British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ozyace

West Australian U16 Title & Best Pairs.

For those of you interested the Western Australian state under 16 title & best pairs will be run this weekend at the newly formed speedway track on Pederick Rd. Pinjar (near Wanneroo)

The state title will take place on Saturday with practice starting at 10.00 and racing starting at 11.00.

The hot favourite will be Ty Woffendin son of former Scunthorpe star Rob Woffendin. The abscence of current champ Bob King should see Ty who a couple of weeks ago was giving Danial Harding a run for his money on the 500cc bike win the title.

There will also be 250cc and 110cc sidecars and 2 500cc heats with Danial riding alongside Mark Jovic and Nigel Roberts (on one of Johno's bikes) tracking around the smallish but wide track.

So Timbo get your backside trackside and Stats, i look forward to reading all about it in Wednesdays West. :approve:

Btw: please don't blame the commentator for any mistakes, i was the best they could come up with at the time, look out Bryn. :P

Edited by Ozyace

Hi Darrell Branford from adelaide here, how is the junior scene looking over west this year.What are the numbers like at the moment, we are dwindling away fast over here.Do you have any pics of the new set up over there.

Regards Darrell

Good luck Ozy.

The Queensland Under 16 Title is on at Pioneer park next Saturday night, with a full field of sixteen riders.

We've got five coming up from the South with the locals filling the other places, and there are a few sitting it out too so things looking pretty good for the future in North Queensland.

Keep us informed of happenings on the Junior scene in the West.

Chopper,

So what's happened in SA? You were the strongest State by far not so long ago.

I will follow up with more details later, but the winner was Tai Woffendin. :approve:

Guest Sir Lunchalot
Chopper,

So what's happened in SA? You were the strongest State by far not so long ago.

Don't know the detail BH but the very broad picture is there were some political differences at the top at Sidewinders and the resulting fall out wasn't all that pleasant. I think you have the odd contact or two in SA, they might be able to fill you in a bit more.

Oh dear Lunchy,

I've only been involved in Junior speedway for a short time, but I've seen a few potential problems already...so I can imagine what kind of problems they have encountered.

I think we need to let the kids do the talking on track.

By the way Pioneer park had a practice yesterday, they ran from 4 till 9pm, a very good turnout of Junior Solos...they really are leading the way in the Townsville/Ayr areas.

Yes there has been a lot of crap going on over here BH.Try to keep out of it myself, but the upshot is my lad started a season and a half ago and including a ride at mildura has only had twelve meetings.There are no new riders coming into it, and we have lost atleast four to the seniors in the past year.For a sport that i consider to be reasonably cheap, compared to say motocross, i dont know why we are not attracting new riders.What have you been doing in ayr to attract new riders?From what i remember of ayr, when i raced there in the 1985 aussie titles it didnt have any where near the population of adelaide.

Regards Darrell

The big plus factor in Ayr is the meetings run at the Brandon Complex are joint speedway/dirt track, which means plenty of the riders are doubling up (they really give speedway exposure) as the club is very well supported by the dirt track brigade.

Right now we are also in th enviable position of having such supportive promoters at Pioneer Park, Shelly and Rhino Ryan have included the kids in their main program so with regular practices also the kids really do have plenty of track time, we are racing at least twice a month throughout the year, sometimes weekly.

For an area with such a small population to have two very good speedway tracks both running junior solos so close together is fantastic.....I just hope the BS that so obviously causes problems doesn't spoil things up this way.

The best pairs winners were, Tai Woffinden & Matty Cheshire. :approve:

Danial Harding won all his races also.

More details to follow.

Edited by Ozyace

Matty Cheshire eh.

No doubt related to Dave...how time flies by, I remember Dave arriving in England as a 16 year old in 1983?

Last time I saw Dave he was broken down alongside the road en route to Murray Bridge along with the rest of the WA entourage on their way to the practice for the Australian Titles

Heard on the grape vine about a change from two valve to four valve heads in 2006 regs.Is this correct and if so why are we changing rules that in the long run are only going to make the sport more expensive.

Regards Chopper

I've heard this too, the shupa 4 valves will be legal from 1st January. There also appears to be an increasing number of thumpstar engines appearing.

Anything that increases the expense is bad in my opinion.

Unlike the Honda's where parts are easy to find I'm wondering how difficult and expensive it will be to maintain the new bikes.....will they be that much quicker on the small tracks anyway?

Guest Sir Lunchalot
I've heard this too, the shupa 4 valves will be legal from 1st January. There also appears to be an increasing number of thumpstar engines appearing.

Anything that increases the expense is bad in my opinion.

Unlike the Honda's where parts are easy to find I'm wondering how difficult and expensive it will be to maintain the new bikes.....will they be that much quicker on the small tracks anyway?

I agree WWTBP, and at that stage is it all about speed anway ? I would have thought learning to slide the bike, learning track craft, getting used to being in close proximity to other riders,and learning to lay the bike down if they need to would be more important than outright speed.

Matty Cheshire eh.

No doubt related to Dave...how time flies by, I remember Dave arriving in England as a 16 year old in 1983?

Last time I saw Dave he was broken down alongside the road en route to Murray Bridge along with the rest of the WA entourage on their way to the practice  for the Australian Titles

Yep Matt is Dave's son only took up riding 6 month's ago and tries hard, but the win was on the back of Tai Woffendin who was brilliant all weekend.

Tai will be going over to England next year so look out for him.