wiggy visiting his old school which was John Hampden.I wrote to Wiggy,who was riding for Coventry that year to tell him about my twins going to that school and also to tell him about the centenary celebrations that the school were holding. A few weeks later Simon very kindly answered my letter and enclosed a couple of signed photographs of himself in action. He said in the letter that he hoped that my sons would do well at the school.

Considering that he had a very busy schedule I thought this was really nice of him.

I really miss seeing Wiggy round the tracks as he was always cheerful and smiling even when he was ill. I have been very ill myself this year but like Wiggy I have always tried to keep smiling and stay positive.

A lovely guy who will always be missed .

RIP Simon.

I took my log in name from a comment made by Simon Wigg.

He was being interviewed by a magazine (can't remember when or for what mag), and was asked something like 'What's the best way to ride speedway?, to which he replied, 'drop the clutch and keep turning left'.

I thought that was brilliant and never forgot it!

Wiggy - A true English sportsman, who will never be forgotten. He was a world-wide name on longtack, shale & grass and someone who was not only respected for his racing but also for who he was and what he stood for. His distinctive green leathers and white wheels made him so easy to see when you were stood on the 2nd bend at a grasstrack, he always had a smile on his face and seemed at home on the rostrum. Real sadness was felt when he was taken away from the sport he loved and the people who loved him. May he be resting in peace, with a smile on his face.

Edited by Ruby Tuesday

One of my fondest memories with Wiggy was standing by the pits at Oxford in 1994 when Sheffield were the visitors. Jiri Stancl Jr was riding for the Tigers in one of his first appearances in England. He was wearing some bright green leathers, very much like Simon used too. I commented to him about the leathers and he quibbled 'Jiri needs to learn to gate as they help to dazzle the back markers!’

JD, Reading

Edited by J-D

20.09.1992 (?); Poland, E-league meeting Stal Rzeszow - Unia Tarnow (at Rzeszow). Classic speedway derby, two teams that fans don't "like" each other and stadium full of them, hot atmosphere. Wiggy riding with Tarnow.

Wiggy was riding somewhere in Germany just a day before (saturday evening) and Rzeszow management set the meeting start on... 11 in the morning with hope that Wiggy won't manage to arrive to Rzeszow on time and Rzeszow beats Unia.

10.55 - Wiggy arrives at the stadium. No preparations, no test-riding. About 11 first heat of the meeting: Jacek Rempala and Wiggy vs. J.Stachyra and Slaczka. Wiggy won this heat (Rempala 2nd), and... set a brand new track record. Final score: Rzeszow 42, Tarnow 48, Simon scored 13+1.

That's how Wiggy became a hero of Unia Tarnow, and that's how he's going to be remembered forever by Unia' fans.

Edited by Champion

Legend and is it just me that thinks the sport would be in a far better situation than it is now if the man was alive today.

Received my copy today. Thanks Tony. It looks brilliant and I look forward to reading it when I can prise it off my husband.

Great to know there will be a book about Kenny Carter coming out next May as well. Will have to get my name down for that one. :)

Tony - just a quick note to say that the book has arrived and its a very rivetting, very emotional book.

Although you never forget certain riders, its not until you read something like this that you realise how much you miss them.

Well done to all concerned.

Not sure this is the right place to post this but it's with regard to the Simon Wigg feature in Backtrack this month.

I have just sat and read the above mentioned article and had me in tears so much so I've asked for his book for christmas, the article was very well put together and enough to give a little taster for the book....... I want to read more.

Well done all at Backtrack for yet another fantastic edition :approve: Hans Nielsen my god where did all that hair come from was he like a Girls World turn the handle and it appeared :approve:

Somebody close to me got his copy for Xmas, very pleased too his is with it and can't seem to put it down. Keeps reading out bits to me all the time, so looks like I'll be having a read in due course. :approve:

Just received my copy for Christmas.

Its the best speedway book I've ever read.

Not overloaded with stats like many speedway books, it gets to the personal side of a truly great motorcyclist.

Its emotional for sure, in particular the articles written by his Wife, Brother, etc.

What a legend.

Guest cheetahhawk
Just received my copy for Christmas.

Its the best speedway book I've ever read.

Not overloaded with stats like many speedway books, it gets to the personal side of a truly great motorcyclist.

Its emotional for sure, in particular the articles written by his Wife, Brother, etc.

What a legend.

I also got this book for Christmas and am really enjoying reading it, even if some bits have made me shed a tear or two.

Can't put it down,if I'm not on the forum I am reading my speedway books,good job I don't have to go to work at the moment so I can read to my heart's content.

I am sure if dear old Wiggy was still with us he would most definately contribute to this forum as I'm sure it would appeal to his sense of fun. :D