British Speedway Forum
Ian

Speedway's Greatest Scandal

i have a peter collins book somewhere, will find it out later and have a read up on it all, but in it, he mentions how somebody had put sugar in his fuel tank, which caused his bike to breakdown.  he only found out when he sent a fuel sample away to be tested

Ah yes, that's a good one too.  It was at the Coventry-hosted British Final in 78.  PC boiled it down to one of the guys who pushes the bikes out.  Now a conspiracy theorist would say that it was all part of a plot to eliminate one of Bees skipper Ole Olsen's big rivals on his way to the world title that year.  You might think that, but I couldn't possibly comment....  :rolleyes:  :wink:

It was alleged on the basis of strong circumstantial evidence, though never proven. I believe PC was put under pressure, possibly by the FIM, not to take any further action for the good of the sport. I never heard him talk about it later, and of course the Peter Collins Speedway Book (the one you are referring to, Falcace?) was published in 1977, before this event. However, I do have a copy of the video: Peter Collins - My Story. Will play it when I get time to see what he has to say about the event there. I suspect it will be little more than a footnote.

Edited by AndyM

Remember reading about Split Waterman in 'Nipper' Reads autobiography (he who nicked the Krays) aparently he made a brief case for someone, that had a false compartment for a gun. I ain't saying no more as I have an affliction to concrete boots!!!! :lol:

It was alleged on the basis of strong circumstantial evidence, though never proven.  I believe PC was put under pressure, possibly by the FIM, not to take any further action for the good of the sport.  I never heard him talk about it later, and of course the Peter Collins Speedway Book (the one you are referring to, Falcace?) was published in 1977, before this event.  However, I do have a copy of the video:  Peter Collins - My Story.  Will play it when I get time to see what he has to say about the event there.  I suspect it will be little more than a footnote.

Andy PC published 4 books, in 1976, 1977, 1978 & 1979. The Peter Collins Speedway Book No 3 (1978) has the article in it that Falcace refers too

Some would say that the sport's greatest scandal is the 40 points limit just introduced by the BSPA.

Some would say that the sport's greatest scandal is the 40 points limit just introduced by the BSPA.

Possibly this thread itself is a prime contender for the 'title' :sad:

Possibly this thread itself is a prime contender for the 'title'  :sad:

Maybe you could explain that to me, Berthoven. I don't quite get your drift.

Maybe you could explain that to me, Berthoven. I don't quite get your drift.

Certainly, Ian. At the time I was musing on the proverbial glass syndrome.

Half full vs half empty.

Any chance of explaining the explanation, Bert... :blink:

Not at present, Norbold. It's time to end my session on here. I'm now going to settle down with a cup of coffee and immerse my mental faculties into what appears to be a resoundingly rivetting read, to wit Speedways Classic Meetings by Norman Jacobs which has just arrived from Amazon.

I shall return.

There was also the case of Alois Wiesbock,who was banned for riding in a World Championship qualifier for his brother.I imagine like those marathon runners who go to the toilet and someone else comes out in their kit to complete the race.Alis brother goes to the loo and his Alois came out with the leathers and helmet on.... B)

Possibly this thread itself is a prime contender for the 'title'  :sad:

Ian & Norbold,

Thanks for your posts on my comment. That comment was completely out of order. Very occasionally something happens which throws me off balance emotionally [i'm not directly referring to my original post in saying that]. When this happens I sometimes get a little irascible, as in this case.

I can only ask you both to excuse that ill-mannered comment and beg your forgiveness.

Bert.

Ian & Norbold,

Thanks for your posts on my comment.  That comment was completely out of order.  Very occasionally something happens which throws me off balance emotionally [i'm not directly referring to my original post in saying that].  When this happens I sometimes get a little irascible, as in this case.

I can only ask you both to excuse that ill-mannered comment and beg your forgiveness.

Bert.

No worries Bert.

However, I have a bone to pick with you. At the time of reading your original posting I was just about to move into irascible mode (which I find enjoyable from time to time.) Your posting above takes the ground from under my feet - I will now have to do the irascible bit on another thread. Still, never mind. I have a sgnificant birthday later this month which, I think, qualifies me to do "curmudgeonly". I've been looking forward to this for years.

I hope you enjoyed Norman's book (I'm saving up for it).

Edited by Ian

No worries Bert.

However, I have a bone to pick with you. At the time of reading your original posting I was just about to move into irascible mode (which I find enjoyable from time to time.) Your posting above takes the ground from under my feet - I will now have to do the irascible bit on another thread. Still, never mind. I have a sgnificant birthday later this month which, I think, qualifies me to do "curmudgeonly". I've been looking forward to this for years.

I hope you enjoyed Norman's book (I'm saving up for it).

Thanks for that Ian.

Oh dear, now I have to apologise again - for earthquaking you!

See my post on the Fairy4Ever Birthday thread. I have yet another of the things on Saturday apparently. My next 'significant' one is in two years. That's when I get my free TV licence The next one of any importance is when I get my telegram from the Queen/King! :shock::lol:

I've only just started Norman's masterpiece of speedway history. It takes careful scheduling to divide my time between computing activities, reading, listening to music. All these intensely pleasureable activities have, of course, to give way to obeying frequently issued Management Instructions.

It's a grand life - but it does help to weaken sometimes :approve:

BTW: I think Amazon are, probably, the best source for Norman's book. Ordered mine 29 Nov. Despatched 1st class 30 Nov. Delivered 2 Dec. Price of book = £10.49 + postage. Can't tell you the postage as I ordered another book at the same time. Amazon do offer a free delivery service but this takes 3-5 working days.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2005 at 5:07 AM, norbold said:

Gold smuggling, gun running...nothing too trivial for our Split. :)

Split might have been Speedway's most colorful character ever. Thoughts?