British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
KevH

Hans Nielsen

From a neutral point of view, as I disliked both Hans and Erik equally being a Bradford fan(!), I would have to say Nielsen was the better rider for me. That's not taking anything away from Gundersen who was pretty special but of the two I would have rather seen Nielsen riding for my side.

Hans is right up there with Ivan, Tony and Ove in the very top bracket.

3 times winner and 3 times runner up (2 of which only came after a run off) from 84 to 89. Only Fundin and Mauger have put together such good runs in the top 2.

He then had a couple of quiet years and looked like he'd lost a bit of egde before he came back to challenge.

In 93 he was perhaps unlucky not to at least get another run off chance although Ermolenko was perhaps the better rider on the day. Desperately unlucky in 94 although he did get a run off chance he was the best rider and should have won it. Champion in 95 and just pipped by Hamill in 96.

10 top 2 finishes which isn't matched by Mauger, Rickardsson or Fundin! Pretty damn good however you look at it!

true ... Nielsen was the better 'all round' rider, but Gundersen was the one to have for world final night.

Nielsen looked more comfortable and had a style you couldn't miss whereas Gundersen would adapt his for each situation as it presented itself.

Two great riders though, and i feel privelidged to have seen both through their careers.

Kevin,

I'm sure I have got those figures, I'll have a dig around tomorrow night.

Many thanks Rob, also also many thanks to Gambo who came up trumps with the Coventry stats. And it goes without saying, cheers too to Steve for the tips.

1991 Oxford 24 141 360 10 370 10.50 4 1

1992 Oxford 25 139 348 8 356 10.24 3 1

1993 Coventry 41 226 544 24 568 10.05 3 2

1994 Coventry 37 190 456 18 474 9.98 2 4

Edited by moxey63

Hi Kevin,

Sorry, I've been a bit slow, but Hans's figures for 1989 to 1992 are as follows. I've also included 1989 & 1990, because although averages are listed in the British League 1965-1990 book, the Gold Cup competition is excluded from the figures. It gives some consistency to include the Gold Cup, as the League Cup - of which the Gold Cup was under a different name - is included.

1989 M 44 R 222 P 577 BP 13 TP 590 CMA 10.63 FM 9 PM 5

1990 M 42 R 223 P 531 BP 34 TP 565 CMA 10.13 FM 2 PM 6

1991 M 38 R 216 P 548 BP 21 TP 569 CMA 10.54 FM 5 PM 3

1992 M 32 R 176 P 448 BP 9 TP 457 CMA 10.39 FM 5 PM 2

All the best

Rob

Hans also still holdsthe record of most Gold FIM medals which I believe was 22.

Think this will stay a record for a long time now as their is no longer the Pairs title to race for.

He may have won 2 less than TRick, but Hans was the better rider

I might be wrong and im sure someone on here will confirm ---- but if Hans holds the record for fim gold medals it must be more than 22 because im sure Erik won 22, Hans had more individual speedway titles than Erik but Wunder Gunder had 2 Longtrack gold medals and did Erik not win a few pairs/team medals when Hans was left out of the danish team after his fall out with Ole, Well im not sure but im sure someone on here will confirm

This goes against the grain for a Cradley fan to agree with a Wolf but i also think Hans was better that trick

Edited by rami

On those occasions when Mr Nielsen bit the Belle Vue dust certain younger members were known to sing 'Hans Nielsen bumps-a-daisy!"

Edited by Ludwig_ron_BertHoven

also the fact that hans enjoyed a 20 year career,wheras erik only had 11 years must come into play-at the time of gundo"s tragic accident he was ahead of neilsen as far as world title/pairs/team/longtrack medals are concerned,tho admittedly hans always pipped erik to the BL averages title-the fact that erik only ever rode for cradley,and was seemingly as proud of being a heathen as danish,makes the guy a bit of a god like figure to this day in the black country,comparisons with modern riders such as trick is difficult however-over a GP series hans may well have been the best ever,the GP didnt really come into play until he was past his best-in his heyday consistency was very much the name of his game,wheras gundo was very much the master of adapting,and mastering the big occasion,ideally suited to the one off world final format-whatever-i was privelleged to see both throughout their careers i guess as well as prob the most underated dane ever in janno pedersen,who may well have eclipsed them both(and in exciting fashion) had it not been for such awful luck with injuries

Rekindle your love and join virtual skid tomorrow at 7pm when for one night only the Heathens and the Bees return to track..... 15 race, 2 VTMs, 1 winner.... unknow result..

For one night only... Cradley and Coventry Ride again....

Friends, fans and brethren please spread the word.

Our Virtual Skid project next airs tomorrow, Thursday 16 July and features the Heathens going wheel to wheel against the Coventry Bees from the 90’s. Please come and join us on Speedway Portals Youtube channel, like our FB Page Virtual Skid and Twitter @skidvirtual

Each Heat is sponsored (as are the team managers Garry Stead and Adam Roynon). The Speedway Riders Benevolent Fund will be the sponsorship recipients.

Additional donations are being taken. Don’t  forget the SRBF text line is now open for you to be able to donate £5 - its quick and easy and you will be supporting a great cause. 

Text SRBF to 70085 or SRBFNOINFO to 70085 if you do not want any marketing updates.

Here is the legal bit....

Text SRBF to 70085 to donate £5
Texts cost £5 plus one standard rate message and you’ll be opting in to hear more about our work and fundraising via telephone and  SMS. If you’d like to give £5 but do not wish to receive marketing communications, text SRBFNOINFO to 70085. 

If you haven’t tried Virtual Skid yet, search Speedway Portal and follow the links to one of the five meetings that have already been screened.

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

I am sure Briggo won five ???? 

He must have sneaked an extra one in while no-one was looking as well. :rolleyes: