British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sandman

22'' Tyres

Can anyone tell me why 22's were traded for 19'' tyres, and when? I cant come up with either for the life of me. :?

i think it was because they couldn't get the 19" tyre round the 22" rim.

In other words Steve, you, like me, dont know. 8)

yeah :D

I think it was in around 1949 and was done for a combination of reasons that included handling and gearing.

Interesting to note that no change has been made since then.

The rules relating to the construction and equipment on a Speedway Bike are many and quite complex in places, but it is interesting to note that rules are made up to cover the obvious and some of the not so obvious things have either no ruling or are open to contention.

For example, there is no ruling about what size wheels you can use, but the approved tyres will only fit one size, so that takes care of that.

Interesting annomolies are that Hydraulic Clutches are illegal, but a starter motor fitted to an engine would not be. Why anyone would find it necessary to make such rules can only be because at some stage they felt they needed to, in that riders were using bikes with Hydraulic Clutches and Starter Motors ???

There is also a clear rule that says that brakes are not permitted.

I suspect that there are rules still in force today that were laid down in the 30's and 40's.

Hope you find these facts interesting.

# Name Removed #.

Thanks for the info DC. I would love to see 22 " Tyres on the laydowns. Talk about rocket ships! :evil:

19'' tyres were introduced for the 1956 season,the idea was to bring more spectacular and closer racing,which failed!! And reduce costs,but following lots of arguments was not introducd until Aug. 20th.

They sure dress up the looks of a Speedway Bike. I think the word is wicked! 8)

The mail I had on the introduction of 19' rear wheels to speedway was simply because during the decline of speedway in the 1950's, there was only two manufacturers of 21' tyres and one ceased production of 21' tyres because of lack of demand and the other couldn't gaurantee supply. With a ready supply of almost ideal 19' trials tyres available, speedway authorities made the use of 21' wheels illegal and 19' wheels mandatory.

The last time I heard any discussion about rear wheel size was back in the early 1970's, when John Langfield fitted his bike with a 21' rear wheel. Nothing was said until he turned out for the Aussie test side against the British team, and then there was a bit of an uproar from the Poms, and quite rightly so. After that Langfield went back to a 19' wheel.

I think the main advantage with the bigger wheel is its larger diameter gives more tyre surface area contact with the track and thus more traction.

Guest rohar5

My understanding at the time was that Jack Parker had the sole import rights of 21 inch tyres so they were banned to avoid a monopoly. They were used on Grass Track bikes for many years after this. Lew Coffin one of the fastest gaters I have seen always used them.

rohar5

John 'Cowboy' Cook used 22" tires over in California last season, he may still be using them in 2003. They look wicked.

I would guess that is because they are! 8)

tires over in California last season

that would be due to his age...