British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
AdamLoweSpeedway

Lions Roar Back to Leicester

Do you think we could sneak into Blackbird Road and knock down a few houses to make way for a new stadium?

You know I've gone through Coventry/Cradley, Coventry/Wolves and even a bit of Coventry/Birmingham. But there will never be a rivally like Coventry/Leicester. I bet if Ray (Wilson) could be pursuaded to manage a side in Leicester, Nigel (Boocock) would come back from Oz. :)

Dont forget John Boulger!

Who could. He single handedly caused the whole Coventry team (except Nigel Boocock) to walk out of a league match at Blackbird road.

He single handedly caused the whole Coventry team (except Nigel Boocock) to walk out of a league match at Blackbird road.

Sounds like a good story Fd - Please tell us more......

Who could. He single handedly caused the whole Coventry team (except Nigel Boocock) to walk out of a league match at Blackbird road.

He was framed. 8)

Reminds me of that story by Hans Christian Andersen "The Emperors New Clothes".

Can you see something I can't Lt? :roll:

Do you think we could sneak into Blackbird Road and knock down a few houses to make way for a new stadium?

You know I've gone through Coventry/Cradley, Coventry/Wolves and even a bit of Coventry/Birmingham. But there will never be a rivally like Coventry/Leicester. I bet if Ray (Wilson) could be pursuaded to manage a side in Leicester, Nigel (Boocock) would come back from Oz. :)

huh?...could have sworn I saw him in the pits last nite at owlerton???? or are there two nigel boococks :?:

Just a picture that saddens me Gem.

Beautiful building that was and now gone the same way as a lot of beautiful buildings in Leicester. :-(

Krissie Is Nigel living over here again now?

I'll try and find my programme from this meeting and give you the full story. I remember writing a report on it and thinking I didn't want to go to speedway anymore. But then I was a hot headed youngster back then. :P

huh?...could have sworn I saw him in the pits last nite at owlerton???? or are there two nigel boococks :?:

No, he's called Eric.

Unless Nigel really is making a very rare visit to England.

Mmmmm...I thought as much but I didn't think Krissie would have such a Blonde moment as that. :P

I'll try and find my programme from this meeting and give you the full story. I remember writing a report on it and thinking I didn't want to go to speedway anymore. But then I was a hot headed youngster back then. :P

No, he's called Eric.

Unless Nigel really is making a very rare visit to England.

No, he's called Nigel!...lol

I guess there are two Nigel boococks then :)

Can we have a bit more info on the John Boulger incident? He caused a huge uproar at Claremont when he won the Australian Championship in 1971. The locals were convinced that Boulger had knocked their local hero, Chum Taylor off his bike as they were entering the main straight on the last lap of the last race.

When Boulger came out for the presentation, the crowd really got stuck into him, but later TV footage showed that while he had certainly got under Chum and moved him up to the fence, at no time did either rider or bikes touch. I always thought that the incident involving Bob O'Leary and Trevor Harding on the same night was something that deserved closer scrutiny. The result of those two coming together on the pits bend was one of the most horrifying crashes I have ever seen, with poor Trevor spearing headlong into the fence and suffering injuries so severe that he never raced again. O'Leary went on to finish second in the championship.

The way the heats were programmed that night meant that when the four riders came out for heat 20, any one of them could have won it, with Taylor and Boulger locked on 12 points and John Langfield and Bob O'Leary a few points adrift of them. The end of a very dramatic night saw Boulger win, O'Leary 2nd and Langfield 3rd. Langfield and Taylor finished with the same score, but there was no runoff for the place because Chum had been taken off to hospital.

Before he crashed, Harding's bike had been going like a rocket, apparently because it was running on nitro! Times have certainly changed.