British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
KevH

Hans Nielsen

On 7/15/2020 at 7:01 PM, norbold said:

He must have sneaked an extra one in while no-one was looking as well. :rolleyes:

Wish Ove would give him one of his.!!!!! 1972 if only Norbold.

Edited by Sidney the robin

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Wish Ove would him one of his.!!!!! 1972 if only Norbold.

Quite the reverse I think, Sidney. Briggo owes Ove his 1957 win. Ove was the best rider in the world that year,

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, norbold said:

Quite the reverse I think, Sidney. Briggo owes Ove his 1957 win. Ove was the best rider in the world that year,

So was Ivan in 1973  along with Anders norbold,  but we all know luck pays a huge part in sport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

So was Ivan in 1973  along with Anders norbold,  but we all know luck pays a huge part in sport.

Yes, of course, Sydney. It would be interesting to see how many times the recognised best rider in any particular year did not win the title. 

8 hours ago, norbold said:

Yes, of course, Sydney. It would be interesting to see how many times the recognised best rider in any particular year did not win the title. 

It would  be very interesting to hear your views on that Norbold , the odvious one for me would be Hans Nielsen.In yesteryear i suppose Graham Warren would be mentioned and the immortal Vic Duggan who was stopped from  winning the title for different reasons.

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

It would  be very interesting to hear your views on that Norbold , the odvious one for me would be Hans Nielsen.In yesteryear i suppose Graham Warren would be mentioned and the immortal Vic Duggan who was stopped from  winning the title for different reasons.

I looked up Stenner's rankings and found these riders who didn't win the world title in the year they were ranked first:

1949: Jack Parker, 1950 Graham Warren, 1953 Jack Young. Of course there was no World Championship in 1946, 47 and 48 but Vic Duggan was ranked first in all three years.

And then the Speedway Star Rankings. Similarly, no. 1s who were not World Champion in their no.1 year:
1957 Ove Fundin, 1959 Ove Fundin, 1962 Ove Fundin.

Certainly looks as though Ove might have benefited from a Grand Prix style World Championship! Only Barry Briggs in 1958 interrupted his run of no. 1 rankings from 1956-1963

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, norbold said:

I looked up Stenner's rankings and found these riders who didn't win the world title in the year they were ranked first:

1949: Jack Parker, 1950 Graham Warren, 1953 Jack Young. Of course there was no World Championship in 1946, 47 and 48 but Vic Duggan was ranked first in all three years.

And then the Speedway Star Rankings. Similarly, no. 1s who were not World Champion in their no.1 year:

Certainly looks as though Ove might have benefited from a Grand Prix style World Championship! Only Barry Briggs in 1958 interrupted his run of no. 1 rankings from 1956-1963

I think Ove and Hans would of won more titles in a GP format  Norbold, for me those two named were better riders than Ricko.Sometimes we all forget just how good Jack Parker was and Stenners who named him as no 1 was really recognised and respected.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 10:08 AM, norbold said:

It should be mentioned that Ove was probably not one of the favourites in 1967 when he won his fifth world title but he was of course the best man on the night. Igor Plechanov is often mentioned as a contender for "best rider who never won the world title". A third place in his last ride that night cost Plechanov the chance of a run-off against Fundin who he had beaten earlier.

Edited by Split
  • Like 1

Nielsen was a great rider and probably the best I saw.. The first meeting I saw live was 1978 at Hyde Road.. 

Regarding Nielsen v Gundersen.. I would say Nielsen was the better all round rider and certainly a better team rider.. probably the best team rider I saw along with Ermolenko.. I think Gundersen on the big nights was quicker though and around Hyde Road was quicker than Nielsen consistently.. Gundersen was for me the best visiting rider I saw around Hyde Road along with Kenny Carter.. Some of the wide lines Gundersen took were amazing but day in day out on every track I'd say Nielsen was the best and most consistent rider I saw in my day since 1978..

• Like 1

Interview with Hans