British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Issue 12

Issue 12 it out now...

Main Man – Scott Autrey

The man who led American speedway back to the top, Scott was the US trailblazer in the early 70s, paving the way for the stars and stripes heroes who followed him to Britain. In our latest major exclusive, Autrey explains why he left California to seek his fame and fortune in the British League and why, after becoming World No.3 at Wembley in 1978, he did not quite go on to reach the very top. Scott, now living in Texas, also reflects on how he conquered the spectacularly dangerous Exeter track as well as his spells with Swindon and Poole. The lessons he learned from his Falcons team-mate Ivan Mauger. Read why Bruce Penhall wasn’t the first American speedway movie star. Scott considers, too, what it was like being the ‘Old Man’ of the exciting USA Test team that triumphed over England and later won its first ever World Team Cup.

Our top columnist, John Berry, also provides his perceptive insight into the highly popular Autrey.

Also featured…

Armando Castagna

The popular ‘Italian Stallion’ on his struggle to put himself and Italy on the world speedway map, his British League experiences with King’s Lynn, Ipswich and Reading. Castagna also reveals the rider he disliked most – and why.

Edward Jancarz

Fourteen years after the former Polish No.1 was murdered at his Gorzow home, the city where he made his speedway name, lived and died has now honoured him with a permanent memorial statue. In a fascinating, if at times sad, in-depth analysis, supported by the very candid views of Eddie’s first wife, we trace the dramatic rise and fall of one of Poland’s greatest ever riders, who spent all of his British League career with Wimbledon Dons before alcoholism destroyed him.

Alan Wilkinson

Latest in our series of exclusive interviews with wheelchair-bound ex-riders. The former Belle Vue captain looks back on his career with Rochdale and the successful Aces before the 1978 crash that put him in hospital for nine-and-a-half months and left him paralysed. Wilkie also recalls the crash in the home match v Swindon that changed his life.

Dave Younghusband

One-time England international who was a British League championship winner with Halifax before less happy days with Cradley Heath and then going on to manage Newcastle’s all-conquering National League team. Dave reveals how he needed all of his renowned Yorkshire wit to help cope with a family tragedy.

Remember 1973?

Jerzy Szczakiel – who? – ‘stole’ the World Championship from Ivan Mauger’s grasp…England dumped their Anzac allies to go alone and win the WTC at Wembley…Reading and Boston were the respective league champions…Michael Crawford was driving everyone mad as Frank Spencer…glam rock was set to dazzle us…young boys and girls were sucked in by the Chopper bike craze…and Ted Heath’s Tories led us into the EEC Common Market before petrol rationing and a fuel crisis. Join us for a detailed look back at the year of 1973, on and off the track.

Glyn Taylor

He could beat the best of his fellow Australians back home in Perth during the 70s, but Glyn Taylor’s BL career with Reading, Crewe and others was largely unfulfilled. Now he faces another challenge in his skills as a reputable track curator, building the new circuit at Redcar.

Edgar Stangeland

One of the early Norwegians to make his mark in the BL, Belfast-based Ed recalls his days with Newport, Exeter, his beloved Swindon and Wimbledon before being handed the poisoned chalice that went with constructing the controversial Bristol track.

Plus…

A quick word with Geoff Bouchard, John Berry runs the rule over the British League champions of the 70s, another successful Sunderland reunion, your letters and more great memories from golden days gone by.

Can't get it from your track this week? Obviously!

Then isn't it about time you subscribed and brought all those great days flooding back...

A six-issue (one year) subscription (UK) still costs only £16.00. Or £22 Europe, £30 Rest of World.

And word has it that the cover price will be increasing soon at the tracks, so best to save a few pounds because subscription prices are to remain as they are. You know it make sense...

Just phone us on 01708 734 502 (civilised hours, naturally!) and have your credit/debit card handy. Alternatively, subscribe online at http://www.retro-speedway.com

Take care.

Tony Mac

Received mine yesterday Morning, 'im indoors moans as nothings gets done due to me taking time out to read :wink: excellent love all the pictures and stories from yesteryear :approve:

Blimey is that really Chris Louis bless him :P

Excellent as always...Liked the 1973 snippets - Hackney splash out £1,500 for Barney Kennett :o etc. Keep that article going! :)

Received mine the other day, I have to read it in instalments otherwise I'll be there for hours :D

Wonderful stuff Tony, brings back so many memories. I well remember going to that 1979 benefit meeting for Alan Wilkinson.

Enjoyed reading the Scott Autrey and Castagna (love the choice of language Armando! hehe) articles, can't remember all the riders covered but I can them :)

Edited by Trees

i think the Edward Jancarz article was very moving and sad.. Such a tragedy and waste... of a life.. i guess it goes to show we never know what goes on behind closed doors of others.. steady eddie was a top notch, class act on a speedway bike, one of the best poles ever, and during his career a total gentleman to his many fans.. gut wrenching article...