British Speedway Forum
Phil

Tactical Ride / Tactical Substitutes Poll.

Do you think we should keep the Tactical Ride / Tactical Substitute?  

222 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think we should keep the Tactical Ride / Tactical Substitute?

• Yes
    • No

Interestingly (well, not really, actually), I was reading an old Speedway Star the other day and young Colin Pratt was complaining that an opposition team's top riders declined to appear in the Golden Sash, leaving just his Cradley Heath riders to ride against each other. That's the problem. It starts with the best intentions, but the top guys eventually tire of it and start to extract the urine.

How about starting the meeting with something like the old second half rider of the night series of races involving 3 heats and a final consisting of the 3 winners and the fastest second. This would also serve as a pre match practice and then we might have some closer matches ;)

That's not such a bad idea. In fact, it's a very good idea.

Then you could reasonably bill the actually league (or whatever) racing as the "Main Event". Sound thinking, young fellow.

What would happen if a rider or riders were injured in a pre-match event ? :rolleyes:

The whole tactical ride thing should be scrapped, along with the guest rider rule.

Dreadful, both of them, holds this sport back from being taken seriously.

Unfortunately its the BSPA who decided these things and they dont want to scrap either.

get rid of it, i hate it. bring back the old tac sub when 6 points down. then once your at 45 point u no you've won.

could have an 8 man team with normal 7 riders racing but if rider is under performing you can bring in the 8th rider to replace him. could keep meetings closer and more competative racing.

just a random spur of the moment thought!

Edited by sllimnitram

8 man teams , 18 heats, tac sub when 6 behind, no gold rides. Id prefer this though doubt it will happen! :rolleyes:

No Double Points

Opponent starts of 15 metres twice

Twice a team manager can nominate an opponent to start of 15 metres when his team are 8 or more behind. (each occasion must be different riders)

end score will be 48-42, 51-39, 46-44 not 51-43 etc

More passing also

get rid of it, i hate it. bring back the old tac sub when 6 points down. then once your at 45 point u no you've won.

could have an 8 man team with normal 7 riders racing but if rider is under performing you can bring in the 8th rider to replace him. could keep meetings closer and more competative racing.

just a random spur of the moment thought!

I with you, i like the 8th rider idea but not to sure how you could implement it would it be a 3 point rider or a points limit for 8 riders?

8 man teams , 18 heats, tac sub when 6 behind, no gold rides. Id prefer this though doubt it will happen! :rolleyes:

I liked it when we had 18 heats but I think of the extra points scored hence pay to the riders i think kills this idea, maybe we could have it in the KO cup? its not the first time we've had different rules for it.

Edited by k3v1n83

we seriously have to scrap the it's a knockout tactical joke it makes us look foolish other sports will look at speedway and they will see the black and white helmet colour demonstrating that one team despite losing heavily on the night and all in all being second best deserve double points now that just sounds silly doesn't it?

Edited by matty1071

:blink: I think Bob C has it right over tactical ride/substitutions. If you have a full team, not just two top ones, you do not need to use this silly system.

If all your riders are capable of scoring points, you do not get far enough behind to need to use this silly system.

Scunthorpe Scorpions have used it only twice, to my knowledge, this season. Both times due to having riders absent.

If one team have got so far ahead of the other team, it is that all that teams riders are taking points.

Too many teams pick a good number one and two but fail to realise, matches are won by teams who are capable in positions 3 4 5 6 and 7

Perhaps the method of rating/grading a rider needs a change.

But in my opinion, Scunthorpe have won over the last two years due to not only good top placed riders, but excellent reserves. Funny that our team can still hold its own, even after some due to increased points average/grading are moved up and others down to reserve.

A lesson for any team wanting to win at this sport.

Pick a good all round team. Not just import riders from a higher league and hope the rest can score.

i think the rule should be kept because it can work in favour for both teams. It makes the meetings closer.

This rule was supposedly brought in to protect the rider at number 2 in a team because the tactical substitue was nearly always used in heat 8, but the real reason the promoters brought this rule in was to save money. When this magic double points rule was brought in teams were allowed to change riders riding at number 2, 3 and 4. The tactical rule does not make a meeting closer when compared to the old tactical substitue.

Double points rule gains a maximum of 3 pts

Heat 8 tactical substitute ( should be a 4 - 2 to the home side) Home No 2 beating away No 2 and home No 7 beating away No 7, Away team uses a Tac sub (away teams No 1 or best rider on the night) and turns this heat into a 4 - 2 for the away side (home side - 2 away side + 2), a difference of 4 points.

Big problem with this the away teams No 1 has to be paid for scoring an extra 3 points.

Double points has always been a silly idea, in sport, points, goals, runs have to be earned. To double them just to manipulate the scores, makes the sport look Mickey Mouse at best.

How about this idea to help create closer meetings? When a team is eight points behind allow them choice of gate positions, until they are back within eight points, then reverse back to the programmed gate positions. We often see a certain gate having the majority of heat winners, so giving that gate to the team behind would give them the advantage, but they would still have to earn their points on the track fair and square. This idea would avoid the sport looking so 'It's a Knockout' to the viewing public.

Edited by Trevor

Double points has always been a silly idea, in sport, points, goals, runs have to be earned. To double them just to manipulate the scores, makes the sport look Mickey Mouse at best.

How about this idea to help create closer meetings? When a team is eight points behind allow them choice of gate positions, until they are back within eight points, then reverse back to the programmed gate positions. We often see a certain gate having the majority of heat winners, so giving that gate to the team behind would give them the advantage, but they would still have to earn their points on the track fair and square. This idea would avoid the sport looking so 'It's a Knockout' to the viewing public.

100% what I think also. In fact I have advocated all this previously. Well done. That's 2 of us . Any others would like to give it a try.

That is actually one of the best ideas i've ever heard!!!

i think the bspa should take that into account!!!

That is actually one of the best ideas i've ever heard!!!

i think the bspa should take that into account!!!

That's 3 of us now that thinks it's the way to go Any more?