British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
born_2b_mad

Conference League 2004

Ok then, a bit early but looking ahead to next season, how do we see the Conference League set-up panning out.

IMO

Firstly a proper set of rules would need to be in place, to stop all the current manipulation of current regulations (albeit legally of course! :shock: )

A basic but simple start could be.

1. Foreign Riders - Either ban them all (forget British Patriality) or allow them all (EU Rules spring to mind). If they are to be allowed a certain criteria must be met, i.e. should not be older than 18, must come into a CL team at Heat Leader status (Rory Schlein, Ben Powell, Corey Blackman, Joel Parsons, Matthew Wethers, they have all managed to reach this level very quickly).

2. Rider/Coach (‘Old Hands’) – These riders must be placed at Number 1 and may only ride in programmed rides (not allowed as Tactical Subs or in the Nominated Race), this gives the youngsters more track time experience.

3. Scrap Rider Replacement (Squads are made up of 12 members, so there are plenty of riders available).

4. Teams should be governed by the averages during the season, but not in the initial team building, current team building rules I don’t see a problem with. All newcomers should be assessed as follows, British 3.00 CMA, Overseas (if they are to be allowed) 8.00 CMA.

5. Riders to be ‘paid’ £5 per point plus travel expenses.

With the introduction of a possible 3 new teams (Weymouth, Norwich and Scunthorpe), some may say that the League structure is getting a bit too big for this level.

Hopefully all the teams riding this season will once again be around in 2004, so this could see the membership rise to at least 19. Of these 19 teams, 8 would be stand-alone and 11 would technically be reserve sides.

So why not place all teams into one League and split it into North and South sections.

Or why not split the Stand Alone teams to ride in the Conference League and the Reserves to ride in the Conference Trophy, that way we will not see the annihilations like the Wimbledon 71 Stoke 19 scoreline earlier in the season.

All just food for thought, what about the rest of you??

Hit the nail on the head Rach.....

first and foremost.... before you can even think about changing anything..you will have to get rid of Van Strattens glove puppet PETER MORRISH. a complete waste of space that cannot make a decision to save his life!

Then we can start looking forward !

Run the CL as a pukka 3rd div with same rules as PL and EL chenged where necessary to accomadate 3rd div issues. Open it to all eligible 3.00 riders form UK, EU and Commonwealth countries.

PLus keep CT for genuine 2nd teams only adn the CL open to all comers.

Guest bluerider87

I think Armadale will join the conference league next year as they wanted to join this year but missed the cut-off

Some really good ideas from B2BM and Rach, I particularly like the (long overdue) old hands limitation and overseas riders coming in at heat leader thus making it more biased towards young British talent.

I honestly don't think you can run it as a pukka 3rd division Dekker. I feel that to try and to so would take the emphasis away from improving young riders as clubs would see winning the 'title' as more of an aim than developing youth.

On the whole I am not in favour of 'north/south' league divides as I feel it can weaken rather than strengthen the overall standard. I may have to concede though that I can see the financial sense in it as a last resort at CL level. It just concerns me however if there are 3 excellent kids in the South and only 1 in the north any one season the kid in the north looses out on the chance to ride against more appropriate oppostiion and thus improve (or vice versa).

I think if the north/south league would be a good idea with a north/south challenge at the end of the season just to add a little spice. Maybe the top two from each half of the country to compete in a mini league (8 meetings). This would reduce costs for supporters and riders.