British Speedway Forum
Phil

Tactical Ride / Tactical Substitutes Poll.

Do you think we should keep the Tactical Ride / Tactical Substitute?  

222 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think we should keep the Tactical Ride / Tactical Substitute?

• Yes
    • No

i think the rule should be kept because it can work in favour for both teams. It makes the meetings closer.

I think the tactical rule should be kept. Although i think it would be better if it was only used once

Once would be better but I would rather see it scrapped altogether.

I was so sick of the damage that this micky mouse tactical rubbish is doing to the credibility of the sport that I stopped going for about the last third of the 2006 season. I still think that the spectacle of good close racing is fantastic but I'm not prepared to pay good money to watch 'its a knockout'.

I detest the play-offs too! bah hombug :angry:

Noboby likes tactical replacement rides , unless your team are behind and your number 1 comes out and wins.

Does it deter new spectators, there are so many other rules and regulations, ie heat leaders, reserves and riders averages. To make it difficult for newcomers unless they go with someone knows the answers.

What else deters newcomers from coming again. Price of admission, speedway is generally cheaper than most Football teams, unless in lower leagues.

Facilities, ie seating areas,refreshments, toilets, please note Eastbourne, they are cleaner now but you cant get in and out, either knock down the wall or widen it.

So okay I've knocked it , but there are many things that are good, mostly the regular fans who even if you are sitting in thier favourite seat, will greet you and help you understand whats going on, and advise on where to go for refreshments

and how to fill out the programme.

My older brother first took me to speedway when i was about 7 or 8 years old, at the frying pan in New Cross. So what I hear you say, but if you have not been to see a live meeting recently, but rely on your news and views from the net.

SEE IT LIVE, ITS STILL THE BEST INVESTMENT YOU CAN MAKE, WITHOUT LOSING YOUR INTEREST, THATS A PROMISE.GET COMMITTED.

I know I am in the minority but I think its good for speedway, and I simply can't believe that people stop going because of it.

Surely we go for the excitement of seeing four lunatics roar round a track on bikes without brakes, and anything else is pretty irrelevant ?

The tactical rule makes matches closer, and therefore more exciting still. That's why it should be there and why I had no problem with two rides per match and still don't. Each team will gain and lose by its presence over the season.

What's more its not new. There's very little difference between the tactical rule and the old tactical substitute, which was in operation in the 1960's, which was applicable when a team was only 6 points behind and which was not subject to a limited number of uses. There were very few complaints about that.

I would rather go back to the old tactical substitute rule. At least there was something 'tactical' about that!

I will express my view which is that although there are problems with the Tactical Rule I think it made for a tremendous finish in the Peterborough v. Reading fixture.

Peterborough were down and out with no chance unless everything went for them including the Tactical Ride. It did and they won from nowhere.

Speedway traditionalists will always argue that "It is not like it used to be" well I am a cricket traditionalist and I prefer whites to pyjamas and I prefer 50 overs to 20 overs but I cannot argue with the paying public. They love the 20-20 format.

Speedway has to make the sport interesting and maintain that interest throughout a contest, regardless of the thoughts of those who know which is the best team (Reading). Two Tactical Rides allow a side that is down and out completely two chances to come back, so there is always hope (usually it does not materialise).

Speedway needs an injection of life and I think the Tactical Rides add that life. Away supporters who are 20 points to 4 down after 4 heats can think "There is always the Tactical Ride" and keep the faith instead of heading for the bar to drown their sorrows.

Another change that I think is necessary is that all senior teams should have a set of young reserves so that if a reserve gets injured in heat 2 it does not mean that one rider has to do all seven, or if there are two injuries some heats are run with only three riders. Unlimited 3 point reserves would (in my opinion) benefit the sport.

Just an opinion.

As a former Team Manager I deplore the current tactical rule, which was brought in to save money. I can't help but wonder how many people have stopped going because of it, in which case has it achieved anything? My preference is for the original rule which was any team in arrears of 6 points or more, after heat 4, had choice of gate positions and could put out a tactical change, provided that all members of the team had a minimum of 2 rides. This gave scope to the Team Manager to produce a closer match and gave the paying public better value for their admission money, with no loss of credibility like the present situation. One other comment is why do very few meetings start on time nowadays, and why long delays between heats? There is no valid excuse for this as during my time at Cleveland Park with Reg Fearman and the late Ron Wilson, as the parade returned to the pits the riders who were in heat 1 parked their bikes on the track, in addition heat 2 machines and riders were ready to go out as soon as the previous heat returned to the pits. We did get some complaints but these were from Reg or Ron that the announcer hadn't had time to put over information which they had requested.

One other comment is why do very few meetings start on time nowadays, and why long delays between heats? There is no valid excuse for this

Maybe it's because they now have to fill the evening with 15 heats instead of the 20+ we used to get when we got value for money.

Maybe it's because they now have to fill the evening with 15 heats instead of the 20+ we used to get when we got value for money.

Funny that. On Friday at Brandon, I was thinking about the Golden Sash competition that used to be run during the second half at Coventry. It was always a chance for the top boys to gain some revenge for defeats during the main meeting and ensured that the crowd stayed until the end of the meeting. The good old days eh?

As to the TR/TS debate; it does seem to be rather strange to any outsiders that a rider can be awarded double points just because his team are not doing very well. And to catch up 7 points in a single heat is surely bonkers. The old TS rule seems to me much more defendable.

Funny that. On Friday at Brandon, I was thinking about the Golden Sash competition that used to be run during the second half at Coventry. It was always a chance for the top boys to gain some revenge for defeats during the main meeting and ensured that the crowd stayed until the end of the meeting. The good old days eh?

Interestingly (well, not really, actually), I was reading an old Speedway Star the other day and young Colin Pratt was complaining that an opposition team's top riders declined to appear in the Golden Sash, leaving just his Cradley Heath riders to ride against each other. That's the problem. It starts with the best intentions, but the top guys eventually tire of it and start to extract the urine.