British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Strange, But True

Just an invitation for readers to submit any memories of 'Odd Things' that you may have seen in your time supporting speedway, in the period between 1970-1980.

For example, does anyone remember a Romford v Hull match (1971), when Heat 10 proved so chaotic, with exclusions and mechanical problems, that rather than cause a further delay to the meeting, it was actually re-run AFTER heat 13!

Or, as someone on the forum mentioned some time ago, Cradley Heath staging several Saturday night 'home' matches at Belle Vue, when the Aces were racing away from Hyde Road?

Or Steve Watson (Workington) racing with a glass eye, and Dave Detemple (USA) racing with an artificial leg.

Or Shawn Moran riding under the pseudonym of 'David East' when he first arrived at Hull.

Or Mick Handley turning up for meetings and unloading his bike from the back of his lorry, having just driven straight from a his day job?

Or Peter Collins winning the KO Cup for Belle Vue in 1973 whilst operating BOTH clutch and throttle with the same hand.

Or Len Silver spectating among the Hackney crowd, after being banned in 1976 following his fracas with a ref at Swindon?

Or...you get the picture.

All contributions gratefully received.

Tony Mac

Edited by tmc

Just an invitation for readers to submit any memories of 'Odd Things' that you may have seen in your time supporting speedway, in the period between 1970-1980.

Tony, I remember Reading walking out of a meeting against Hackney after heat 10 when the match was poised at 30 - 30. Hackney recorded three 5 - 0's in the last 3 heats to win 45 - 30.

Also, Tony Featherstone wouldn't sign my autograph book on a green page because he thought it was bad luck! ;)

WHAT ABOUT THE MATCH AT LONG EATON, EASTBOURNE WERE 26-22 BEHIND, MIDLO DUCKED UNDER THE TAPES BUT DID NOT TOUCH OR BREAK THEM AND WAS EXCLUDED, EASTBOURNE WALKED OUT AND LONG EATON GOT ALL 5-0'S TO WIN 51-22, EASTBOURNE RODE IN THE SECOND HALF AS NOT TO LET DOWN THE SUPPORTERS!!! THINK IT WAS EITHER 74 OR 75 SEASON AND THEN TOM OWEN BROKE THE "T" POT IN THE REFS BOX AT ARLINGTON AS THOSE DIAMONDS WON 40-38 AT ARLINGTON, THINK THAT MAY HAVE BEEN 75 OR 76!

CANTERBURY FANS LIFTED THE EASTBOURNE FENCE OFF OF ITS HINGES ONE YEAR TOO! TERRY STONE WAS SOAKED BY MR DUGARD AS RAYLEIGHT CELEBRATED A WIN AT ARLINGTON, TERRY DUELY TOOK HIS OWN ACTION!! OH WHAT MEMORIES THEY AND MANY MORE ARE!

Can't remember the exact reasons or details, but wasn't there a meeting involving maybe Canterbury in the early 80s where Alan Mogridge was actually programmed in both teams?? I think it was something like he was withholding services for one team, so was listed as rider replacement and was guesting for the other team? Is that right.... somebody out there will know the exact story I'm sure.... :blink:

Tony, I remember Reading walking out of a meeting against Hackney after heat 10 when the match was poised at 30 - 30.  Hackney recorded three 5 - 0's in the last 3 heats to win 45 - 30.

Also, Tony Featherstone wouldn't sign my autograph book on a green page because he thought it was bad luck! ;)

I can't remember the exact circumstances, but in 1975 Oxford used a guest for John Davis (who had signed for Reading) in their opening match. The guest they used was.......John Davis!

Brian L's post also reminds me of a snowy day in Oxford - also in 1975 - when Cradley decided they had had enough and went home, leaving Oxford to ride on their own to win 58-14.

Can't remember the exact reasons or details, but wasn't there a meeting involving maybe Canterbury in the early 80s where Alan Mogridge was actually programmed in both teams?? I think it was something like he was withholding services for one team, so was listed as rider replacement and was guesting for the other team?  Is that right.... somebody out there will know the exact story I'm sure....  :blink:

Co-author to the rescue, falcace...

Alan Mogridge had signed for Canterbury at the beginning of 1986 but had asked for a transfer to Rye House. As a result of this Canterbury were given dispensation to use rider replacement. When Canterbury raced against Rye House, Mogridge was riding for Rye House while Canterbury were using r/r for him, so effectively he was riding for both teams.

OR....the race at Coventry in the 80's (?) which was re-run 3 times with a rider excluded each time, leaving just Rick Miller. He was then excluded by referee Geoff Dalby for not making a bona fide attempt to race because he was entertaining the fans popping wheelies on his way round. Race result 0 - 0. I shouldn't think that happens very often.

You could probably get more details from the man himself as he is a member of the forum......unless Ross has scared him off. :D

John Louis coming off at Reading on the second bend, his bike then getting up on its own and going down the back straight in a straight line all on its own before hitting the fence on bend three.

Co-author to the rescue, falcace...

Alan Mogridge had signed for Canterbury at the beginning of 1986 but had asked for a transfer to Rye House. As a result of this Canterbury were given dispensation to use rider replacement. When Canterbury raced against Rye House, Mogridge was riding for Rye House while Canterbury were using r/r for him, so effectively he was riding for both teams.

Thanks Norbold.... only in speedway could this happen... :rolleyes:

Love the Rick Miller one too... this seemed to be a bug bear for referees for a season or two in the 80s. Also remember Simon Wigg being excluded when popping a wheelie to celebrate winning his final ride at an England v Denmark (or was it USA?) test - thus depriving him of an 18 point max. :o

Edited by falcace

CANTERBURY FANS LIFTED THE EASTBOURNE FENCE OFF OF ITS HINGES ONE YEAR TOO!

Probably saving Mrs Moon who was trapped under it after a crash.

Someone rode round a track with candles strapped to the front as the power went at a stadium years gone by as well, oh and he was fined for it :wink:

Kai Niemi being excluded at White City in 1976 - the reason - no crash helmet!!

Two dead heats in one meeting! - a test match at Birmingham in 1975.

An awarded dead heat at Rye House v Peterborough in 1974. This came about

when both Rye riders were excluded and instaed of a second rerun the ref.

awarded the Peterborough riders 2.5 points each.

King's Lynn finishing bottom of the league mid 80's - 4 points I think

from two away victories - no points from home fixtures!

The 65-0 match at Peterborough when Birmingham walked out after the ref declared the track fit.Peterborough rode all the heats alone,then drew straws or something to decide who would take the Silver Helmet that Doug Wyer didn't defend.After that there was a junior meeting between the Panthers and Wimbledon rode without incident :P

Edited by iris123

The 65-0 match at Peterborough when Birmingham walked out after the ref declared the track fit.....

I went to one of those as well. :sad: Long Eaton 65 - Middlesbrough 0 because they packed up and went home. How boring is it watching two riders going round for a 5 - 0 in every race! :neutral:

Was at a meeting the other day Gem and because of riders not turning up and injuries in one heat there was only one rider.He came out done a lap and was awarded the heat :o

Meeting at Rayleigh 1970 or 71 cancelled part way through due to fog. Cant remember the opposition. Ask Dingle Brown - I bet he can remember . . .